weekly binges

kariev

Cathlete
hi ladies. i'm having a hard time controling weekly binges. i'm really good with my diet all week and then i say i want to have a cheat meal and then that cheat meal turns into an all out binge! i had one today and i have consumed probably 2500cals already. i have 10lbs to lose and they don't seem to budge and i know its b/c of these binges. not to mention, to make up for them i run myself into the ground to compensate so i don't gain more weight. any tips you can share would be great. i'm sick of not having balance when it comes to food. i'm 27, 5'3 and weight 125. there was a time i weighed 115 and would like to get back there. i eat 1500 cals each day normally.

Generally speaking I binge when I have a cheat meal because I'm introducing trigger foods like chips or sweets. I've found the best thing to do is to reduce my intake of processed foods, and limit any simple sugars or dessert type meals that are high sugar/high fat. If I stay away from chips, full fat ice cream, fatty sweet desserts, etc... I tend to fall of the wagon a LOT less. So, my recommendation is stop having a cheat meal! I know that sounds extreme, but it is a trigger to a behavior that is getting in the way of your progress.

Instead find healthy alternatives for the cheats.... so instead of cinnamon rolls, consider a cooked grain like bulgur topped with chopped apples, a tbsp of currants, 1 tbsp of maple syrup and 1/4 cup lowfat vanilla soy milk... or sliced strawberries lightly sweetened with splenda or stevia... or blueberries with a splash of milk... or 1/2 a sliced mango, etc... just come up with better alternatives than what is triggering you.

If it is chips that get you, I've substituted carrots. They are crunchy and work for me. ;)

This is a lifestyle, not a diet, right?

I hear you!

I do suggest the inside out weight loss podcast for those with binge issues. It is free. And has helped me. Hugs!

hi ladies. thanks for all the replies. unfortunaely if the food wasn't in the house i would either go out and buy it or just binge on healthy foods. i'm struggling today. i have a food hangover but i want to keep eating today. i'm so tired of thinking about food ALL OF THE TIME. i just want to be normal agin. this binge eating started about 4 years ago when i was introduced to the body for life free day. since the moment i started that program, i have overrestricted during the week and then i binge out one day. the thing is i know its a mental mindset and i'm telling myself i deserve to binge on food.

rapidbreath: what is the inside out weightloss podcast and where do i find it?

kariev-I googled Inside Out Weight Loss and went to the site. There is a spot to click to subscribe thru iTunes, which I did. It opened iTunes and verified that I wanted to subscripe and it downloaded the first episode. I listened to it on my walk to and from work/school just now and enjoyed it. Made me think about a few things that I've REALLY been struggling with over the last 6 months or so. PM me if you'd like to chat privately. I'm dealing with some big eating issues myself and am trying to get some control again. YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

Gayle

Body For Life

Regarding those weekly binges: I don't know if you're familiar with Bill Phillips' "Body for Life," but his workout/eating plan allow one cheat day a week.

Personally, I can't give myself cheat days because they'd turn into cheat weeks (or months), but for people who can manage to stop at one day, it is allowed on his program.

You can get more info at www.bfl.com. Good luck with your eating challenges! :D

iTunes

its free. If you have an iTunes account just download the podcast or go to the website http://personallifemedia.com/podcasts and scroll down to "Inside Out Weight Loss" click on "listen now" and a media player will open up and you can listen that way or subscribe. Also check it out on spark (we have a team on there.) or the yahoo group.

I like shifting my focus not so much away from what food is so strong over me but towards what foods I must get in my diet to accomplish what I want to do.

It is a very powerful tool, learning to be the computer programmer on our selves. Developing a take it or leave it attitude about food is a form of freedom that all of us deserve to have.

Rapidbreath-I have to thank you for first suggesting the Inside Out Weight Loss poscast. I've listened to it twice this week and got somethig different from it both times. Yesterday, the tidbit that hit me was that I'd rather get the satisfaction and company I need from a PERSON (specifically, my SO) rather than from food. The tidbit I got today was that we CAN set our INTENT and make it happen. No matter the situation.

So thanks.

And I'm going to check out the website and blog now!

Gayle

You are definitely not alone! I fell into the cheat day trap as well. I was so strict during the week. When the cheat day finally arrived i ended up bingeing on anything and everything that was not good for me. I would feel terrible about myself after.

What i have found is working for me is eating pretty clean during the week but allowing myself to indulge in a treat during these days if i really want it. Once the treat is used up that's it. It's been used for that day and if i want something else i just tell myself that i already used up my allowance for that day but tomorrow is another day and i can have another treat then. I trying to excercise moderation.

As far as the "cheat day", that is Saturday. Rather then giving myself permission to go crazy and eat everything i resisted during the week, i allow myself one meal to indulge in something (like fast food) and i plan it in advance so i don't get carried away. Once the cheat meal is used up, I eat healthy the rest of the day. Instead of a cheat meal i sometimes opt to indulge in chips & dip or something like that. Same thing though, i don't let it become an all day thing. Once i've indulged i get back on track for the rest of the day. Planning in advance and sticking with the plan really helps keep the cheat meals/treats in check for me.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.