What does "the kick" feel like?

wastewitch

Cathlete
I realize this is an obvious and/or stupid question, but people have been asking me, "Have you felt it kick?" since about the 16-week mark (I'm at 20 1/2 weeks now). I've never been pregnant before so all I can say is, "I don't know!" Over the past couple of days I've felt what feels like that "tic" you get around your eye, only this is felt around 4 inches below my belly button. Isn't that way lower than where the fetus would be? I'm really trying hard to pay attention to every sensation. At my last checkup (19 weeks) it moved during the ultrasound and heartbeat check and I didn't feel a thing so I'm not worried but...I don't know what I'm looking for! (And the What to Expect book does not answer that question, LOL).

So, mommy pros - can you tell me a) when you knew your baby was moving, and b) what it felt like?

That "tic" you feel may very well be the baby. :) Someone once referred to it as "fluttering," and I think that's a good description. For me (I can't remember exactly when), it was like popping bubbles or how one feels when one has "butterflies in my stomach." It's very gentle and easy to miss at first.

The swift, firm kicks will come later. :D No mistaking those!

Thanks!

Feeling some little "popping bubbles" right now. (Now I think I know what my mom meant when she told me she thought my older brother was "gas" at first!)

If you feel those little tics in a row, kind of like an eye twitching every 5-10 seconds, it could be hiccups too. :) I felt my baby's hiccups before I ever felt her kicking. I actually didn't feel any kicks until after 23 weeks due to her position.

OMG, I am so glad you asked this question, because I feel like a fool when people ask me if I've felt the baby kick. I am 28 weeks and I still question whether what I am feeling is a kick. A definitely feel flutters, but as I've never been pregnant before, I can't say for sure what those flutters are! LOL. I just lied at my last checkup and said I can feel kicks. I feel a lot of movement but nothing like a definite kick.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.