What is considered weight training?

Diver782

I understand the importance of strength training as we age, but what constitutes strength training? Does it have to be like Muscle Max or STS Total Body or Gym Style, or are the weights used in metabolic workouts or workouts like Flex Train sufficient? Thanks!

Not Cathe here, but wow, great question! It'll be interesting to read Cathe's response... but to keep the conversation going... I think it partly depends on your goals. Since you mentioned "as we age" , I'm thinking you're wondering about avoiding sarcopenia, or maybe osteopenia or porosis. In that case, Cathe has lots of blog articles on these topics and, yea, that does involve some heavier weight training. But there's a place for metabolic weight training in a rotation too. I try to include both types of training each month, if not each week actually.

I do metabolic training once or twice a week and I lift heavy 3 to 4 times per week - Muscle Max, Pyramid Upper and Lower Body, STS or RWH. I love her LITE Pyramid Pump, too. Sometimes, I actually lift heavier than Cathe does at least with some of the leg portions. When I began this journey, I was lifting about 1/2 of what she lifts. I did go through the STS workouts starting in February and I finished in April. I am definitely stronger since doing that. I've increased my weights to 80 - 90% of my one rep max. I'm not afraid of heavy lifting now. I also do cardio 6 out of 7 days per week as well as working my abs everyday. I'm almost 62 and I have the typical joint aches and pains that go along with getting older but I think it would be much worse if I didn't work out like I do. Her Low Impact Yoga Relax and Mobility as well as other stretch portions of her dvds are great, too. I am definitely more flexible and much stronger than when I began this journey.

Wow Suzielaw, that's quite an impressive workout schedule. If you don't mind me asking, how many hours/minutes a day does this schedule come out to? Do you break it up into morning/evening workouts or do one long session? Are you tired at all or does it energize you more? How do you fuel these workouts? I'm just curious as to how you do it all ... what's been the secret(s) to your success?

I do metabolic training once or twice a week and I lift heavy 3 to 4 times per week - Muscle Max, Pyramid Upper and Lower Body, STS or RWH. I love her LITE Pyramid Pump, too. Sometimes, I actually lift heavier than Cathe does at least with some of the leg portions. When I began this journey, I was lifting about 1/2 of what she lifts. I did go through the STS workouts starting in February and I finished in April. I am definitely stronger since doing that. I've increased my weights to 80 - 90% of my one rep max. I'm not afraid of heavy lifting now. I also do cardio 6 out of 7 days per week as well as working my abs everyday. I'm almost 62 and I have the typical joint aches and pains that go along with getting older but I think it would be much worse if I didn't work out like I do. Her Low Impact Yoga Relax and Mobility as well as other stretch portions of her dvds are great, too. I am definitely more flexible and much stronger than when I began this journey.
I fell off the exercise wagon last summer but in Dec. of ’20 I started again. I am doing STS undulating rotation and on off days cardio, hiit, and yoga and flexibility. I have Some arthritis in one hip and it is greatly improved. I agree with Suzilaw and I just turned 67.

Wow Suzielaw, that's quite an impressive workout schedule. If you don't mind me asking, how many hours/minutes a day does this schedule come out to? Do you break it up into morning/evening workouts or do one long session? Are you tired at all or does it energize you more? How do you fuel these workouts? I'm just curious as to how you do it all ... what's been the secret(s) to your success?
I'm not sure I'm as successful as I could be but I usually work out 1&1/2 to 3 hours a day. I do cardio everyday and rotate muscle groups on the other days. The 3 hour days are when I do total body weight workouts vs. breaking it in to upper body and lower body. I don't normally break them up between morning and evening and I also tend to do the workouts in the late afternoon. I don't know why but that's when I feel most motivated to workout. If I were to break them up between morning and evening, I would definitely do the cardio in the morning. I have read in more than one place that you should do cardio earlier. I feel energized after working out but I think it helps me sleep when I go to bed. This evening I did IMAX 4, X Train Bi's and Tri's Burnsets and Pyramid Pump Lower Body. So, that's a three hour day because on the burnsets, I actually did dropsets and I did 5 sets. I just pause Cathe so I can finish my last two sets at a lower weight. I love the science around dropsets so I plan to start doing dropsets for every body part on alternating days. I just started doing dropsetting this week so the jury is still out but I do use weights on the first set with which I can barely make it to 10 reps. I did the same thing with Pyramid Lower Body (one of my all time favorites) the other day. I don't do anything special to fuel my workouts. I know I probably should and I love reading the advice from all of the other lovely ladies on here. Oh, and I also do at least one core workout per day. I still need to lose 20 lbs but I've lost 21 so I figure I'm doing something right. Normally, I only eat about 1000 to 1200 calories a day but I give myself a cheat meal once a week. Tonight it was hot chicken wings with french fries. I eat a lot of vegetables now and limit my meat to 2 - 6 oz. per day unless it's my cheat meal. I hope I answered your questions and I hope this helps you and other ladies on here. I know I love to read all of your posts.

Thanks Suzielaw for particulars on your workouts! It is impressive. Next month I think I may try a rotation doing cardio & weights everyday as in one of Cathe's rotations (I think it was in the Xtrain booklet) but using a different series each week. That may build up my endurance more. Thanks again for the inspiration! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.