What's the oldest piece of clothing you own?

LauraMax

Cathlete
Let's lighten things up a little today, shall we?

I'm kinda strange in that I know the exact history of pretty much every article of clothing I own. On Saturday I was wearing this old, beat up henley, men's size XL, that I got from a J Crew outlet in college. Which makes it (gulp!) about 16 years old.

I also have a couple of Nike shorts from 1992 with rises that actually go above my navel (from the Nike outlet in the same shopping center as the J Crew henley). :D

And I did save 2 spandex miniskirts, one black & one brown (you know, the kind you wore to clubs in the early 90s, before HOT became HO?) that I had when I weighed >100 lbs (don't know where I got them, probably the 5-7-9 Shop, remember it?). I don't think I could squeeze one onto my thumb now. :eek: I saved them just to remind myself how teeny I used to be. I know I still have them somewhere, but w/all my moves I'm not quite sure exactly where. They're are in a box somewhere, & my dreams of ever wearing them again will remain dreams. :)

So share your oldest, still wearable article of clothing.

i have the sweatshirt i wore on my first date with my dh....
we went to a haunted house, i was 15. im 29 now so i guess that would make it 14 years old!:D

A beautiful sweater my grandmother knit for my dad. It's maroon and cream, the type with prancing (no offense meant) raindeer and snowflakes.

When my younger brother was in high school, I stole his Russion Club sweatshirt and still wear it at least once a week when it is cold. That would make it 20 years old. :)

I have a t-shirt that I got while being on the track team as a freshman in high school. It's from 1976 so that makes it 32 years old. And yes, it still fits!!!

I have an old Illinois sweatshirt from the early 80's. Also some suits from the 80's when I wore suits everyday to work. A couple still fit, the others I gave to my daughter who loves retro stuff.

OK...I have this pair of plaid pants from the late 80's:eek: that I keep in my closet to keep me in check weight-wise. If I can get them on, zipped & buttoned, I'm doing good. If I can't even get them over my hips, its time to cut back. Cheaper than a scale and no specific number to worry about.

FYI- I would not wear these out in public even if they fit perfect. 1980's and plaid....need I say more:confused:

JJ

I take what I said back!
Dorothy just reminded me of something. ....I have a vintage coat from the 70's that I bought on ebay. It's a really cool looking plaid, car length coat(similar to a pea coat). The plaid and the length looks great with tan leather boots:D
Is that retro or vintage?

I have a few T-shirts and some lingerie that I got sometime in the mid eighties, and I still wear a classic blazer that I bought in the mid nineties.

I have some old T-shirts that are from high school -- so they're about 20+ years old. I don't wear them outside the house since they're a little threadbare, and I'd probably get thrown in jail for indecency. ;)

My DH, though, has a T-shirt from when he was in elementary school that still fits him, and he's 37!!! (No, he's not tiny, the shirt is just big!) It's full of holes, but he loves that thing. :p

Last edited:
Does outerwear count? I have my dad's Navy pea coat. He served during the Korean War, so it's over 50 years old. He was posted to the Phillippines, so he never wore it when he was on active duty.

anne

Old threads & shoes

I just retired a pair of 28 yr. old ankle high cowboy boots (the leather in the foot was cracked, so I pitched them AFTER I bought a new pair); I still have a 28 yr. old pair of regular cowboy boots; and lastly is a lacey top, circa 1977, that I bought at a store called Winkleman's that has long since gone out of business.

Not sure of the age, but old for sure, is a long Pendleton wool coat I got from my mother - got to about the age of the boots for sure. It's still beautiful, and I need to wear it more.

When I was in high school, in 1975, I took a sewing class and made a bathrobe that I still wear to this day. I had already been sewing since I was 12, so the robe was not my first effort. Other robes have been given to me as gifts and I'll wear them for awhile, but I keep going back to my old favorite.

That makes it 33 years old! I've resewn the seams a time or two. Other than that, it's held up pretty well.

Diane

My oldest piece of clothing that I still wear is an orange Izod top from when I was in 8th grade. I was a twirler and our school colors were orange and white. For our pep rally costumes, we wore a white bibbed skirt with some sort of embroidery on the bid part and these shirts underneath. It still fits perfectly and is in great shape! It had been put away and not worn for a long, long time but then I found it and thought - well, why not?? It is 27 years new :p I have my grandmother's cashmere coat that is even older than that - probably older than me - but I don't wear it.

Not sure of the age, but old for sure, is a long Pendleton wool coat I got from my mother - got to about the age of the boots for sure. It's still beautiful, and I need to wear it more.

When I was in high school (some decades years ago :eek:) my Mom gave my sister and I a Pendleton wool suit (pencil skirt and jacket) that she had worn in high school. We got a LOT of wear out of that suit, and you'd never guess that it was 20+ years. Well made classics really hold up.

Is a wedding dress clothing, because I still have that too, and was married in 1982....and it is slightly too big!

Okay, I admit it...I was a cheerleader in High School my sophomore year :eek:. The sweater does still fit and I wore it as part of a Halloween costume a couple of years ago. I was a sophomore in 1975...YIKES!!!! I also have a really nice Hawaiian shirt I got in Hawaii in 1977...:D

I have a basic black winter coat that is about 17 years old. I bought it a year or two before I moved to AZ. Since I rarely need a winter coat here I never bothered to buy new one. As for non clothing items, I have a fake fur blanket with a bear on it that I got for Christmas when I was 13, I'm 48. I use it all the time and all of my cats over the years have enjoyed it. I also have a comb made of olive wood that I got at a street market when I was 16. I love it and use it every day.

I have a t-shirt that I wore for cheerleading camp. That was in 92. I'm 31 now. So, that makes the shirt 16 years old. :p

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.