Wedding Plans

jessicarobin

Well I'm getting married this summer and I need help planning it. Can ya'll give me any ideas? Thanks!!!!!!

Child of God,
Robin

Hi Robin!

Here's a link to a thread from last month in case you didn't see it. CONGRATULATIONS! How exciting! I've been married for almost 32 happy years so I think there are others to give you more up-to-date info. Have FUN planning.

http://69.0.137.118/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=68703&mode=full

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Oh, please. Don't get me started! I got married 2 years ago and will have lots to say on the topic when I get home tonight. Congratulations!!

LMAO!! I am not a real good wedding planner but some hillarious wedding story that happened to me, My mom is very domineering and she had to have everything HER way, I wanted this man that lived just a few houses down that makes wedding cakes, (he Made Marie Osmonds wedding cake) don't know if you have heard of her. anyway my mom said no and had another lady do it, we also had the ceramony in our house!! on her orders LOL anyway during the vows, the cake top fell on the floor and the doorbell rings! and I had a case of the giggles LMAO!!!!! it was a site to see!!!
Good luck with your wedding!! hope my story makes you laugh a little!! and congratulations!!!!

CONGRATS!! YIPPEE!!

First and foremost - this is the best advice I got (and used) at my wedding: Take a moment and let it sink in. Just stop and literally feel what is happening. It goes by so quickly, so just STOP for a moment and take it all in. Also, someone is going to be mad at you for something about your wedding - who you are/are not inviting, what you are having to eat,who is sitting where, where it is, your vows, your dress...something. You must remember that this you and your husband's day!!!!! So, if you just accept that someone will be upset at you, it will be a lot easier to handle.

ON a more basic note, music is the key. Get a good band or something. Also, try to get a videographer along with you photographer. It is so great to watch your wedding because you don't really get to see what happens. (You are in another "zone" during the wedding). It is fun to see everyone there and what they were doing and how your ceremony went.

Ok, enough from me. ENJOY THE PROCESS!!!

Keep us posted.

jenni

Best things I did for my wedding:

1. Had the ceremony and the reception at the same place. I wanted my guests to park once, then relax and enjoy. No driving around, no car processions, no fuss. Also, there was only one place to deal with, and they thought of EVERYTHING so I didn't have to! They made everything so easy! They recommended a florist, DJ, photographer and even the rabbi! It was the BEST decision.

2. Kept costs down by: choosing a lovely little inn that was off the beaten path, and having an afternoon wedding instead of evening. The place had just enough rooms for my whole immediate family to stay overnight. The night before the wedding turned out to be more fun than the wedding itself! We wouldn't have done that for an evening wedding.

3. Kids in the wedding party are more fun than a barrel of monkeys. Our whole wedding party was made up of nieces and nephews, and every kid was included. It was a brilliant idea.

4. We had a table with keepsakes from our parents and grandparents weddings that everyone commented on, including photos and old wedding invitations and scrapbooks. It gave our wedding a sense of history and continuity of family. I highly recommend this!

5. Fabulous food: no boring wedding food. The inn we chose was also a fabulous restaurant, with great chefs and a superb wine list. This was very important to me.

6. Another good idea is to save money on a wedding dress. I found a lovely Jessica McClintock for under $300. I just could not bear the thought of wasting money on a dress I would never wear again, but you may feel differently.

I guess the bottom line is to pick and choose those things that are important to you, and those things you didn't care about and spend accordingly. I was willing to spend more for great food, but didn't care about the dress. Some people may feel the opposite. You have to follow your own heart.

Hope this gives you some ideas!

I'm getting married on May 1st in the Bahamas and I got a Jessica McClintock dress too...for 204 dollars...perfect because we wanted simple but elegant. They have besutiful dresses and you don't have to spend a ton of cash. I picked this designer for my wedding gown because EVERY prom dress I ever got was by her.

Good Luck!!!

Hi! I'm getting married on Oct 16th!!

The best place I have found by far for wedding planning is
http://www.theknot.com

Here are the local boards:

http://www.theknot.com/co_cities.shtml

Go to the chat/message boards and then go to Local boards and choose your city. You can also check out other people's bio's and ask all kinds of questions. Other brides that are planning weddings swap all kinds of great ideas! I have my entire wedding all completly planned out already. I have booked almost everything thanks to the lovely ladies on the knot! :)

You can also create My Knot and plan out your entire budget.

Have fun!

Robin,

Ditto to what Jenni said. It's more difficult to do than it sounds, but try to always do what you and your fiance want to do for your wedding becuase it is your day and nobody else's. Of course, it's nice to have your family and friends there to celebrate with you, but IT IS YOUR DAY!!

One thing that I found very helpful is having a place that is very accommodating to you, thinks of things for you (after all they do this all the time and you are a novice!), and makes suggestions to help you in the process. It is important to feel comfortable with the organizer at the place you choose for your wedding/reception (mine were at the same place--a country inn).

Also, do not be afraid to ask others for help. For example, my sister prepared my wedding programs for me. It saved me a lot of time and much sanity (it has to be done toward the end when things get crazy).

I had a string quartet play for my ceremony and cocktail hour--they were the hit of the party. My band, on the other hand, was not so good--they did not have the schedule down right to keep the reception moving along. I recommend getting a band or DJ that does tons of weddings (my band was a group of professionals playing on the side).

Enjoy! Let me know if I can be of further help.

Sarah-
Aren't the Jessica McClintok dresses lovely? And the prices are fabulous! Lots of luck with your wedding!

Congratulations! I'm getting married on May 15th. I've been using ultimatewedding.com for most of my planning help and asking other brides to be. The Knot is not that great and there are some really immature people over there talking trash about one another.

Beth

>Congratulations! I'm getting married on May 15th. I've been
>using ultimatewedding.com for most of my planning help and
>asking other brides to be. The Knot is not that great and
>there are some really immature people over there talking trash
>about one another.
>
>Beth

The local boards on the knot are great. I wouldn't go to any of the main boards because of the trolls, but the local boards are excellent....try them out. :)

I love all the Chicago knotties!!! :)

>6. Another good idea is to save money on a wedding dress. I
>found a lovely Jessica McClintock for under $300. I just could
>not bear the thought of wasting money on a dress I would never
>wear again, but you may feel differently.

I couldn't agree more. Another suggestion is Davids Bridal. I got my dress for $200 and it couldn't have been more beautiful, 5 years later I still admire it in my wedding pics. They do many knockoffs of designer styles, lots to choose from. I too, liked the Jessica dresses as well.

I had a location wedding (Hawaii), and the resort had a wedding planner gratis. Everything was planned via internet and phone call and was like a dream. It made things so easy and I was not a stressed out bride.

Best of luck!
Kim

Congratulations!!!

Ditto to what the others said about the dresses. I found mine for about $400 at Bridesmart but I also looked at David's Bridal. Both have a ton of dresses for very decent prices.

For your bridesmaids (if you have them) I suggest going to a department store to find their dresses - I'm not sure where you are located but we found ours at Marshall Field's. The dresses were dark purple, flowy, knee length, sleeveless with these elegant scarf things they tied around their necks - it was a pretty popular design, by alyn Paige. like $60 bucks each! and I told them to pick our their own shoes (silver). The wedding I was in this past August, the bride found the dresses at Marshall Fields as well. Sometimes you can find something that is a little more practical, but equally as nice.

Disposable cameras on the tables are nice - makes for a lot of extra pictures that you don't have to pay the photographer for! (it does get expensive developing them but you can get a quantity discount at www.snapfish.com!)

Bubbles are cool for afterwards. I went to one where they had butterflys - I totally disagreed from a animal rights position...also, the one we got was DEAD. Not very nice.

If you've got vegetarian and/or vegan guests, you might consider having something suitable for them to eat! Being a vegan, I go to weddings expecting not to be able to eat anything - unless the bride had told me beforehand she's got something special for me. I never ask for 'special treatment' because I know how crazy it is to plan a wedding - so I am always pleasantly surprised and grateful when a vegan meal is available!!

have fun!!!!

Congratulations! I am shooting for a late summer or fall wedding. We're still in the process of looking for a location, but I agree with Nancy about finding one location for both ceremony and reception. Less hassle, more fun!

For those who purchased a Jessica McClintock wedding gown, did you go to a bridal gown shop? I haven't started dress shopping yet, so I'm looking for advice. I'm also looking for simple, elegant, and inexpensive!

>
>For those who purchased a Jessica McClintock wedding gown, did
>you go to a bridal gown shop? I haven't started dress shopping
>yet, so I'm looking for advice. I'm also looking for simple,
>elegant, and inexpensive!

Congratulations on your wedding!! I went with a Jessica McClintock bride's maid's dress as my wedding dress. I bought it through a bridal shop and paid around $290, not including alterations, but they didn't cost much either.

Yes, Snowbee. I got my Jessica McClintock bridal gown at a bridal gown shop here in New York city. Don't remember the name, but it was the biggest place in town: a gown factory with lots of obnoxious sales people. It was pretty funny, but it worked. The gown was just lovely and the price was right. (I'll see if I can dig up a picture to post). I think any decent bridal gown shop will carry Jessica McClintock.

Editing to say, if you're petite and a size 8 or smaller and you want mine, it was only worn once! :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.