Water For Elephants

Read the book and loved it! I thought it was very eye opening just how much goes on that we do not even think about. (Not that I did not know about cruelty in circuses and aquariums.) Although this book was fiction, I am sure it is probably even less horrific than what circumstances really were.

This book sucks you in.

Rachel

I didn't read the book for the longest time because I had heard there was animal abuse in it. DH read it and loved it, so I ended up reading it. It was not as bad as I had feared, and I was able to finish the book. It's really good and sad at the same time. It actually had kind of a happy ending, so it's not all sad.

DixieGirl said:
Debbie, did you see the movie? I don't think I'll be reading the book since it depicts cruelty. But if the movie doesn't include that I may still watch it.

I'm the same about circuses and places like Sea World. I'll never forget a documentary I saw about how sad dolphins and whales are at marine parks having to be trapped in a pool when they were created to roam the seas. Same for elephants...

Hi DixieGirl...we may go see it tonight. I haven't had that much spare time lately so I've only read a couple dozen pages or so of the book. I'll let you know about the movie.

Stephanie0523 said:
I totally agree about circuses. I refuse to go or to take my boys to any circus that showcases animals. The book doesn't glorify animal cruelty in any way or use it as entertainment. After reading it, I still am resolved (probably more strongly than ever) to never go to a circus that showcases animals.

Stephanie, I'm glad to hear it doesn't promote animal cruelty. Glad you liked the book.

FourAM said:
Read the book and loved it! I thought it was very eye opening just how much goes on that we do not even think about. (Not that I did not know about cruelty in circuses and aquariums.) Although this book was fiction, I am sure it is probably even less horrific than what circumstances really were.

This book sucks you in.

Rachel

Thanks Rachel...I'm glad to hear you liked it.

jbliff said:
I didn't read the book for the longest time because I had heard there was animal abuse in it. DH read it and loved it, so I ended up reading it. It was not as bad as I had feared, and I was able to finish the book. It's really good and sad at the same time. It actually had kind of a happy ending, so it's not all sad.

I like happy endings! :)

I saw this movie last night and thought it was awesome! There are a few hard parts to get through but overall the movie is worth going to see. It does have a happy ending. :)

SPOILER!!! Don't read if you don't want to know! :)

We saw the movie and if anything, they absolutely discouraged animal cruelty. To the point, it was one of the major scenes in the movie what happens when a lead character abused the elephant. He def got pay back! I'm only about 1/4 thru the book and haven't experienced the SAD parts yet!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.