Water For Elephants

DebbieH

Cathlete
Water For Elephants...has anyone read it? The reviews on the book are outstanding, saying it's a wonderful love story, best book they've ever read and how well the author (Sara Gruen) describes everything. Anyway, I did a search for the book in diff book stores for my iPad and they ranged anywhere from $15.00 all the way down to $4.17! I found it at the Kindle store for $4.17 in case anyone is interested. Now, if I could only find time to read! :p Off to do STS Legs and maybe, just maybe, I'll find some time this afternoon before we head to church!

Last edited:
Hi,

I read it, sad and good at the same time. Makes you never want to go to a circus, that's for sure. :(

Definitely one of my favorites. It is a little sad, a bit dark. The author is really gifted in the art of description. She writes from the perspective of a man, and I kept looking at the cover to double-check that a woman had written it :) Her descriptions of the elephant in the story are particularly detailed, and the setting is really intriguing. Wonderful!

I read it and it is a good book. But if I could go back in time, I would skip it. Too sad for me. I will definitely not be seeing the movie. I am not a girl who enjoys a "good" cry. I know some people do, but not me. I second that about not going to the circus. I'm sure things are way better now than back then, but even still.

Kimberly

I've been looking forward to this movie...I didn't know it is based on a book. Is it sad b/c they abuse the elephant? :(

I am totally not into animal abuse of course! Hmmmm, maybe I should have posted before buying the book. I have been wanting to go see the movie too.

I had a very hard time finishing this book; it was very sad and the constant animal and human cruelty made it very hard to keep reading. (oddly, I found the animal cruelty much harder to deal with-don't know what that says about me!??!)
I think the movie will tone all that down A LOT. I am interested in hearing from someone who has seen it. (right now, not planning to see the movie)

Unfortunately, abuse in the circus is NOT a thing of the past. I refuse to go. It's simply evil - making wild animals do tricks for the amusement of simple humans is never entertainment! Haven't read the book and no plan to see the movie.

After I watched a show on elephants (how they remember things and how emotional they are), I will never go to to another circus.

I didn't like this book at all. I didn't like the story, the writing, or the setting. Guess it just wasn't my genre. But I am always shocked at some books that get so much press. I'm so picky.

Golly, I just thought it was a love story! Started reading the book late last night. I think we will go see the movie...will keep you all posted.

I read it and I didn't know if I would like it at first, but it sucked me into it and I wound up really liking it. It's very well written.

Unfortunately, abuse in the circus is NOT a thing of the past. I refuse to go. It's simply evil - making wild animals do tricks for the amusement of simple humans is never entertainment! Haven't read the book and no plan to see the movie.

I totally agree about circuses. I refuse to go or to take my boys to any circus that showcases animals. The book doesn't glorify animal cruelty in any way or use it as entertainment. After reading it, I still am resolved (probably more strongly than ever) to never go to a circus that showcases animals.

Debbie, did you see the movie? I don't think I'll be reading the book since it depicts cruelty. But if the movie doesn't include that I may still watch it.

I'm the same about circuses and places like Sea World. I'll never forget a documentary I saw about how sad dolphins and whales are at marine parks having to be trapped in a pool when they were created to roam the seas. Same for elephants...

Read the book and loved it! I thought it was very eye opening just how much goes on that we do not even think about. (Not that I did not know about cruelty in circuses and aquariums.) Although this book was fiction, I am sure it is probably even less horrific than what circumstances really were.

This book sucks you in.

Rachel

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.