What are you reading??

I read the Secret Life of Bees. I loved it. I finished it on Martin Luther King day, which seemed appropriate.

I go through spurts where I read a lot then take a break. I recently read "The Da Vinci Code" and really enjoyed it. I also read "The Lovely Bones" which was really different and just OK. I just finished "Armageddon" from the Left Behind series and look forward to reading next one "Glorious Appearing". I'm also a fan of Patricia Cornwell and am waiting to get "Blow Fly" from the library. When I'm not reading a book, I like to do crossword puzzles just to keep my mind working and sharp.:)

JJ

Ducky:

They sure are great. I actually got a little bit depressed when I got toward the end of the series, knowing that there wasn't another one coming for a while. I haven't read Lord John. From what I gathered from some of her other readers, it's not directly related to the Jamie and Claire story, and it got mixed reviews. I will probably pick read it at some point. I really can't resist her books. Let me know how you like it. Right now I'm finishing the third book in Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel trilogy, "Kushiel's Avatar." This is probably my next favorite series of books, although it's not for the faint of heart or prudish. Like Outlander, this series has characters that I'm sure will stay with me for a long time. Thanks for responding.

Lynda

I'm just finishing up "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay," by Michael Chabon, which won the Pulizer Prize in 2000.

I'm in NJ visiting my parents, and on the ride up here from Virginia, was listening to "Tar Baby," by Toni Morrison. I have the book here too, so I'll pick up where the tape left off, then continue with the tape for the ride home.

Both books are excellent!:)

Candi,

I read Portrait of a Killer and thought it was really interesting. Before the book even came out Diane Sawyer did a story on Cornwell's research into this and so I kind of already knew what was in the book. But read it anyway. I also read Blowfly and I thought it was good. Big shocker in the end with Kay's past lover Benton Westly. How do you picture her "partner in crime" Pete Marino the policeman? I just have this vision of a man with a beer belly , stains on his tie, clothes that just never seem to fit, and hair that needs some serious attention. If you like the whole Forensic angle of stories you should try Leonard Goldberg and/or Robert W. Walker. They both have the same characters in their books and they are both women forensic pathologists (Joanna Blalock and Jessica something).
Kim

Hey another Maeve Binchy fan!

I have just finished with "Tara Road" and "Scarlett Feather" and "the Copper Beach" on book-on-tape. Loved them all.

I just finished last night "the Curious incident of the Dog in the Night Time", a British story that came highly recommended and which is told from the perspective of an autistic child. My husband loved it. I was disappointed that it did not amount to more.

Listened to "Follow your Heart" by an Italian writer also on book-on-tape read by Barbara Caruso, who is my fave recorded books narrator. And "The Gazebo" which was an easy read-listen to while the time away when driving about town, doing laundry, washing up, cooking and having baths, etc.

In the pile by my bed I have:

--Life of Pi, Yann Martel

--Oryx and Crake, Margaret Atwood,

--De noche en la batalla, piensa en mi, by Javier Marias, Spanish writer

--The Robber bride, Margaret Atwood

and a whole bunch more.

BUT!!!!!! My fave reads most recently and which made me laugh like an absolute drain were the Shopaholic Series starring Becky Bloomwood, shopper extraordinaire, and all the scrapes she gets into and the amazingly creative ways she gets out of them! These I could not put down and they are the best thing for a vacation or lazy Saturday on the couch after doing Imax 2!!!!

Enjoy,

Clare

Well I have The Da Vinci Code on reserve in the meantime I'm reading the 5th book in the Outlander series 'The Fiery Cross" by Diana Galbadon

I recommend anything by David Sedaris ("Naked", "Me Talk Pretty One Day", "Holidays on Ice"). Most of his books are collections of essays, and some of them have made me about pee my panties from laughing so hard, I swear! ;-)
-Kate

KIM,

Please don't think I'm nuts but there was a show on in the sixties called "Car 54 where are you?". I picture Marino as Gunther Tooty played by Joe E. Ross on the show. I think it's because of the way he talks.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/csmiths/

Thank you for the tips on authors. You are right, I like the forensic angle. I don't mind a little blood and guts. I want to be a Psychological profiler for the FBI in my next life (just like Benton Wesley!)

Great Thread!
I am just nicely getting into "The Way The Crow Flies" by Ann-Marie MacDonald. I'm enjoying it so far. It rings very familiar, it's set in Southern Ontario (my stompin' grounds) and portrays the life events of a military family (I grew up in one).

I just finished John Irving's "The Fourth Hand", liked it some, didn't love it. I usually really enjoy John Irving, "A Prayer for Owen Meaney" is one of my all-time favourites.

I'll puruse this thread again for a new list to take to the library.

Happy Reading!!
Laurie:)

Kate - I love Sedaris! I picked up "Santaland Diaries" in an airport just before a trans-Atlantic flight, and laughed the whole way. He's hysterical.

Have you ever read any of Sarah Vowell's stuff. She has a similar style of writing in essays. "Take the Cannoli" was a good one.

Hi Everyone! I am a librarian and it makes me so, so happy to read posts like this! : ) I also love David Sedaris! : ) I've been interested in reading 'Wigfield' by Amy Sedaris and another co-author... Anyone read this?

Right now I'm reading "The Big Rumpus" by Ayun Halliday. Hilarious! She's such a great writer! :p

Take care and keep reading! (It's my duty to say that, ya know?:7)

Take care,
Jen

I just finished re-reading Pat Conroy's memoir "My Losing Season" about his senior year at the Citadel as a cadet and basketball player on a losing team. Wonderful, powerful book.

Just now began to re-read "The Path To Power", Robert A. Caro's first installment about the years of Lyndon Johnson; Caro's trilogy ("The Path To Power", "The Means of Ascent" and "Master of the Senate") are monumental in their research AND elegant writing.

I'd also like to recommend David McCullough's biography "John Adams".

For those readers interested in good writing about true crimes, you can't beat Ann Rule (THANKS, CANDI, FOR THE WEBSITE!) or Joe McGinnis's book "Fatal Vision" about Captain Jeffrey MacDonald, who murdered his pregnant wife and two young daughters in 1970 at Fort Bragg and managed to evade prosecution for almost a decade. The writing is equal to the story.

A-Jock

Ooo, the Caro books! I'm promising myself a hardcover copy of "Master of the Senate" after I finish "Means of Ascent". I stopped halfway through the book because I was so depressed and discouraged about LBJ's '48 Senate campaign - just a precursor of the filthy, nasty, money-driven, ethics-free business that national politics has become.

I think Caro's "The Power Broker", about Robert Moses, is one of the best biographies I have ever read - it was assigned as a book in a college class on the history of New York, and I found it wonderful.

And a side note: the first time I was summoned for jury duty here in New York City, Robert Caro was the plaintiff in a real-estate case (some sort of property dispute). During the voir dire, the plaintiff's attorney said his client's name and asked if anyone was familiar with him - like an idiotic groupie, I blurted out, "Robert Caro the AUTHOR? I LOVE him!!!!";)

Allison

This is a great thread. I've heard The DaVinci Code is very good, but haven't gotten to it yet. Books are my biggest vice...I buy way more than I can read! I have to just stop buying them and read what I have.

I like Patricia Cornwell also, although I haven't read anything by her in some time. I have a very vivid picture of Pete Marino also, with a big beer belly and dark, graying hair. I also like Harlan Coben a lot. I've read his three newest books, and am making my way through his Myron Bolitar series. Also, Jonathon King is good.

I'm reading P.D. James' The Murder Room right now. It's a much slower pace, which is frustrating me a little, although it's a good book.

Outside of murder mysteries, I very much enjoy Jodi Picoult's books (very thought provoking) and also Anita Shreve. For fun, I really like Jennifer Crusie. I've been known to laugh out loud on planes and trains, and at work during lunch, reading her books.:D

RE: Allison! LOL!

Allison - that's hilarious! But actually, your candor was exactly what the plaintiff and defense attorneys needed to know, to wisely select their jury. Thanks for the plug on "The Power Broker" - I'll have to get it when I'm done with the LBJ trilogh - again.

Because the Caro trilogy ends at "Master of the Senate", and because of course Johnson became Vice President and President, a good "Caro-substitute" for the vice/presidential years is "Mutual Contempt" (which I finished right before picking up "My Losing Season"). "Mutual Contempt" is about the rivalry between RFK and LBJ, and is extremely enlightening.

Also consider "Kennedy and Nixon" about . . . well, the relationship between John F. Kennedy and Richard Nixon, which, surprisingly, began very cordially and with great mutual admiration and respect.

Politics does indeed make strange bedfellows and enemies. It also makes for the most interesting reading.

A-Jock

RE: Allison! LOL!

A-Jock, thanks for those recommendations. I'll check out "Mutual Contempt" and the Kennedy-Nixon book. The other book in your original post that I loved was "John Adams" - that was a book-club pick and when it was OK'd by my fellow group members, I remember thinking, "oh great, a looooong book about some dead guy in a wig, THIS should be a grind"...and I was fascinated by that book.

Allison

Just finished PASSING FOR THIN
Reading now FAT CHANCE

And cannot wait to start the NEW!!!! Sophie Kinsella book: CAN YOU KEEP A SECRET!!!!

I've been reading a few books by Martin Zender. You won't find him on the best seller list. They are "How to Quit Church without Quitting God" and "Martin Zender Goes to Hell". Really interesting, thought provoking books. He writes about some really serious stuff in a very humorous way.

My favorite book of all time is a southern novel by Olive Burns. It is called "Cold Sassy Tree". It's a feel good story with characters you can reach out and touch. They are so real and so incredibly loveable. Olive Burns died before she finished the sequel to it and her daughter (I think, or someone closely related to her) tried to finish it from her notes. They just couldn't work her magic. I truly wanted to cry when I turned the last page of this book because I fell in love with the characters. Can't tell you the name of the sequel. Just didn't stick with me like "Cold Sassy Tree".

Caramelo is my fun book right now. Recently finished and would recommend The Cave (Saramago) though not for everyone, and Bel Canto. Favorite author of all time: Wallace Stegner. Alexis

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.