What are workout distractions you simply cannot endure?

I get annoyed at my son bugging me during workouts too. Then I look at him trying to do them as well and I feel guilty for being sharp with him over it. Luckily, most of the time I work out while he is asleep.

Just a tip for the other moms: I hide a lot of my workout stuff in my risers and then put my step on top. It helps him to stay out of it because out of sight usually equals out of mind for him!

My only major constant distraction is the dog. If I am doing any type of floorwork he thinks it's ok to either lick me everywhere or try to hump me! He is getting much better about the humping part but it's still annoying to try to do crunches with an 80lb dog trying to get all over you and the mat! Sometimes he lies right around the step too so I have to miss a move or two to push him out of the way or do awkward moves to avoid stepping or tripping over him.

This is hilarious!

I can soooo relate to a lot of these distractions! I work out in the basement, and without fail about 5 minutes in one of my 3 kids is sure to ask for a snack! But to be honest, it has gotten better - when my youngest (now 5 years old) was potty training, she would be down in the basement with me while I was working out and because we don't have a bathroom down there I used one of those plastic portable potties with the 'cup' inside to empty. I used to laugh because it felt like EVERY time I was part way through a workout she would have to go #2, and did so successfully in her little potty! I had mixed emotions - happy she was successful but also frustrated at having to empty the stinky potty in the middle of my workout! I always figured running up and down the stairs to the bathroom was part of my workout!

Oh, another one...strands of hair that won't stay in my ponytail! Or a ponytail elastic that keeps slipping out when I jump!

But really, I can't complain....my Cathe workouts are always fun despite these little distractions! It's just so funny to see that other people have similar distractions...made me laugh.

Kelly

I hate to say it, but even the good ones from Cathe snap eventually. I can't tell you how many bands I've been through. It doesn't matter if they're cheap, expensive or in between, they're all going to snap.

After I wrote this, I went into the city and bought some Cathe ones. No worries, I needed them anyway. All of my 6ft bands have become firewalker bands from snapping anyway.

Sarah

LOL!!! I forgot this one too!! I can't wear undies.........I workout at home so that's perfectly acceptable IMO. My booty is big, it just eats the undies right up
:eek: :) :p

Natasha

Nat, that was so funny. I've never heard it put quite like that. Go commando! I never wear undies it takes a little getting use to, but once you do, undies feel so restrictive.

Sarah

LOL!!! I forgot this one too!! I can't wear undies.........I workout at home so that's perfectly acceptable IMO. My booty is big, it just eats the undies right up
:eek: :) :p

Natasha

Me Too! I thought I was the only one. I can't wear undies and workout. They drive me crazy!!!

I also workout at home, so it is okay!!! hahaha:eek::p

My distractions are the same as what everyone else posted but I'll add one more: I can't stand to have someone watch me when I work out! Sometimes my husband will come in the bedroom where I work out and stretch out on the bed just to watch me 'cause he's bored! I'm like "aaack! This is why I don't go to a gym!!" Then I just stop and tell him to get out!:eek:

What a great thread! I laughed out loud at several of the comments. I had to share the dog humping with the girls at work. They wanted to know why I was laughing so hard!

@mini-natty.....i laughed so hard when i saw ur comment...b/c that's exactly what happens....my butt eats my undies too b/c my butt is big....hahahahahahaha...omg....this thread is so hilarious....i love it:):eek::eek::eek:

I get annoyed at my son bugging me during workouts too. Then I look at him trying to do them as well and I feel guilty for being sharp with him over it. Luckily, most of the time I work out while he is asleep.

Just a tip for the other moms: I hide a lot of my workout stuff in my risers and then put my step on top. It helps him to stay out of it because out of sight usually equals out of mind for him!

My only major constant distraction is the dog. If I am doing any type of floorwork he thinks it's ok to either lick me everywhere or try to hump me! He is getting much better about the humping part but it's still annoying to try to do crunches with an 80lb dog trying to get all over you and the mat! Sometimes he lies right around the step too so I have to miss a move or two to push him out of the way or do awkward moves to avoid stepping or tripping over him.

i wish i could hide my stuff in the risers....but i have sooooo much stuff, so that's impossible for me.....i pretty much have a gym in my house......dumbells(5-40#), 4 sets of barbells, bands, resistance bands and much more.....so they pretty much have free reign of everything....but hopefully i will be able to put it all in a room where i can close the door and that will eliminate that issue:)

i wish i could hide my stuff in the risers....but i have sooooo much stuff, so that's impossible for me.....i pretty much have a gym in my house......dumbells(5-40#), 4 sets of barbells, bands, resistance bands and much more.....so they pretty much have free reign of everything....but hopefully i will be able to put it all in a room where i can close the door and that will eliminate that issue:)

The dumbbells and barbell weights do pose a challenge! Those are out in the open although I do hide as many of them under the bridge of the step as I can. It's the stretch bands, resistance bands, ankle weights, weighted vest, and the slide n glide discs that I hide in the risers. I should have been more specific. I worry the most about him getting the slide n glide discs. Those seem like the easiest to break.

Do your kids climb all over your turbo tower? My son acts like it's his own personal jungle gym. I simply cannot keep him off of it. The other day he did hit himself on the barbell hooks and was crying. But did that keep him off of it? Of course not! I know now when he has been messing around on it because I find the hooks on the floor in the corner. At least he learned something....

MY KIDS!!

They know when mommy is working out you're not allowed to ask me for ANYTHING! Unless it concerns blood or a broken bone....

AGREE! Many things can distract me during a workout - hair that won't stay put, underwear going up my butt, shorts riding up, phone calls, etc - but the kid one is the biggie! I'm okay with it if it's a quick question or something, but if it's something along the lines of, "Mom, help me take apart these 10 lego pieces" (as I'm trying to do pushups) or "Mom, I went poopie! Help me wipe!" (as I'm trying hard to listen to Cathe describe the next move, one I've never done before) .... oy-oy-oy ..... then that's when I can start to lose it. :eek::eek::D:D

The dumbbells and barbell weights do pose a challenge! Those are out in the open although I do hide as many of them under the bridge of the step as I can. It's the stretch bands, resistance bands, ankle weights, weighted vest, and the slide n glide discs that I hide in the risers. I should have been more specific. I worry the most about him getting the slide n glide discs. Those seem like the easiest to break.

Do your kids climb all over your turbo tower? My son acts like it's his own personal jungle gym. I simply cannot keep him off of it. The other day he did hit himself on the barbell hooks and was crying. But did that keep him off of it? Of course not! I know now when he has been messing around on it because I find the hooks on the floor in the corner. At least he learned something....

I definitely see what ur saying....and maybe i need to consider that with my slide n glide discs b/c as of right now i cannot find one of them.....grrrrr......and i don't have a turbo tower(yet:)), but they climb all over everything else...my step, my high step, my bench, my spin bike....it never ends...and let's not forget about the bouncy bosu.....lol.....and that's exactly what happens with mine....they hurt themselves on something (which is why i tell them not to mess with it in the first place), but it doesn't make them stop they just mess with it again....like 5 minutes later....lol....gotta love em tho:)

I definitely see what ur saying....and maybe i need to consider that with my slide n glide discs b/c as of right now i cannot find one of them.....grrrrr......and i don't have a turbo tower(yet:)), but they climb all over everything else...my step, my high step, my bench, my spin bike....it never ends...and let's not forget about the bouncy bosu.....lol.....and that's exactly what happens with mine....they hurt themselves on something (which is why i tell them not to mess with it in the first place), but it doesn't make them stop they just mess with it again....like 5 minutes later....lol....gotta love em tho:)

Sounds like my house! I try to hide stuff in the risers under the step (my discs, bands, dixie cups, gloves, ect) but my daughter knows that I put stuff there (she has seen me do it). Then out comes the toddler "mega strength". She lifts one side of the step and manages to take it off the risers :confused:. She has this fascination with my stability ball, tubing, weights. I don't know how that kid lifts the 5 lbs! She has gotten hurt a few times, but she is right back at it shorty thereafter:mad:

Last edited:

LOL!!! This KILLED ME!!!!

I work out in the morning after DS goes off to school. I have to clean up the kitchen or I think about the dirty dishes in the sink then that is an excuse to "take a break" and clean them up.
Phone calls!!! I will not answer the phone
My two dogs like to go to the "gym" with me, I just have to make sure they are on the couches and not on the floor.
My cat likes to attack my mat and barbell and likes to hide under my step...not safe
I wear the shorts with built in underwear, I cannot wear underwear when running or working out
I could go on and on...but thats enought for now!

These are all hilarious!!!

I forgot about the children interruptions....I have always told my children...don't bug mom when she is exercising unless a body part is broken or blood is involved!

Cute thread! So many of us have the same distractions.

My number one can't-deal-with thing is my hair hanging down my neck or in my face. I cannot abide the sweaty, sticky mass of hair anywhere near my face or neck. In addition to that, I can't stand seeing an instructor with her hair hanging down in her face (Jari Love I'm talking to YOU!).

I don't like being cold. I cannot run outside when the temp is too low. Cold air hurts my eyes, my ears and my lungs. On the flip side, I am fine to run in 100+ degrees.... literally!

And the last thing is, I can't stand to work out with long pants or capris on. ACK! I don't want anything on my legs. I have a pair of short shorts, and sometimes those even come off and I'm just working out in my panties.

Jeanne:

this response made me laugh and yes, in total recognition! We are sisters! I agree with every little workout peeve, and yes, Jari Love has a lot to answer for!

I watch Cathe and crew working out in long pants and I feel hot just looking at them. My warm up layers come off almost instantly and it's 3" seam shorts for me too, for every activity, the less clothing the better.

It is totally psychological but I cannot work out at home between late November and late March: I cannot stand the lack of light and the cold. It doesn't matter that I will heat up really quickly: I just cannot even think about undressing in such a cold house as I inhabit.

Apart from these pet peeves, not a lot gets to me. I spent my kids' childhood being interrupted constantly while doing my Cathe workouts at home and have gotten used to it. My husband comes in and asks me stuff, my daughter comes in and asks can I make her dinner and I can answer these questions, keep going and put pasta on to boil during a water break. No sweat!

Clare

I work out in my basement. My number one distraction is the boiler when it kicks on. I cannot hear Cathe's directions! I should just shut it down for the workout. Secondly, I cannot stand my bangs on my extrememly sweaty forehead. I must work out in shorty shorts - nothing on my legs. I start out with a tank top, a t-shirt, and a sweatshirt. They eventually will be peeled off. Sometimes down to my undies and sportsbra. Lastly, my workout shoes must be fit and tied perfectly. Too tight or too loose, I am so uncomfortable. I work out a 4am, so no phone calls or people to interrupt me.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.