~*~We're In This Together~*~ (June-Sept)

Hi ladies,

Hope everyone is well.

I did STS last night. Love the old fashion weight lifting. :D I'm slowing getting back in to the swing of things. I did Turbo Fire on Monday night. I can only do those hiit workouts not the long cardio ones. Not crazy about cardio at all.

Hi Marie, Jack was the same way at school. Whenever I drop him off, he likes to hang by me. I had to encourge him to go play with his little friends. He went to a birthday party (his first one) some months back, he held on to my leg for a good 10 minutes before he relaxed. I think this is something they will grow out of. It takes me awhile to make friends. Maybe Jack is the same way. :D

Nice job on the workouts!

Yeah I'm the same way with making friends.

Hi everyone!

Sorry I have not checked-in lately :eek:. Truth is that I have been busy this past week. Bella was sick for a few days, but she recovered quickly (thank goodness!). She's also been having a bit of a hard time at school this week, where she did not want to go and had a few little crying episodes in the playground when we dropped her off :(. Funny thing is that when we pick her up from school, she says she had a great day and is very happy and energetic. I'm assuming this is part of the adjustment period. It also reassures me a bit when I see other children have crying fits in the morning :D.

I'm still plugging away at my Nia rotation! Along with walking my miles every day, foam rolling, and I did a Jessica Smith 30min hiit w/o from youtube (unexpectedly hard!). I feel awesomely strong and powerful! Lifting a 100lbs bar off the floor is really empowering, to say the least . I'm really so happy I embarked on this program. Training for strength, IMO, is very rewarding for the body and mind.

Sarah
Your trip to the lake sounded wonderful :). When is your official move-in date?

Justina
WTG on starting back up with STS! I know exactly how you feel about cardio ;). With regards to the short w/o's, Burn Sets are the only ones you have (I think) that fit the bill. I don't have DVD's, but maybe you could check the premix options on some of your other Cathe's. I'm sorry I can't be more help :(.

Marie
Ahhh cute little B :). Bella was the exact opposite where she would run away from me at the drop of a hat at that age. Now she clings onto me or daddy like white on rice.
Are you excited for Cathe's new step w/o :eek:. It looks very complicated but SO much fun!

Colleen
TBH I have not see any clips except for the Party Rockin Step one. I feel as though my "Cathe Obsession" is starting to die off :(. I still reach for her cardio w/o's here and there, but I'm really loving Nia's program for traditional strength training. It's nothing like STS M3 (or any program that I've ever done, actually).
Glad to hear the kids are doing well :). UGH homework :mad:. Can't wait for that s**t to start happening :rolleyes:.
Breaking Bad = :(:(:(:(:( Hank [tears].

Have a great w/e ladies :cool:

I am so sad about Hank too. I was pretty dissapointed. I cant watch anymore of the Breaking Bads till I get to Alaska with my hubby. No official move date. I should hear on Monday. We threw out tenative dates for the 6-12 of October. Our new house closes on the 25th of September. I have decided to drive up with the kids, dog (I think this will be easier on her), and a small trailer with necessity items (it will take 4 weeks to get everything else). My friend Stanley will be going with me too. I would like to leave no later than October 12-13 as not to hit bad weather as well as interfering with my daughters 12 birthday on the 22nd of October. I also don't want to rush the drive. I would like to drive no more than about 7 hours a day anything more that that I start getting restless leg sydrome, LOL.

Its so nice to be able to sit and relax reading everyones post. I kind of hold it over my head and don't let myself until I get something accomplished. I just installed a pain in my ass light fixture. So now onto more painting.

Sarah

Hi everyone!
Hope you all had a good weekend.

Natasha, what's the program you're on with Nia? I love her posts but I don't have any experience with her work out program yet. I have visited her website though. I know she likes to keep things simple and that is one of the things that I like about her! :D I'm sorry about Bella's crying fits at school. Jack did the same thing when he first started daycare. It does get better. It's a matter of adjusting to a new environment. I know this will be behind you very soon!

Hi Sarah, it's such an exciting time for your family. I'm sure you will settle down bit by bit. :) You have to tell me about Alaska. I'm curious. :D Glad you have help for the drive there. Having kids and a dog means several stops and it can get exhausting quickly.

Hi Marie, Nancy and Colleen!

Have a good day everyone!

Justina

I did a 100lbs sumo deadlift today!!!! :eek::eek::eek:.
I can't describe the euphoria I felt picking that bad boy off the floor! Nia is totally right -- training for strength has a plethora of benefits, beyond "aesthetic". Every workout, I'm not just going through the motions. I have a goal, and that goal is to increase my weight #'s on the bar and improve my performance. I'm doing very little isolation exercises, and yet my muscles are getting hard and dense, my shoulder's and knee's feel strong and healthy, my posture has improved. TBH, I was a little skeptical that a program with such simplicity could yield such incredible results. But man, she is right on the money!

My w/o today was:

1) 6x4R sumo deads

2) 6x4R chin-ups w/vest superset w/
6x4R barbell overhead *45lbs!!!! Which is the highest I have ever done!!*

*Beach work*
3x8-10R barbell curls
3x8-10R tricep kickbacks
3x8-10R lateral raises

JUstina
I'm doing Nia's Beautiful Bad A$$ program: Beautiful Badass with GetDPD » Nia Shanks. There are a total of 19 rotations to chose from! It takes a bit of getting used to not working out to a DVD, but once you get into the swing of things it can be quite awesome. I use my own music that get's me all fired up, and I use an on-line timer to monitor my breaks.
Thank you for reassuring me that Jackson was the same way :). It makes me feel good, so thank you :).
How are the girls doing at school? Do they like their teacher?

Sarah
I'm so excited for you! Alaska seems like such a beautiful, surreal place to live. If I ever want to visit, can I stay at your house? I'll pay for food ;):D.

Hope everyone is doing well! Have a wonderful day :cool:

Sunday, I rode abt 10 miles on my touring bike here in TX. DOMS galore. Haven't rode in 4 years at leasr.

Hey hey!

I did Low Max today and did Step Blast yesterday. B has been getting up at 7/730 so I've been up a 6 to workout. It's so much easier to just do it right away instead of either doing it with him down in the basement with me or trying to wait till his nap. That way I can really enjoy my mornings with him too. Think stories, playtime, songs :) and a nice cup of coffee for me. He's a little snuggler too which I absolutely love :)

Today we went to the mall. I think I mentioned there's an amusement park in the middle. We walked around there and B just loved all the lights and noises. We also went to Lego land. There's a big area with Legos that all the kids can play with. It was time to leave when he starting putting them in his mouth. Thank goodness for hand wipes.

So I've been looking into playdates for B and I found a couple mom groups on meetups.com. Seems like there is some good activities. Storytimes (besides our usual Monday one), free concerts, craft projects for toddlers, park dates. So anyways I found one that I'm going to tomorrow. It's 4 moms including me and they all have kids born in 2011 or 2012. We are meeting at a park and then having a lunch that we packed. Should be fun although I must admit I'm a little nervous. I get nervous meeting new people but I'm sure we will all bond talking about the kiddos. I'll keep ya posted.

Ugh why did I drink coffee at 5. Not tired but need to go to bed.

Natty- Way to rock that 100 lbs! You are an animal :) I love it :)

Jen- Nice job the bike ride. Great to hear from you :)

Sarah- So happy to hear about Alaska. It's all coming along and is so exciting.

Hi to Colleen, Nancy and Justina :)

Happy Hump Day ladies!

I have today off and it's Mark's birthday so I'm making a nice vanilla birthday cake for him. We are going to go to the WI Dells again for the weekend to stay at the Wilderness Resort for his birthday. Should be fun! :)

Workouts: yesterday I did Paul Katami's Kettlebell Konnect (Paul Katami's Kettlebell Konnect) with my 12lb bell. It was just the right weight for that workout. The first time I did it I tried both my 10 and 15lb bells, alternating depending on the exercise and neither one felt quite right. Since I got Kettlebell Kickboxing, I decided to buy two 12 lb kettlebells for use in the Double Kettlebell Cardio workout that she has (which was loads of fun!). I got to use the 12lb'er for Paul's workout and it was just right! I may try to use it when I do Burn and Build next time as well. :D

I plan on doing this one somewhat regularly until I can get the moves down more smoothly, though. I felt I did better than the first time, but the choreography is such that it will take a little practice to get the flow down elegantly. I also want to get to a point where I can add some of the "power moves" that Paul does. As it is, I'm so focused on getting the moves down without flailing around that I leave out most of the plyo/jump moves.

Today I did Cardio Leg Blast and then tacked on XTrain Legs (standing only portion). Feeling awesome!

Natty and Sarah- Breaking Bad is breaking my heart! Poor Hank. :( Poor Jesse!! I almost couldn't take what happened to Andrea in the last episode and Jesse's reaction. Dear God...if Aaron Paul doesn't win the Emmy next year there is no justice in this world!!! :eek: Speaking of the Emmy's...YAY for Breaking Bad winning Best Drama! Jeff Daniels winning over Jon Hamm or Bryan Cranston, though? WTH??? :confused: One more episode left of BB...I'm dreading and excited for it all at the same time!

Marie- Have fun on the play dates! It's funny because since I got out of college it's been tougher to make new adult friends, but now that the kids are getting older we are starting to meet and befriend some of their friends parents! lol Hey, whatever works, right? :D

Natty- Congrats on the 100 lbs sumo deadlifts! :eek: AWESOME!

Sarah- I hope the move to Alaska is going smoothly! Can't wait to hear how things go with the move and how you like it. :)

Jen- HI there! How are things going in Texas? Do you like your new job?

Waving a big hello to Justina and Nancy! :D Have a great week ladies!

Last edited:
Hi ladies!

Taking a break at work. I deserve it! :) I've been busting my behind.

Thanks Natasha! Not working out to a DVD will definitely take some getting used to. I've been using DVDs for 10+ years. It will be fun picking out the music I want to listen to. Love the 80's! :D It's worth a try for sure! I'm getting bored with the DVD I have and I'm not ready to purchase any new ones yet. I'll check out Nia's programs later on today. Good for you for 100 pound deadlifts!! That's freakin' awesome! Of course Bada** too! :D

Hi Marie,
It's great to see these wonderful things you can do with B. Knowing that I can't do these things during the day with Jackson, I should play with him as much as possible when I get home. I've been running around doing things in the evenings, and then I go to bed. We haven't played much. I'ts awesome you found other moms to hang out with. :) I'm the same with meeting new people. I feel a bit of anxiety.

Hi Colleen,
I have to start watching Breaking Bad again. I watched the first few episodes and stopped. I think Netflix has it for streaming. Guess what I'm doing this weekend? :D

Hi Nancy, where are you? are you on vacation?

Hi Jen, Sarah,
Hope all is well!

Have a good day!

Justina

Happy Friday!

My w/o yesterday was:

1) 6x4R barbell reverse lunges

2) 6x4R push-ups (I did tricep push-ups with 1 foot elevated for more of a challenge :eek:).

6x4R inverted rows

3) 6x4R front squats (getting better at them! Those are hard AND awesome at the same time).

Colleen
Your KB w/o's make me super jealous! I really DO need to buy a heavier bell, especially for swings. I find that my 10lbs is ok with some UB moves, but I do need more of a challenge for my booty :eek:.
I agree about Bryan Cranston :mad:. WTH? I'm not a fan of award shows, as I rarely watch them, but I was hoping both Aaron and Bryan would win because they are absolutely deserving of it. Did you hear about the Better Call Saul spin-off? I'm looking forward to it!
Oh and happy birthday to Mark! I hope you have a great w/e at the Wilderness Resort. Sounds like something I would love :).

Justina
I also got bored with DVD's and really wanted a different challenge. Using mainly compound movements (squat, deadlift, push-ups, chin-ups, ect.) really work the entire body very well. TBH, as soon as I started frequent deadlifting, I noticed more muscle on my body. Here is a vid I think you will really enjoy:
The ONLY 4 Exercises You Need to Grow Stronger - YouTube. I have been following Elliott for a bit of time now, and he gives out some excellent advice. I find him and Nia share similar views. Anyway, I have been doing those 4 exercises (deadlifts, dips, front squats, chin-ups) and I could not agree more with him.

Marie
:(:(:( poor B has strep? I feel so bad for the little guy. I wish him a very speedy recovery. I find that children are able to bounce back quickly after an illness.
I hope you and B have a great time on the play-dates!

Jen
WTG on the bike riding!

Last edited:
Yup my poor little man has strep throat. I actually thought it was another ear infection when I brought him in last night. He was batting at his ears and his balance was off. He had a low grade temp too. His ears were fine so they did a strep test and it was positive. My poor little guy. We had lots of snuggle time today. I did get GS legs in before he woke up this morning. First time doing that one and I loved it. The floor work is great! Cathe is so creative!

After one of the most stressful weeks of my life, we officially own another home (its our 3rd, crazy long story). We closed on the Anchorage house on Wednesday. I'm taking a short trip to Anchorage on Friday the 4th of October to measure some rooms for furniture. We cant take any of the girls furniture because remember we did built-in loft beds and all the ikea furniture thats anchored to the walls. I will Come home on the 7th. The movers are coming on the 9th and 10th. I wont get our stuff for 4 weeks up in Anchorage. Then hopefully if everything goes smoothly with passports and Enhanced driver's licenses. I will drive to Anchorage around the 15th. 3 kids, 1 dog, my friend Stanley and myself will pile in the car for a ROADTRIP.

Nat- You are a badass! Hows Bella and school?

Jen - Good to hear from you

Colleen - i hope your having fun on your mini-vacay.

Marie - im sorry to hear B has strep. My daughters went through a strep phase when they first started school. It was like one of them had it every month.

Justina - You do deserve to take a break at work. I was going to do Nia's program too after I did Body Beast but then the move happened and I didnt even finish BB. Oh well there is always once I get settled in AK.

Nancy - Get in anymore hikes? The weather here is awful. Rain and lots of it. No Indian summer for the Northwest.

Sarah

Yes, I'm still alive...I've been on vacation for the past 2 weeks :)D): first week was hiking in Shenandoah and the second week was day trips to several different state parks for more hiking. We even managed to squeeze in a zoo trip (lots of walking...might qualify as horizontal hiking :p).
I am fired up about the arrival of the new workouts! Mine are supposed to be here on Tuesday! I'll be previewing and working out a new rotation with them ASAP!!! Lately I've been adding glute work everyday and trying to perfect my push-ups and inverted rows. I'm also going to focus a bit more on abs. I may have to do a quickie morning "wake-up workout" everyday to fit this all in! Then in the evenings after work I'll do a DVD.
Today I'll be taking a 90 minute walk, doing the aforementioned glute/push-up/row/ab work and getting ready to go back to work tomorrow. My DH and I have vowed to try to get more hiking in throughout the fall/winter this year. I wouldn't be opposed to every Sunday morning ;):p!
Well that's about it for now...just wanted to do a quick howdy to everyone!

Hi Friends.
Love Texas and grateful for my job. Was picked for a premium client. Start training again soon. Grateful that everything fell into place since I moved.
Biked at least 20 miles round trip today & maybe 6 miles yesterday plus walking everyday at lunch.
Spinning closer to mt. biking than road but it'll help me with the new series.

Jen

Hi ladies!

Did you all have a good weekend? My weekend wasn't bad. We did some yard work on Sunday. I need a vacation where I do nothing!

Marie, poor little B. I hope he recovers quickly. It's hard to see little ones hurt.

Hi Natasha, thanks for the link. I actually love doing deadlifts. :) Glad he thinks it's one of the workouts I should do at least once a week! I did some practice of just lifting on my own without a DVD. I did some basic upper body lifts while watching TV. I hope to purchase Nia's program soon.

Hi Nancy,
Nice to see you back! What workouts did you get? All Cathe's new ones? Let me know what you think. I'm not planning on getting any until I get trusted review. :D

Hi Sarah, roadtrip sounds like fun! We haven't done one of those in a long time. Work and other things always get in the way. :) Glad high-stress time is over for you! After taking a break from BodyBeast I did Best Cardio over the weekend. It nearly killed me. LOL I had to stop short on almost all of the sets. It proves taking a long break like I did is not a good idea! :)

Hi Colleen, Jen,
Hope all is well with you!

Justina

Hi everyone!

This week is my de-load week. My w/o was easy peasy, working at about 65% 1RM.

4x10 goblet squats
4x10 push-ups
15-20 KB swings
4x10 inverted rows
4x10 stiff leg deadlifts

That's it, that's all :D.

A bit stressed out this week cuz' I got a notice that there is lice in the school :(. I knew it was only a matter of time :mad:. As a precaution I have been spraying Bella's hair with this lice repellent for a few weeks now. The other day I bought tea tree oil spray and conditioner. I can deal with a lot of stuff, but lice just freaks me the hell out. A few years ago, I actually got it from a co-worker, whose kids had lice. I'm assuming it came on her jacket and then transferred to mine (we kept all of our jackets hung up in one area). Anyway, after so many OTC treatments, the stuff just would not die! I ended up having to soak my hair in olive oil and tea tree oil, and on top of that I dyed my hair. Along with picking out the nits, it took a good 2 weeks of hell for all of it to be gone. So ya, that's my story. If Bella was a boy I would totally be shaving her head right now.

Sarah
Sorry to hear about all that stress w/moving and getting another house (?). I'm sure it will all be worth it :).
Bella is ok, thank you for asking. She still cries a bit every morning but I have confidence that she will adjust soon.

Sorry for the short personals but I have to get going! BBL!

So did anyone try the new w/o's yet?! I'm anxious to read feedback :eek:

Justina
How is the standing desk working out for you, btw?
If you do end up getting Nia's program, I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how effective it actually is. WTG on doing some UB work while watching tv :eek:.

Jen
I'm so happy to hear TX is working out well!
WTG on the biking too!

Nancy
DID YOU TRY ANY OF THE NEW W/O'S? :eek:
If you are looking for an incredible "core" workout, you must try front squats! I swear, nothing works my core stabilizer's more than that exercise! Elliott swears by front squats, putting it in the top 4 of his most preferred exercises to build a strong body. The thing is that you cannot let your core collapse while doing it because then the bar will roll off! I'm not a fan of isolation core work, so doing front squats is like a dream come true for me :).

Marie

How is B doing? Poor little guy :(

Hey!

B is doing so much better. We just have a couple days left on his antibiotic.

I got all my workout DVDs :) The only one I've done so far is PRS#1. I've actually done it the past three days and absolutely love it. I perfected it :) It's just so much fun!!!! But you know me I just love my complex step choreography. I could see where it wouldn't be for everyone.

My mom is coming in town this weekend so I think we're going to try Knockout Rockout or is it Rockout Knockout lol. B's birthday party is on Sunday, looking forward to that. We are going to have a houseful, about 40 people.

Off to bed for me. I work early tomorrow. Have a great Friday everyone!

Last edited:
Hi Everyone!
Happy Saturday! Hoping to preview some of the new series today. College network event tonight. Sister campus of mine in MI. Storms coming in soon.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.