What do you eat w/ salsa, hummus, spreads, etc?

Gobias

Cathlete
I love hummus, salsa, spreads, tapenade, etc. They are usually eaten with crackers, breads, chips but I am looking for something healthier to eat them with. I have used whole wheat pita bread (cripsed in the oven) and they do taste great, but I am looking for something already prepared since I don't want to heat the oven for a snack.

I'm not fond of fried chips and looked at baked chips and baked pita chips but they are full of fat and salt still.

Bread is OK but spoils too fast. (the jar of spread always lasts way longer than the bread). Also, I'm not really a 'bread person'.

Any ideas?

Yep, raw veggies are really good. If you are looking for more of a carb...I like Ezekiel wraps and Wasa or Ryvita crackers :D

I love hummus with raw veggies too and will use it as an alternative to mayo, etc on my turkey sandwiches! YUM! :)

This might not be the healthiest option, but I use fat-free saltines as a substitute. They're empty calories as far as nutrition goes, but at least they're not as bad as chips and have a fairly short ingredient list. Plus, I find that fat-free saltines don't taste good enough to actually tempt me to each a whole bunch of them at once.

So, if you're merely looking for a low calorie/low-fat vehicle to get the hummus, salsa, whatever from the bowl to your mouth, they do work, they're cheap, and they take a while to go stale.

They are a bit high in sodium, but I usually don't have to worry about my sodium intake.

Amber

Love hummus as well :) My go to afternoon snack is 4 hard boiled eggs (yolks removed) and filled w/ a serving of hummus and topped w/ tabouli. The whites really seem to fill me up when their hard boiled for some reason.

Thanks so much alicia17 and mlj83081 for the AWESOME suggestion!! I LOVE hummus, especially with sweet peppers, but good ones are so hard to find this time of year. I will try it with eggs!

Becky

mlj83081 said:
Love hummus as well :) My go to afternoon snack is 4 hard boiled eggs (yolks removed) and filled w/ a serving of hummus and topped w/ tabouli. The whites really seem to fill me up when their hard boiled for some reason.

Mmmmmmm......this sounds wonderful! Thank you!! :)

I love salsa with pasta, it is sooo good! You could pre-prepare the pasta and put it in little rubbermaid take-along thingys and eat it like pasta salad.... whole wheat pasta makes it even better!

salsa on a small baked potato is yummy and lo-cal too.

I dip all my veggies in salsa and sometimes I'll mix plain Greek yogurt and salsa together for a creamy salsa dip for veggies. Jicama is a lesser known veggie that is easy to peel and slice and tastes delightful with salsa or guacamole! Love celery and cucumbers dipped in salsa and it's almost like eating no calories when u do!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.