What's the going babysitting rate?

BAM

Cathlete
My 17 year old niece babysits on and off. She just babysat over the weekend for a new couple. They have 2 kids. They ended up paying her $6.00 an hour. She's babysat for others who have given her $8-10 an hour. I suggested that she set a rate in the future so there's no guessing as to how much she'll get paid. So what's a reasonable amount to charge and how would you base it depending upon how many kids you're babysitting for? TIA

Good Question!!! I don't know either but we are looking at
talking to a 16 year old girl in our neighborhood. We were
having my husband's niece (16) watch our two children but
she doesn't change diapers. We would give her $60.00 and that
would be for no more than 4-5 hours. I told my husband I didn't
feel comfortable with my two babies in wet diapers! It was insane.
Plus she is not the most talkative kid which makes me uneasy.
Sorry to vent. I believe this time around we will ask how much the
sitter charges and go from there.

Jennifer Claire 12/24/05
Taylor Elizabeth 08/22/07

WOW!!! That's a lot of money! She won't change diapers? What does she think babysitting entails? She probably should only babysit for kids that are older and don't wear diapers. I hope you find luck with the 16 year old. I know the FIRST question you'll probably ask her. ;-) Good luck.

I'm in CT and the going rate here for a teenage babysitter is $10/hr. $6/hr is chicken feed! Sorry she was taken advantage of like that. (My jaw is still on the floor about the teen who wouldn't change diapers!)

Jonahnah
Chocolate IS the answer, regardless of the question.

Um, if you're babysitting "babies" you should not only know how to--but you MUST change diapers. No ifs, ands, or buts.

I haven't babysat in a few years but I would always get between $8-$10 an hour. Especially if you're staying out really, really late or if someone is babysitting during the day. The parents staying out late at night is hard for a babysitter and when you are out during the day, the babysitter must work much harder--playing with the kids, feeding them meals, etc.

Just my .02. :)

Allison

http://www.picturetrail.com/allisonj90

Thanks everyone! Just so I understand, should she get the same rate no matter how many children there are? I mean other than an Angelina Jolie crew. ;-) Thanks again.

It may depend on the region; I'm in MD. But, when the boys were smaller & one was in diapers we always paid $10/hr (INCL. diaper changes!). Now they are 5 & 10 (he's pretty self sufficient) and we usually pay about $8/hr.

Another consideration: does s/he drive or do we have to pick up/take home. To us, driving is always worth a little more.

As another poster said, staying really late or doing a whole day is worth extra as well.

HTH!

rose2boys

Keep smiling & sweating!

>It may depend on the region; I'm in MD. But, when the boys
>were smaller & one was in diapers we always paid $10/hr (INCL.
>diaper changes!). Now they are 5 & 10 (he's pretty self
>sufficient) and we usually pay about $8/hr.
>
>Another consideration: does s/he drive or do we have to pick
>up/take home. To us, driving is always worth a little more.
>
>As another poster said, staying really late or doing a whole
>day is worth extra as well.

Ah yes, very good points! The ages are a big deal. I always LOVED babysitting older kids (8 years old +). They totally entertain themselves!

And the driving is important. I was definetely paid more once I was able to drive.

Allison

>Thanks everyone! Just so I understand, should she get the
>same rate no matter how many children there are? I mean other
>than an Angelina Jolie crew. ;-) Thanks again.

Well, the number of kids counts I guess, but it's more the ages, IMHO. If you have a brood that are basically the ages of Angelina's kids (almost ALL under 5) than that's gonna be a pricey night out for the parents. But if the ages have a larger range and one or more of the kids can be slightly self-sufficient, than the price wouldn't be as high.

God, there's so much to consider for parents just to be able to get a #%$@ night out!!

Allison

The last time I had a sitting job (many many years ago) the going rate was $2.50 an hr. I only got that much because I was in high demand. I was good! Not only did I play with the kids (jumped around, played tagged, hide and seek, changed diapers, gave them baths) but I also cleaned up our messes and cleaned what needed to be done (swept the floor, did the dishes). Things have changed over time. WOW!

Janie

4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif
[/url]

The idea is to die young as late as possible.

>The last time I had a sitting job (many many years ago) the
>going rate was $2.50 an hr. I only got that much because I
>was in high demand. I was good! Things have changed over
>time. WOW!

Yeah, but gas is also over $4 a gallon too. Things certainly have changed.

Allison

Allison,

You can say that again.;-) The gas rate at that time was 25 cents a gallon!:D We'll never ever see that again.

Janie

4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif
[/url]

The idea is to die young as late as possible.

We pay $8 an hour if it is for my three girls (10, 9, 9). I think that is a lot considering the babysitter is in high school and notclaiming taxes. I'm not used to paying for babysitting as I also have teenagers, family and friends who help out in a pinch.

Anyhow, the sitter usually babysits for a few hours at a time. I don't require her to feed my children. My girls are old enough to feed themselves already prepared food. My kitchen is open to the sitter. She watches tv or they play games on the computer. I do have a rule of no friends. I don't want my home a hang-out for her friends. She lives across the street, so transportation is not an issue.

I never paid sitters more for babysitting late into the night. For one, the kids were sleeping and so was the sitter. I always tried to pay the babysitter a few bucks more than an agreed upon rate because I appreciated them.

As far as charging more if there are more children, I think that depends on the children (ages, temperament, etc). I once had a teenage sitter tell me how much she charged per child. Totally turned me off, even though I probably paid my teenage sitters more than what this girl charged. I guess it's because my eldest dd helps more than makes more work for the sitter.

When my daughter is old enough to babysit, she will meet the family first, access the children's temperament, and what is required before deciding if she will babysit. Sometimes it's not worth watching someone's kids no matter how much they are willing to pay. Same goes for the parents. I would never pay someone to watch my babies and not change their diapers!!! That's just wrong on too many levels. After meeting the children, she can decide how much to charge per hour or a flat rate per evening.

Hope this helps.

Wendy

Also, thanks for the MyChelle advice. I did find a mature sample kit. Tropical Skin Smoother is still my absolute favorite. And, the Revitalizing Night Cream is the best cream for my skin out of all the moisturizers! The fine lines are less noticeable!!! My dh even commented that he should start using the stuff I use on my skin.:7

Heck, I'd pay $8 per hour here in CA in the Bay Area your talking $12-$15. Gosh darn it, as much as I love CA everything seems so expensive here. Even with real estate taking a dive in this area I still can't afford a home.:-(

Yes, locality is a major factor. I live about an hour outside Philly. I suppose babysitters charge less than $8.00 in other areas where there is less demand for minimum wage teens.

I paid babysitters $10 per hour. I only have one child, so pretty easy to manage. I know my friend with 4 kiddos pays more.

Next time your niece should be up front with her price, I am sure sometimes this is tough to do as a teenager. I honestly think $6.00 is very low. I can't beleive that the parents of the kids she babysat for did not ask her what she charges or set the price ahead of time. Sorry this happened to her.

We have three kids (now 9, 11, 11) and we pay the sitter $10/hour. We want to make sure she's well paid so she'll come back! Good sitters are hard to find and she's in high demand.

Then the children were all little we would pay 2 sitters $8/hour each. We just weren't comfortable that a teenage girl could handle a baby and 2 toddlers. We used two girls from our day care center and they enjoyed sitting together anyway.

I can remember being thrilled to get $1.00 an hour. Oops..I am really OLD!
My kids are grown now, but I think the going rate here is $10./hour.

Gin:)

OMG, I remember when I was 13 years old I watched a family of four - two boys ages 6 and 8, a 4 year old girl that creeped me out saying "I'm going to killll yoouuuuuu....." and a 2 year boy in diapers that cried constantly.

For a night from 7-10pm I got from $3.00 to $5.00 if they were feeling particularly generous. It was SO not worth it.

I do think locality makes a big difference as well as ages, as others have mentioned. I'd say I paid a sitter from 7-10pm about 25.00-30.00.

I do have one co-worker who is 27 and she keeps one or both of my boys when we go to the Lake Erie Islands for 3 days for an adults only get away (can we say partying and dancing until the wee hours..I think we can!) I give her $150-$200, money for movies/dinners out. She is phenomenal though, and has sat for my kids for 10 years. So her sitting is very much appreciated!

Heidi

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.