What is the weather like where you live ?

Hi Lizzie, It's funny you should ask that. I've been doing research for some time now and we are still kind of looking, but we know where we don't want to go. We don't want the Poconos, or Lancaster county. But we are kind of looking in-between those areas. We'd like to be close by so we can visit family on Long Island. We are looking for a rural,and quiet area where you can get some acres and have privacy. Yet, we would like to be driving distance from a town or city with an airport. DH is working on a CD now, and should be done around the New Year and once that's all packaged up and ready to go, we will start looking into going to these areas to check things out more. We have a friend who moved to Lancaster so we visited them and some of other places in PA. I think the furthest we want to go (from NY) is the Harrisburg area. We'd like to find a place closer though. Church is a big concideration. It's hard to find a good church and we will probably look at that as well as area and the house itself.
We were concidering the State College area but it's a bit too far. BTW- just came in from shoveling and it's not stopping any time soon. Wow, it's soooo cold. Where are you from Lizzie?
Faythe

It's cold and snowing right now as I type this here in Massachusetts. We had some temps in the mid-teens the past few days which is unusual for December--those temps are more likely to be seen in January. Last Thursday we got 6" snow and we are due for another 6-8" today where I live. I don't mind though, I LOVE snowstorms, as long as I don't have to drive any appreciable distance in them. I used to commute to Boston (45 minutes away) and there were times when it would take me up to 4 hours to get home during a snowstorm--I don't miss those days!!

It's cold and snowing right now as I type this here in Massachusetts. We had some temps in the mid-teens the past few days which is unusual for December--those temps are more likely to be seen in January. Last Thursday we got 6" snow and we are due for another 6-8" today where I live. I don't mind though, I LOVE snowstorms, as long as I don't have to drive any appreciable distance in them. I used to commute to Boston (45 minutes away) and there were times when it would take me up to 4 hours to get home during a snowstorm--I don't miss those days!!

Faythe...

Faythe - I am just west of Philly in a town called Conshohocken... I know - "Consho-WHAT?!" :) I like it in this area and have been looking to buy a townhouse or house of some sort within the next year. Housing is just so darn expensive around Philadelphia and that's not including a lot of land. I wish I could give you some helpful info about town in the region you're looking but I've only been here for a few years (grew up in Chicago 'burbs). I've not visited too many PA towns, mostly cities like NYC, Baltimore and DC. But good luck with your search! I'm sure you'll find a place you like. ;-)

Hi
I am for the Uitenhage / Kirkwood area. We are about 30 minutes south of the Addo Elephant Park and about 45 minutes inland from Port Elizabeth. My sister is from Cape Town and I wouldn't mind moving there, or anywhere cooler for that matter, but you probably know how difficult it is to find a good job in South Africa these days, so one has to stay where the employment opportunities are.

It's interesting to hear from everybody about the weather around the country and around the world. I know my nieces and nephew, who live in Wynnewood, PA were home from school yesterday. As for New York city, it was work as usual for most. The subways are unaffected by snow, and the buses can't go any slower anyway. Accumulation is next to impossible on the city streets!
-Nancy

RE: Faythe...

Thanks Lizzie. Hope you find a nice home too, with a nice room to do your Cathe videos :) We will find something, we know exactly what we are looking for, so once we find the closest thing to it, we will go there. BTW, it stopped snowing here (Long Island, NY - not far from NYC) Today it's nice and sunny. But still cold..... So the snow isn't really going anywhere for a while. But it's so nice to see the sun, and for the house to be nice and bright again. :)
Faythe

Thanks Lizzie. Hope you find a nice home too, with a nice room to do your Cathe videos :) We will find something, we know exactly what we are looking for, so once we find the closest thing to it, we will go there. BTW, it stopped snowing here (Long Island, NY - not far from NYC) Today it's nice and sunny. But still cold..... So the snow isn't really going anywhere for a while. But it's so nice to see the sun, and for the house to be nice and bright again. :)
Faythe

Faythe

Too true!!

Joanne,

You are soooo right, I bought my first car while I was still in Chicago and while I don't miss driving in the snow I still miss the weather and the whole Christmas feeling that snow brings. I know I'm strange.
Where abouts in Chicago were you for Thanksgiving the city or the burbs? My family is in the city, but since we were there last year with them, we spent this year with my boyfriend's family so they could see their grandson. Does the feeling of homesickness ever get any better?

-Jilliana

I'm glad to be back home (on the sunny southeastern corner of North Carolina)today after driving through much of the rest of the state yesterday...the morning after the big ice storm. About a half inch of ice coated every surface, and trees were crashing down--taking power lines with them--under the weight of it all. Lots and lots of poor folks (my college student son among them) spent a chilly night without power. I think this storm became a big snow event when it hit the northeast, a much preferable alternative to the ice.

BUT, right here, right now...a brisk breeze blows off the Atlantic Ocean near where I live; thankfully, nothing's frozen. Temps are supposed to get back up into the 50s by Saturday, and that'll feel downright balmy.

Do you think I could parlay this post into a gig on the Weather Channel? :D

RE: Someone I can relate to

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-06-02 AT 11:40PM (Est)[/font][p]Hi Kim in Winnipeg

I live in northern Saskatchewan but grew up on the prairies in more southern Saskatchewan, near the Manitoba border.

We have had some pretty cold weather already haven't we? We hit -30 Celcius the other night as well. I have been seeing snow since Halloween pretty much and Indian Summer did not exist for us this fall.

All the talk of people not having to to work or school when it snows is a novelty to me. For the most part, getting some snow never shuts anything down around here. I can remember living in Idaho Springs, Colorado, when I was 7 and it lightly snowed and they shut down the schools. For the life of me, I could not figure out why.

Glad to "meet" you Kim from Winnipeg.:)

Kim in La Ronge, Saskatchewan

P.S. It is going to be cold one tonight I think.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.