forum_admin

Administrator
Staff member
RestorativeYogaBonus-5669.jpg

What is Restorative Exercise and Just How Important is it?

There’s no argument over the importance of exercise and the many ways that our bodies benefit from physical activity. We do sometimes, however, overlook the fact that rest and recovery are just as essential in our routines. We all train a little differently and at different levels, but if we’re challenging our bodies and pushing ourselves in our fitness routines, we are also taxing our bodies and causing breakdowns. Our muscles need proper time to rest and to repair so that we perform at our best and feel our best both physically and mentally.

I know, you’ve heard all this before! We all have, but that doesn’t change the fact that many times fitness minded individuals still feel the need to go hard daily while looking at rest and recovery days as a “waste” of valuable workout time. We sometimes ignore the signs of overtraining, or we blame the symptoms on anything and everything besides our fitness routine. Exercise is good for us so how could that be the reason we’re feeling less than wonderful, right?

So, how do you know when you need more rest and recovery? Maybe you’re feeling fatigued or crankier than normal. Maybe you’re a little more anxious or depressed. Maybe you’re having trouble sleeping. Maybe your workouts aren’t feeling as successful, or you have aches and pains in areas throughout the body. There are many little signs. Signals from our body that it needs some additional self-care. The best way we can help our physical, mental, and emotional well-being is by making proper rest and recovery a part of our routines regularly, so that the symptoms of overtraining can’t get their grip on us.

Pictured here are Cathe and Jai performing an assisted pigeon pose in the new Restorative Yoga bonus workout. They are using two yoga blocks, one under the forehead and a second under the glute so that their body weight has some extra support and can easily melt into the position.

This extra support from the blocks enables them to take full advantage of the stretch and stress release. This short restorative routine focuses on stillness and holding long gentle poses to relax the body and the mind. The yoga blocks assist in supporting us through the poses so that our focus can remain on calming the mind and body while releasing tension. This bonus is only one of many routines throughout the new Lift, Move & Restore series that will show us how important both active and restorative recovery is to our overall well-being.

Learn more or pre-order here: https://bit.ly/4bO6lHn

We were just talking in this house, again, about how to use this series. We know we can use it for a recovery/restoration week. I'm thinking it would pair nicely with the LITE series also. Hmmm, maybe a rotation with STS2.0 or Xtrain. I am so looking forward to pursuing the User Guide when it becomes available for ideas. :)

Here is my concern with this series. I do pigeon pose regularly, without need for support. Will using two yoga blocks increase the stretch, and so make it more intense, or will using the blocks make the stretch easier? I have used one block while doing yoga when I am particularly tight, to make getting into the pose easier. I have preordered the series, and I will get my answers while doing the exercises. Presently I am trusting Cathe when she says this isn’t an “easier“ series.

Here is my concern with this series. I do pigeon pose regularly, without need for support. Will using two yoga blocks increase the stretch, and so make it more intense, or will using the blocks make the stretch easier? I have used one block while doing yoga when I am particularly tight, to make getting into the pose easier. I have preordered the series, and I will get my answers while doing the exercises. Presently I am trusting Cathe when she says this isn’t an “easier“ series.
Hmmm, when I first started doing pigeon, I had to work into the full out pigeon over time. I think the blocks would have helped then. But now I haven't been able to do pigeon since early Feb when I injured my knee (I can still do some hip openers tho). But when I'm able to bend my knee that far, I think the blocks will help to ease back into it. So if you're good to go with full-out pigeon, or whatever pose, go for it! But should arthritis set in or you have an injury, the options provided in this series may help, at least I'm hoping.

I'm thinking some of these options are just that - options for when we need or want them. I've been able to figure out some options for certain moves with the help of PT/rehab exercises and through experimenting, but it'll be nice to have my favorite instructor showing me options too. But I'm also hoping the series will be useful on a regular basis, so I'm looking forward to reading the User Guide for more ideas too.

Just a thought .... has Cathe made reference to this series as being "intermediate " or "advanced"? As you said, she said it wouldn't be "easy".

I would think it would be considered intermediate……with options maybe for easier or
harder….after all, it’s for active aging…or at least that’s what I thought, which doesn’t
mean it’s beginner….but a different approach to certain exercises., but then again, what
do I know :). I would say if you can do the full pigeon pose, then do it without the
yoga blocks….

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.