What is it with Walmart??

Walmart's pharmacy scares me.

I switched over my HCTZ (high bp med) from my campus pharmacy since it would only be $4 at Walmart. I did that a few months ago. Everything went fine. Then, 2 weeks ago, I switched over my birth control Rx so that I would only have to make one trip.

The lady at the Rx pick-up counter said my name wasn't in their system. I proceeded to show them the bottle WITH their store info on it (from my bp med). She told me to go the consultation area. I did, and he found my name. BUT, my Rx wasn't transferred. He said they never got the call. I was furious! I had called that AM and was told it would be there by noon. So, he flips through his tranfer requests and low and behold, there mine is. BUT, it got put under the wrong person's name in the computer. He said are you Becky....? I said no, that was my maiden name, I am Becky .... (luckily it was still me that it was put under). I told him that I have had my new name for quite some time, and never had my maiden name at the campus pharmacy, so I don't know how it got put under the wrong record. He said that we had the same birthday, so it got mixed up. THE SAME BIRTHDAY!?!?! How many people in that city have the same birthday. No,they don't use SS#s or full names, they use BIRTHDAYS!!! I was livid. Then he tells me they are out of my Rx (which they couldn't call me since they had it under my maiden name with the phone number of where my parents lived 10 years ago!!!) I HATE WALMART. Even though it will be more $, I am switching my Rx over to CVS.

I don't have any political views on Wal Mart but the places makes me so mad. The workers always block the aisles while stocking and they don't even move their carts when they see you. The workers are rude and are sooooo slow checking you out even if there are 50 people in line. I guess they are getting paid so little they really don't care. I will say that they once double charged me for a movie and I didn't check my receipt till I got home. I called them and they told me to come back in for a refund. I was impressed with that.

LD

I love our local Walmart. It's a brand new Super Walmart and it's very clean, the employees are very nice and helpful and they are very generous with charitable contributions. I'd prefer a Target, but we don't have any that are close so I shop at this Walmart and have never had a problem except for the slow checkout lines sometimes, but that happens everywhere.

Erica

I live in Arkansas - the home, headquarters, and original site for the very first Wal-Mart ever. Beloved state to the late Sam Walton. It IS possible to avoid Wal-Mart here, but let me tell you, you have to work very, very hard to do it. I'm not overly fond of the place for various reasons, but I do shop there.

I wonder if anyone has considered the individual management or regional management for that matter??? That factor matters alot.

There is a Walmart near me that is disqusting and rude, then there is a Walmart in a couple of counties over that is well organized, spotless clean, and extremely polite, plus the customer service was beyond anything I've ever experienced, so helpful on all occasions. If anyone's interested and are close by, pm me and I'll give you the location. It really is surreal, because so many have come to expect nothing but the worse from Wally World:)and this place blows that idea out of the water.

Carrie

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar072/slider-but5/lb/209/145/182.0/.png[/image][/link]

http://www.picturetrail.com/uid6743693"

I think the Jib Jab cartoon Liann mentioned is a satirical look at what I find wrong with Walmart. In fact, as of late I've been questioning a lot about where the products I buy come from and at what costs, not just out of my pocketbook but in terms of human rights, pollution, and the economy (I'm a big fan of keeping jobs in the U.S.). I also can appreciate people struggling to get by, or live in rural areas, who have come to depend on Walmart. I don't expect such concerns to necessarily factor into the view of others. All I know is that once I did some digging, learned about the inner workings and business practices of Walmart I decided shopping there was not for me. It's an individual decision (and BTW my SO shops at Walmart on occasion and I still keep him around :* ) No further comment from the Beav gallery....;)

Hey, Beavs, I meant to mention, if you haven't read it yet, you should check out, "The World is Flat," by (I think) Thomas Friedman. It is a very interesting look at globalization trends and discusses the impact of Walmart (and UPS, IBM, and a couple of other companies) at some length. I enjoyed it because the author doesn't appear to have an axe to grind with anyone (which is rare) so he kind of just presents his perspective on the facts. Very, very interesting read.

Marie

PS: I also agree with the poster about regional/local management. I think that's true of all stores. For example, I like shopping at Kohl's, but the one near me is an atrocity. The one near my office in NJ, however, is quite nice and has much better quality merchandise. Not to mention staff that aren't quite so sullen. Very strange.

Holy Moly, Marie, you got ALL THAT for only $200? Wow!! I've never been to a Walmart, Target or Costco because there doesn't seem to be enough room here in the city for such big stores. The prices here are nuts. I don't usually pay much attention to the prices of small items, but even I noticed that a 16 oz. bottle of Lubriderm at my grocery store was about $15! I went to drugstore.com and got it for $8.00 and was thrilled with myself. I'm envious of those who have a Costco nearby, but I guess if we had one in our neighborhood, we would have no way of carrying the packages home, and no where to store the stuff. Thank goodness for the internet!!

Beavs, I love the Church of Stop Shopping! Thanks for sharing that.

Marie--thanks for the suggestion. I had meant to read that book and had forgotten all about it so I just requested it from my library.

As a single mom of a teenage boy, Walmart is definitely the place to shop for food!! He eats like a horse!! lol
Patti

Man, can I relate!! Sometimes I can just stand there in utter amazement while ds inhales everything in the house. My dh and I have come to trying to hide certain items that we want for ourselves, but the human vacuum always finds it!

I usually can stick to my budget at walmart. Its easy, I don't have any money. ;-) :D Marnie

Sorry, I wanted to also mention that the products, for example with clothing, are determined by the Regional Fashion Merchandiser, and they pick and chose types of clothing and what type quality should be put out based on a regional demographic market. There is a rhyme and reason to it:)

For example, a lower quality, means a cheaper price for economically challenged regions. Sometimes people around here ask, how come there are so many clothes geared toward teenagers? That is because of the demographic research that was done.

Carrie

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar072/slider-but5/lb/209/145/182.0/.png[/image][/link]

http://www.picturetrail.com/uid6743693"

{ I think the Jib Jab cartoon Liann mentioned is a satirical look at what I find wrong with Walmart. In fact, as of late I've been questioning a lot about where the products I buy come from and at what costs, not just out of my pocketbook but in terms of human rights, pollution, and the economy (I'm a big fan of keeping jobs in the U.S.). }

I have been trying to do this lately and it ain't easy!! One day I was remembering when they use to have these "buy in the usa" clothing commercials several years back. Do you remember them? They said something like "look for 'made in the usa' for quality " or something like that. I happened to be doing laundry when that came to my mind and I started looking through the whole pile of clothes and couldn't find anything made in the usa! It's hard - really hard. First to find the stuff you want to support and to be able to shop there, when you are on a budget.

Also, I can't help but comment on Target and Kmart. I still shop at both of those stores but had really bad experiences with them. Once at Target the checker told me to put my card in the little machine thingy right when she started ringing it up. At my Target, your card goes into it - you don't swipe it. When she rang the total, it was wrong by about $50 :eek: I told her and she found the error, but could not reverse it and I could not get my card back out of the machine. I had to sign for the incorrect bill and then go to customer service, wait in line to get my $50 refunded back to me. Took alot of time I did not have and no one apologized to me.

My Kmart experience was much worse. Several years ago, I had some items on layaway. I went to pick them up. Had to go to the back of the store, where there was no one at the desk. After several minutes, I tracked someone down and asked for them to call someone to layaway. I heard it on the intercom, but 10min later , still no one came. Went and tracked someone down again. A lady came and went in the back with my slip. Stayed back there like 15 min., then came out and said she couldn't find my stuff. I would have to wait until the regular person came back from lunch in 15min. Regular person comes back, disappears in the back for another 10 min. Comes out - can't find my stuff. At this point (with 2 little kids in tow) I say, ok, whatever just refund my payments. She tells me to go to cust. service.

I start the whole process over again - no one at cust. service , have to track someone down, etc. The kicker? The lady at cust. service wanted to penalize me 20% (or something like that) for closing out my layaway! Ugh! I was furious. She then had to get the lady from layaway to come and explain and it was a whole big production to get my money back. Again, no one even apologized. I was in the store for 2 1/2 hours before I got my money.

It was 3 years before I stepped in that store again! x(

>Have fun in Clifton Park :7 And if I recall, there is no Wal
>Mart there for you to cause trouble.

Yup, there is one here! It's on Rt 9, just past the intersection of 146.

Target is right near by as well.

>I wonder if anyone has considered the individual management
>or regional management for that matter??? That factor matters
>alot.
>
>There is a Walmart near me that is disqusting and rude, then
>there is a Walmart in a couple of counties over that is well
>organized, spotless clean, and extremely polite, plus the
>customer service was beyond anything I've ever experienced, so
>helpful on all occasions. If anyone's interested and are close
>by, pm me and I'll give you the location. It really is
>surreal, because so many have come to expect nothing but the
>worse from Wally World:)and this place blows that idea out of
>the water.
>
>Carrie
>
>http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar072/slider-but5/lb/209/145/182.0/.png[/image][/link]
>
>http://www.picturetrail.com/uid6743693"

So true. There is one on the North side that is bleh. One on the South side that everyone raves about, and one on the East I have never been to, so don't know.

Kmart was closed here. We had two, and they were both dirty, disorganized and bad employees. Home Depot has taken over one of the buildings.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.