Weightloss Challenge Through Dec 2012 - Jun 22

Thanks. I have been steady. Thanks to Cathe I have found my new love. Fitness! I always look forward to my workouts and it never gets boring, since I have all of her DVD's now! Looking forward to Crossfire and to the max! I am getting so excited! I just can't wait! :D

I'm in....

Hello, my name is Toni and I would love to join your check-in. I'm currently 5' 8" tall and weigh 144 lbs. My weight is up just a bit because I just returned from a cruise where I ate whatever I wanted and did not workout. I'd like to get back to 138-140 lbs. But I have to say I'm finding that figuring out how to mainteance eat without feeling like I'm on a diet is a challenge. So I'd like to join to help me get my eating consistently healthy. If I do that, maintaining my weight loss(15lbs) will not be a problem. BTW...I workout six days a week without fail so that is the easy part for me.

Gonnabea5 - I have no idea how you do it with a 1500 diet. When I try to do 1800 a day I have a really hard time. 2000/day is the best I can do when I'm going for a calorie defecit(sp??). I'd love to see what your meal plan looks like so I can see your secret ;)

Oh...today's workout was Low Max followed by STS Abs No Equip. Forgot to mention I'm starting STS this week. Very excited about that. Disc 1 is tomorrow!!

Looking forward to getting to know everyone :cool:

Good morning,

well I was up a quarter pound, but am glad that is all it was. I did not eat well until yesterday. It's tough on the weekend. I had pan seared talipia yesterday for dinner, and the quinoa recipe from this site with chicken for lunch. Breakfast is always the same for me, one slice of spelt toast, with a small turkey sausage patty.

I am trying to do the Couch to 5K running program, but starting really slow, and actually doing each week twice.

Stmirli, thanks for the recipe. I don't have a glass pie plate, any suggestions on a substitute pan to use? I have a square 9 inch glass pan..?

Welcome Toni! Good luck with STS!

Good job MissyT

Take care,

Wow, you are all so inspiring! This check-in is just what I need right now. I've been giving into stress eating lately and need a kick in the pants.

I'm just coming off STS Meso 1 rest week, which ended up exhausting me. Those cardio weeks do me in. Over the weekend we cycled 98 miles and today the overtraining warning bells went off. I have M2D1 in store this morning. Tomorrow will be a forced day off. I haven't had a rest day since the end of May. Our town has a crit race tomorrow night, so I'll go watch that instead. : )

My biggest nutrition issue right now is hydration. I'm a recovering Cranapple juice over endulger, and giving that vice up helped me lose the weight during my first round of STS. I drink water, but I'm not motivated to drink 8 glasses a day. Avoiding any artificial sweetner is a must, so my delemma is finding a non-caloric flavored water that will keep me drinking. When I cycle, I do allow myself Gatorade, but have learned those carbs add up fast. Seltzer water is okay, but still not a big motivator.

I've been logging into Myfitnesspal everyday, but get lazy with it by the end of the day. My goal is to log EVERYTHING this week. The amount of weight you all have lost is incredible! My hats off to everyone! : )

Monday

Hi eveyone,

Its great to see how many people have joined the check-in!

For those of you trying the wheat-free diet - I had done a lot of reading on this, and came across a point about quinoa. Technically its not a grain, but a seed, so don't think that by eating quinoa you are cheating on your diet! There is a website called marksdailyapple.com that has great suggestions and encouragement for those of you trying paleo/wheat-free. There's an article on that site about quinoa.

Shereta - congrats on your long run - its great that you kept going even though you felt it was torture. Better to keep going even if you had to walk, then give up and feel like a failure.

Janie - I think its awesome that you've been able to keep up with the paleo diet and its helping your GERD. I've read your success story on the forums, and you are really inspirational! Don't forget that when you're feeling discouraged.

I ran 10K (6.5 miles) yesterday - woohoo! and I felt great during the entire run. This is the longest run I've done in months since my workout routine was derailed. My time was 66 minutes. I used to be able to run that in 51 minutes, but I'm not going to feel down about that. I'm just so happy that I was able to endure for the entire run. The high I felt after that run kept me from cheating on my diet goals.

It was mentioned about being addicted to cranberry juice, and I totally understand that! I've been addicted to Diet Coke/Diet Sprite, and I'm giving that up. I realized that the artificial sweetener plus the accidity in those drinks is not healthy (even though you feel you are making the healthy choice by picking a diet pop). So far so good, although it has been hard because I often felt that a Diet Sprite at night was something for me to look forward to (crazy right?) But I am focusing on just drinking water and green tea. I'm thinking of brewing up some iced green tea with lemon, or infusing it with other fruits.

OK, so that's all for me right now. Looking forward to reading everyone's successes, and tips you have for what helped you to stop stress-eating/mindless eating. I know for myself personally when I am mindless eating, its usually at night, and its usually because I'm tired. So rather than forcing myself to stay awake, I just force myself to GO TO BED!!!

Morning, All. Today's workout was a 3 mile treadmill run and then Slide and Glide.

Someone asked about me keeping 1500 calories a day; well, that's my goal. So far, I've been able to handle it. But I can now on some days I will allow up to 1800. I plan my meals and snacks out, just like the biggest loser people suggest and keep busy in between.
i.e. B: oatmeal, eggs, apple
s. yogurt, string cheese
l. salad, low fat protein like high fiber bread with turkey or tuna, apple
s. fiber bar, carrots or yogurt
sensible dinner

then I'm done. If I need two cookies or a FF pudding i have it. I drink 2 cups of coffee and take my vitamins. So far so good. The scale is moving already. Yea. I weigh in on Fridays.

Keep up the great work everyone.

Been very bad. I got on the scales and gained two pounds. What a kick in the pants! Truly needed that kick though. I think what threw me off was the chocolate dip I put on our cheesecake. The first ingredient was HFCS (such a devious/very unhealthy concoction). I ate everything in site after that for two and a half days). All these months I've been so good, but when I ate that, it messed me up on everything. Anyway, I don't like to blame myself for this one, because it really did get out of hand and I like to think I'm in more control than that. Live and learn. I'm back eating very well and will lose these extra pounds soon so I can be back where I was. A walk in the forest later with my little dog Rolly and then a Hitt, but don't know which one yet. Will post that later First, I need to go shopping . I'm in Shelton, to get some things done, load up stuff we need for the beach (my weights first thing) and on Wedn. will be back at the Beach House (a very humble very small single mobile home with a tip out that we renovated) and only a 5 min. walk to the beach.

Nicole
, I hear you about the eating, believe me:(. The thing to do is just what you and I are doing now. Not giving up and continuing our journey to health and fitness, and surrounded by people that want the same thing. You are right, we have to move on.:D With the Paleo diet, I don't feel the need to eat more than 3 meals a day. Most of the time I don't get hungry and when I do I eat 1/2 piece of fruit with a dab of walnut butter. Oh, you are so close to eating Paleo. I tweak the diet and include 1/2 cup of Steal Cut Oats in the morning with egg whites and a piece of fruit. Then I put Greek Yogurt on my protein meals for lunch and dinner. Works out great.

Lisa, Congratulations for the wheat free diet and losing weight by it. I think that is so awesome. I would love to try some wheat-free recipes. Thank you for the Flaxseed Wrap recipe. I'll be sure to try this one very soon. I too had withdrawls when I started the Paleo Diet. But soon after felt exhilarated, full and content. I guess it was the unhealthy stuff that had to work itself out in order for the good stuff to make itself in. Tweaking our diets to fit us personally is truly key. I add oatmeal and Yogurt to my diet.

Deb, Don't worry, it was hard for me as well to admit my binging. But I think it helps us more to continue on. It's a brave thing we are doing, and I admire that. I'm glad you had a good day. Here's to many more.

Missyt, Congratulations on losing so many pounds. That is truly so awesome! Me too, if I lose a pound in a week, it would be great, but it's more like 1/2 pound and most of the time even less than that. I'll be eating this way from now on so my body will let me know when it's enough. I love that feeling as well. Excited to do a workout from Cathe. I too have all of her DVD's. Can't wait for the new ones to come to my door.:D

Toni
, Love tall people! My husband is tall too and watching him walk, to me is a joy. Long lean steps, seems like he's gliding. :) I've been on one cruise and man o man, I remember eating all the time and just enjoying that kind of lifestyle. What an experience that was. Haven't reached maintenance yet, and hear that is a challenging step to keep the weight there. For me I'll be eating this way (Paleo Diet) for the rest of my life. It's the only way I can keep my GERD (reflux disease) under control. I really don't have a choice. I don't know what the end result will be, but it's got to be much better than a very heavy and unhappy person I was before. So glad you joined us, we can all learn from each other. Great job on Low Max and STS abs with no equipment. Enjoy STS, I'll be starting the Meso 2 and 3 in a couple of weeks.

Deb, Don't worry about the extra 1/4 pound. You just started and the scale will start moving down soon. Just get adjusted to your new way of eating. Watch the portions. That's something I have to constantly do. Oh, I do love your goal! Running a 5k program is awesome.

Fembot40, OMG! 98 miles riding a bike is something I can't even fathom. My over training warning bell would be not being able to walk! That's amazing and incredeble to me! I'll be starting M2D1 in a couple of weeks. Seems to me your day off is well deserved and just what your body needs. Enjoy your rest by watching the race tomorrow! I drink a lot of coffee during in the morning and early afternoon, and so far with no ill effects. By late afternoon and evening I drink ice water or chamomile tea with nothing in it. I think a person gets use to things by habit, so I made it mine to get the necessary hydration in that way. My hat is off to you for riding your bike for 98 miles. that is so awesome, really.

Melanie, Thank you for the Quinoa information. I read the article and have been adding it to my Steal cut oats in the mornings. 1/4 c. of ea. Very tasty. Awe, thank you also for your support. If I can inspire anyone, that in itself comes back and inspires me. I'll remember that when I get discouraged. I needed to hear that today. Fantastic job on running 10K yesterday! Wow, I'm so proud of you. And in only 66 minutes. You know, you have inspired me. When I get back to the beach on Wedn. I'm going to start slowly and run intervals on the beach (weather permitting). Hmmmm, sounds like fun. Hope to get a high somewhat like yours someday. LOL:D It's time to kick it up a notch anyway. Hmmm, will be adding kiwi fruit to my chamomile tea tonight. Sounds so refreshing.

Shereta, For me there is no way I could eat that many calories and not gain weight. But, I'm older too, so that might have a lot to do with that. I say whatever works for you then do it! Great job on a 3 mile treadmill run and also doing Slide and Glide. That one is very challenging to me. But then what isn't? LOL:eek:

Have a good day everyone,

Janie

Last edited:
? for Janie

Hey Janie,

Read your post - what is HFCS? Just wondering how that could derail you like that.

I know what you're going through - I think EVERYONE knows what you went through with eating everything in sight. I've done it, and I've felt so guilty afterwards.

But tomorrow is another day - and it sounds like you have a good plan to get back on track.

A walk in the forest with my little doggy and did 30/30 today. I'm a wonderful sweaty mess.

Melainie, HFCS (high fructose corn syrup). It and me does not get along. Been myself today and every thing is back to normal. Thank Goodness! I'll never do that again. Of course will have to lose those couple of pounds. No problem.

Take care,

Janie

Last edited:
Good morning all,

No workout this morning, late class at the dog club, so Tuesday is a rest day for me. Yesterday was a good day, I did not overeat, and no junk! About 1500-1600 calories which is where I want to be.

Everyone seems to be doing well, keep up the good work!

Deb

Hello all. Yesterday was M1 W1 D1 from STS. I liked it. I think my weights were a bit to high for the shoulder exercises, so I'm going to adjust that. This is definitely going to be a journey!

Eating was very good yesterday. I was really hungry, but every time I was hungry I grabbed something healthy. I didn't count my calories yesterday, but I eat pretty much the same stuff all the time so I'm guessing I was around the 2000 calorie mark. This week I'm going to research some healthy snacks. I want to be able to have something healthy in the house that I like for after dinner when I'm still hungry. It seems that for me having up to 2000 - 2200 calories a day won't cause me to gain weight as long as they are healthy nutritious calories. This amount of food also seems so support my workout schedule really well and keeps me energized throughout the day.

Oh I'm also working on reducing my sugar and even sugar substitutes. I usually have a cup of tea in the morning with 5 packets of equal(I know I know), but yesterday I was able to cut that back to 2 packets. Not sure if I'll be able to go lower than that. It seems like I'm drinking boiled water when I do...LOL!

Have a good day all :)

Feeling pleasantly sore from yesterday's M2D13. Nice to see improvements being made from this round of STS from the last round. Today is a FORCED day off, was shocked to see I haven't had a day off since May 5. I will, of course, walk our usual 3 mile leisurely evening walk with hubby and dog and have a full day of housework looming.

Monday's food logging went well until the brownie baking last night. I snuck the remains into DH's lunch bag this morning, so there will be no more cheating today. I've noticed a pattern of bad eating if lunch is not nutritionally complete. I'll be working on planning a better afternoon meal today. And again, liquids will be another focus today (yes Tina, you do like water).

Good luck and hope you all have a great day. :)

Hey Fembot!

I did M2D13 yesterday too! It was awesome, although I have to adjust the weight for some of the shoulder exercises. I tried 14 pounds on the alternating shoulder press and it was too much.

Are you going through the entire STS program?

Wow, we've had lots of activity so far this week. I'm glad this 6 months challenge is appealing to so many people. That's a good amount of time to make some serious progress on our ultimate goals. Actually, I plan on reaching my ultimate by then - hint: check out my user name. teehee

Great workout today. I burned over 1200 calories with a treadmill workout of 6 X 400 then tacking on 80% of Cardio SS.

Now, to make it a better day, I must eat good food. I should have no problem dropping 2.5 by friday.

Happy Tuesday all! This morning I did Body Max, then cut the lawn and weeded, cut palm trees and sweat some more.

No wheat eating is going great. I made some organic kale chips and gluten-free granola for crunch. I ordered some wheat free bread baking supplies and cookbooks for my bread machine.

I cheated on Sunday at the movies. I just cannot resist that popcorn! It was my breakfast and lunch. Other than that, I am doing well.

Have a good week, everyone!
Lisa

Hi Melanie,

Cool we're at the same point of STS. This is my second round this year and plan on doing another round after this one is complete. I managed to use 16lbs on the overhead press, but quickly dropped on every set of the rear delts and lateral raises. Shoulders are my weakest area and I can feel them today for sure. I seem to be about one to two pounds more on each body part on this second round, so the system really does seem to work. Watching Cathe using those 30lb dumbells on all of the chest fly work made my eyes bug out of my head. :eek: I can't imagine being that strong!

: ) Tina

HI Everyone!

Janie: thanks for the encouragment to try 30/30. I am in my recovery week for STS, but will be sure to add it in my rotation! It is daunting, but you are right....modify!! I do feel really good with keeping that extra weight off. Sometimes I forget how far I have come b/c I get frustrated when I'm stuck (like now) in losing more, but thanks for reminding me I've the progress I've made!!
Oh, Janie. What is it with you and me and sugar lately?! I'm in the same boat ever since my bday 2 weeks ago...looking for, craving, and eating sugar! Don't worry, you'll take the weight back off and sometimes eating more for a week shocks your body to start losing again!!

Sherata: awesome job on the 7.5er!! I bow to your perseverance and determination! You go girl!!
Have you tried cycling your calories? 1500 for 2-3 days, then 1800 for one day and so on. I'm worried you may bonk your energy eating low like I did when working out hard. that led me to not exercising for months and gaining weight back! You can even do one day a week at maintenance level of calories to let your body rest and think it is not starving. It's a fine tuning that even I am still figuring out!

Nicole: I am loving STS so much more than I ever thought I would!! I actualy bought it on presale like in 2009, tried to start it a few times and quit only after 2-3 weeks. I guess I was finally ready to take on the challenge!! lol. I have never lifted so heavy before and have realized that is what has been missing in my exercise routine! Being 41, I need to build muscle mass and this is definitely helping with that!
I understand about the mindless eating as I have been guilty of it for years! don't worry about a lil slip up here and there just get back on track. I've also slipped somewhat this past week d/t the increased stress and decisions I have facing me.

Lisa: welcome aboard!! Good luck with your new health plan! I've never tried wheat-free, but I believe I have tried every other way of eating out there!! lol.

Deb: Hi and welcome :) When you are eating horrible, that is all the more reason why you need to check in here....we can give you encouragement and support!! I have done not so great eating myself as stress has been enormous for me. I am an emotional eater which I have curtailed for the most part, but sometimes slip back into bad habits. You are very normal and just like the rest of us so please don't beat yourself up!! Forgive yourself and get back on track as soon as you can!

Missyt: Congrats on the great job!! You have come a long way!! Maybe now just focus on losing inches and decreasing body fat, not so much what the scale says. I'm ready to throw my scale away! I've plateaud for the last month, but my measurements are decreasing and my clothes are fitting better! I've tracked my inches for the last couple of years, and I am actually smaller now than I was last at this weight. So, I'm 5# heavier, but have smaller measurements! I'll take that!

Toni: Welcome! Great job on your weight loss. the best way to figure out maintenance is to change just one thing at a time, either your amt of exercise or your calories. Since we love working out to Cathe, I assume you will want to change your calories ;) Start by adding 100 Calories for one week and monitor your weight/measurements and keep adding 100 calories until you start to creep up. Then just drop back to the week before and you should be good to go! Im like you, I need at least 1800 cals/day when doing cathe and frequently eat 2000. I'm worried 1500 may be too low for Shereta with all of her running.
I will be starting Meso 3 next week of STS. I'm also on another thread focused on STS, maybe you wrote on it one time? It's "STS Deal of the Day". come on over if you need any help/advice, there is a great group of us supporting one another.

Melanie: Ooh, another current STSer!! Wasn't it a great feeling to get thru Meso 1? You are going to love Meso 2 and see strength gains!! I start Meso 3 next week and I can't wait!!

Sorry this was so long, but I didn't want to leave anybody out! I need to check in more often to keep up! LOL
Keep up the great work everyone!! and let's try to forgive ourselves for any indescretions and just focus on moving forward. Love yourselves and your body will love you back by responding!!

Gina :)

Hey, Gina. You mentioned me considering cycling my calories. Well, I try to listen to my body and that's what's happening. I am vowing to actually listen to my body and not my cravings. :) If it's wanting more food like on days when I burn a lot of calories, i give it good food. On days when I don't workout, I'll keep it low. That's the plan anyway.

I'm a creature of habit. I say this because I went for a cholesterol test today and I was suppose to fast and then could eat after the blood test. Which I did. Been dizzy ever since. I tried to do MMA:F but couldn't keep up so while I watched Cathe and crew I spinned. Still got a terrific workout, but man talk about weak and dizzy from not eating? Geesh!

All in all it was a good day.:)

Janie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.