What are you reading??

Gayle

Cathlete
Okay, Well-Read crowd. It's been my experience that this group never fails to come up with some great reading ideas. So what are you currently reading, or have recently (or even not so recently) read?

I just finished "The Da Vinci Code", by Dan Brown. Very entertaining read...it'll make a good movie. I'm currently re-reading "One Hundred Years of Solitude", by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I started this one several years ago, liked it, but never managed to finish it for one reason or another. So, I'm gonna finish it now.

Others?

I'm right in the middle of Steven King's THE STAND. I think it's the biggest book I've ever read LOL! It's very good and not my normal read. I'd love to read the Di Vinci code next.

"The Stand" is my favorite book ever. I read "DaVinci Code" around Christmas time. Loved it so much it only took me four days (off and on reading). I didn't want to put it down. Looking forward to the movie.

I love Patricia Cornwell and am reading "From Potters Field" right now. I've recently read two Ann Rule novels, "Small Sacrifices" and "Dead at Sunset". They were true crime novels. I am planning to read more of her stuff.

I've been getting my books from Ebay lately.

I just finished "The Lovely Bones". Different from what I usually read. I liked it but it is not one of my favorites.

Joanne

Ahhh a reading post, great! I'm reading book 6 of the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon right now. This is an excellent series of books, I've loved every one of them. It's a sort of romance / time travel combo where a woman from the 1940's ends up in 16th century Scotland. Very good.

I'm a Patricia Cornwell fan also. Right now I'm finishing up All That Remains. I've read most her later books and its really interesting to go back to an earlier novel and read about the characters in their younger times.

Candi do you recommend the Ann Rule novels? How do they compare to the Kay Scarpetta secnarios?

Donald Trump's "The Art Of The Deal". VERY good so far!!

Carol
:)

My boys talked me into reading the Harry Potter books. I'm finally on book 5. I keep the book in my car and read while I'm waiting to pick them up or while waiting for appointments. It's going a little slow, but it's an easy read!

Margie

Judy,

A girl after my own heart. Yes, I've also read most of Patricia Cornwell's Scarpetta novels and loved every one of them so much that I hate getting towards the end of the book. It took a couple of books for me to realize there was a character time/age line but, you're right, it's interesting. Especially to see how Lucy's life has evolved.

If you like Cornwell, I think you will also like Ann Rule. The difference is that Ann Rule writes about true crimes that have actually taken place. She disects the personalities of the murderers, giving every detail imagineable. Most of the murders she writes about happened in the Pacific Northwest where she worked as a policewoman for awhile. She actually worked with Ted Bundy for a short time before he was convicted as a serial killer and then wrote a novel about his crimes. Her style of writing is very uncomplicated but she gives an insightful look into the "Why" of the murderer's behavior. 'Small Sacrifices' left me feeling a little unsettled because of the nature of the murders but it was so interesting.

http://www.annrules.com/

Oh my Gayle you are taking me back to college. That is where I read 'One Hundred Years of Solitude' in my humanities class. It was very hard to understand for me. I am currently reading the last book in the Left Behind series called "Glorious Appearing". I have read them all and can't wait to finish this one. Other than that I usually don't have time to read. I am also reading the Bible through in a year so that keeps me busy.

:) :7 :D

I enjoy Mary Higgins Clark and Dean Koontz!! I am a huge fan of theirs
I must read simple things compared to what you all are reading.

Ducky! What is the 6th book of the Outlander series? This is my favorite series of books of all time, and I've read five: Outlander, Dragonfly in Amber, Voyager, Drums of Autumn, and The Fiery Cross, but didn't know about a 6th! Are you talking about Lord John and the Private Matter, or is there another in the Jamie and Claire series that I don't know about? Please let me know. Thanks, Lynda

Just finished 'Good In Bed' by Jennifer Weiner (I believe she is the author). It wasn't bad.

Am currently reading 'The Organ Grinders' by Bill Fitzhugh. It's a fictional satire that somehow meshes the business of organ donation, genetic manipulation, and the destruction of the environment. I loved his first book 'Pest Control' and am hoping this one comes together (I just started it so it's a bit hard to see how these all connect).

Hi Lynda, yep it's Lord John. It's called book 6 (?). I just started it and so far Jamie is only talked about in the book so I don't know if it comes together with Jamie and Claire. Have you read it??? It seems pretty different from the other books in the series, but it's referred to as book 6 (?). They're great aren't they?

Right now i am reading "The Purpose Driven Life" a chapter a nite .. and also .. The Complete Guide to Running for Women :)

This is a great post! I always like to know what books people are into. I am a huge Patricia Cornwell fan. I only like the Scarpetta novels. I also love Robert Walker and Leonard Goldberg. Right now I'm reading "Ties that Bind" by Phillip Margolin. I always can't wait for the new Kay Scarpetta novel to come out that when it does I read it usually in 2 days or less. I just finished "Edge of Town" by Dorothy Garlock. Her novels take place back in the 30's on farms. I love the idea of the "Simple Life" with home grown food and things like that. I bounce back and forth between murder mysteries and books like "A painted house" or "Wish you Well". I'm always in the mood to talk about Patricia Cornwell, so Judy and Candi if you are interested.

Kim

Did you read 'Portrait of a Killer: The case of Jack the Ripper"? Cornewll does her own Forensic research using her own time and money. Very chilling.

Has anyone read her newest novel "Blowfly" yet?

This website is interesting

http://www.patriciacornwell.com/

Great topic!
I just finished reading, "The Secret Life of Bees". Great story. It has been a long time since I picked up something to read for fun.

Before that, "The Proper Care and FEeding of Husbands". Another new favorite. It's a fast read and I'm going through it again. Love all the stories. It is pushing my marriage to a new level of intimacy-always a plus!

Danna

For my book club I'm reading "Reading Lolita in Tehran" by Azar Nafisi. It's a memoir by an Iranian woman who studied Western literature in a secret women's study group during the height of the repression under Ayatollah Khomeini.

For my own self, I'm re-reading a bunch of Maeve Binchy books - I finished "Tara Road" last night and am starting on "Circle of Friends".

I just finished "Angry Housewives Eating BonBons", very fun, esp if you liked the YaYas. I am expecting the Easter Bunny to hop by with Glorious Appearing, and I am struggling through "The Power of Now". Seems good but it is definitely a more focused read than I am used to.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.