What good is the anaerobic phase if .....

Katerchen

Cathlete
it does not burn any fat or help one to loose weight? I really enjoy being in the higher range of my THR and Circuit Max and Interval Max are my favorite but I read somewhere that in order to burn fat and loose weight I need to be at the lower THR range. I don't think this is really true but I want to make sure. Any feed back would be appreciated.

you do burn fat in an anaerobic phase, but a smaller percentage of the total calories burned while anaerobic are fat calories than the percentage of fat calories burned while doing aerobic work.

the thing is, though, that you burn more total calories when you work anaerobically through intervals and other high intensity work, so you still might burn as much fat. the general understanding now is that weight loss really hinges on the calories you consume and the calories you burn off. if you're burning off a lot of calories by doing intense anaerobic work, you're still helping yourself lose weight because you lose weight when you consume fewer calories than you use.

also, anaerobic work increases your cardiovascular capacity and makes you more fit overall. the idea that one shouldn't go anaerobic and always stay in an aerobic zone is dated. however, if you're worried about it, you can try to get a mix of anaerobic and aerobic work to cover your bases.

The only time I go into anerobic phase is when I'm doing interval training, i.e. Interval Max. I usually try to get 2 interval training per week due to the higher impact... just trying to save my joints! I know Cathe/Gin Miller mentioned to put 2 days rest between interval training, but some other tapes do not.

The benefit of going anerobic is in time, you will be able to exercise longer and harder. I have started doing interval training 2X a week since Jan, and I have noticed that I've 'out grown' some of my tapes since they are not as challenging anymore... they do not get my heart rate up as they used to.

Just my 0.02.

Haslina

I agree as well with the other posts here. Interval Training (the anaerobic phase) is more endurance oriented, and increases your ability to train longer and harder overall. I've been working out now for 8 years, and have noticed a few changes (thanks Cathe!!) since incorporating Interval Max into my weekly workout schedule;

1) I am finally able to do MIC, all the way through, with absolutely no breaks! A huge attainment for someone who previously thought she was really fit from so many years of consistent workouts!

2) Also for the first time ever, I'm able to jog/run. I've recently started training for a 5K, and up until interval training with IM, I couldn't run for more than a few minutes without feeling completely tapped. Now, I can run for 50 minutes, usually just stopping once long enough to guzzle some water.

Training in an anaerobic state has so many benefits outside of fat burning, and is a great asset to any fitness routine. Just my two cents! :)

~ Nicole

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.