Weight lost in a month by running

The amount of weight you'd lose is really hard to predict. Diet is a big part of the equation. I know you said clean diet, but that doesn't really specify calories which are what counts. So, if you're eating a very low calorie diet, you could lose a lot (fat and muscle). If you're eating clean, but normal amounts of calories, you could lose less. And, you see the pattern here, if you increase your calories even though your food choices are good, you might not lose any.
It also matters where your fitness level is today. Is running for an hour and a half 3 days a week a normal thing for you, or totally new? If it's totally new to your body, it will affect you a lot more. And you might get hurt.
The recommended amount to lose in a month for women is about 8 lbs to avoid serious muscle loss, but I don't think someone can predict how much you would lose with this plan. What you weigh currently also matters. If you weigh 100lbs, 8 lbs is a ton to lose. If you weigh 190 lbs, it's not so much.
And finally, for short term weight loss such as this, if you eat a low carbohydrate diet, you'll lose more water weight than if you eat a normal diet. Of course this will come back as soon as you incorporate more carbs, but for short term, you'll see a lower number on the scale with lower carbohydrates.

Ginger is so right as it is very hard to predict without knowing more. All I can say is when I was coming back from a running injury (I have run for about 27 yrs), I was running only 3 days a week. I cleaned up my diet going Vegan. I also was doing a P90X rotation that focused more on weight training than cardio. I lost 17 lbs in 6 weeks, and 4 more in the following 3 weeks. I feel cleaning eating is a very big factor...:)...Carole

I've never lost any weight from running. Or exercising in general. In normal circumstance, I workout anywhere from 60-90min per day. I don't eat junk food, don't like sweetened drinks, etc. Even when I think I'm eating clean (no processed foods, low fat, no meats, cookies and other bad stuff) I can't shake the weight.

Dutchie

I put on weight when I switched to running. I got hungry more and ate more. Then because it was just amazing for me to see how far I could go, I wanted to be strong enough to keep at it. So I would eat enough so that I wouldn't feel weak or hypoglycemic when it was time to run. Then I started to ignore the strength training too. Started to get more interested in Power Yoga along with it.
Anyway, this year I started to balance things more. Added Spinning and immediately started to see the difference. Trying to add more weights back now. But no, did not lose any weight with running...but went from dying with 2 minute runs to being able to run a 10K. I would like to do a Half Mary eventually.

Hi FitnessQueen,

I used to consider myself a "runner" - lol- I guess once you are, you always are. I have run for different goals - 2 - 3 times a week for cardio as well as 3 - 5 times a week to train for a 10K or half marathon and even one marathon. The results I saw in my body were tremendously different.

When running for cardio, I ran after lifting weights, and I noticed I burned a lot of calories, slimmed my hips a bit, and lost weight overall. I think this is why Cathe only recommends 20-30 minute runs a couple of times a week in her rotations. I want to get better at using this approach for weight loss and toning.

When I was training for an event, I ran first in a workout, and my runs took priority. As a result, my weight training suffered - either due to lack of time or because my legs for too fatigued to lift. Like someone else mentioned, I grew hungrier, and ate more to have energy for my runs. I did not lose much weight with this training. My legs were strong, but not as shapely. So even though I felt strong endurance wise - I did not feel I looked my best or was toned. That is why you see a lot of out-of-shape looking runners on the road! Diet is so critical to weight loss, and especially fat loss, in eitehr training scenario.

Thankyou Carole. Do you think if I run for 3 days a week for 30 minutes I will lose weight alone by just doing that or do you think I should strength train in between? Thanks.:)

Thanks Dutchie for replying. So if exercise isn't working for you then what are you doing now? Are you just sticking with Cathe tapes or are you mixing things up?

Thankyou Bernajo for sharing your experience with me. How much weight did you lose when you were training to lift weights before you would run? :)

At the time I started, I weighed about 130 - 132. I'm about 5'5" with a very small frame, so it didn't look good or feel good on me at all. I starte dworking out with a trainer with intense weight training (similar to our gym style workout DVDs) followed by 20-30 minute jogs. I lost 15 pounds over about a 4 month period. I remember this because I started at Labor Day and by Thanksgiving my Grandmother was trying to serve me seconds to "put meat on my bones". She thinks we should have "rolls" instead of nice defined abs! I thought I looked great!!
:)

Oh, diet-wise, I was following my own reendition of Weight Watchers Points and I gave myself one "sanity" day to eat whatever I wanted and I didn't count the points.

fitness queen....I defintely think you should add weight training to the running. For strengthing the muscles and injury prevention...:)...Carole

As she said it is hard to say, a combination of jogging, weight training and clean eating all a part of it... but I would say in my case the beginning of Jan I started back on my eating and workout routine I was at 113 by the first of Feb I was at 105 now at 103, but not trying to lose any more weight just trying to tighten ABS and TUSH now.............. Rhonda:7

OH and by the way I am a shorty 5'2".... and very petite

Well, I'm not overweight, 5'5 and 125-127 pounds. I would like to go down to about 115 pounds just so my muscles start showing ;-)

I promised myself a visit with a sports nutrionist to see what's wrong. Maybe I eat healthy stuff but need more of a certain food group, or maybe I eat too much. I've been keeping a food diary and what strikes me is that I eat because it's time to eat, not becacuse I'm hungry. Not even after a 10-miler (burns approx. 1100 cals). Maybe that's my problem? I just don't know. I tend to have 6 small meals at 08-10-12-14-16-18 hrs and nothing after dinner.

Dutchie

Before any other form of exercise I am a runner first. Nothing replaces being outside with friends going for a long 10 to 12 mile run on Saturday mornings.

But when I added Cathe's workouts during the week I was amazed at the changes in my body and my running times.

In addition to the variation in my exercise I cleaned up my diet by going to weight watchers and using their core plan. I had been wanting to lose 10 pounds but at 45 years old it just didn't come off like it used to.

Seems like the clean diet and the workout variation is doing the trick. After 5 weeks I'm down 6.5 lbs. It's come off painlessly without feeling hungry all the time. Plus it's been slow and gradual so I know it's maintainable.

So, my advice is to do Cathe's workouts along with running and make sure you burn more calories than you take in to lose weight.

I run 2-3 days a week, 45-55 minutes, on my yoga/stretch max days, in the pm, for the past 2 months. Without doing much more, I lost 5 pounds, another 3 by doubling my veggies and halving my carbs, still feeling full, but on veggies, although it is not always easy "gagging" that down when you really want ice cream! I have since put back on 3 pounds, but in muscle from doing my own heavy program while waiting for Hardcore (living 9000 miles from NJ on a wee island in the far western pacific, it just arrived last Friday).
The trouble with the extra running is that I can barely do any heavy leg days. During yoga my hamstrings and spine are whining!

Do you read Runner's World? The March issue addresses this question. By simply running you won't get results, you must mix it up a bit, for example add in some speed work. Yesterday for example, I ran an easy mile at 6mph then I ran the next half mile at 6.5 mph, and the next half mile at 7mph. My next mile was a recovery mile ran at 6mph. Hill running is also good, and even Runner's World recomends cross training. You know what I use for my CX days :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.