Warm-Up

xiangnimen

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

Recently I've started doing ab work at the beginning of my work-out, kind of like as my warm-up. When I'm done with my ab work I already have a pretty good sweat going and was wondering if that could just be used as a "warm-up" or if I should still add in the official warm up after ab work。 Or if I shouldn't even be going straight into ab work in the first place and should warm-up before abs...... sorry for the wordy question, but I'm very interested in your thoughts. Thank you! [emoji4]

I'm very happy that you asked this question as I am finding that when I am done any workout, but particularly any metabolic or circuit workout, I am just too exhausted to concentrate on form and rib stability etc. to do many sets at all of ab & core work. Plus the quality of the movements suffer. So, I try to fit in ab routines on days when I do not have anything else cued up.

This is an interesting question. Hope Cathe replies to this. I do add a different abs session because feel not working out efficiently due to fatigue at the end of a cardio session for example.
That being said the content of a warm up is structured according to the muscle group you will mainly work during your training session. So if you work your abs and feel a sweat and go straight to a lifting session for legs, your legs muscles are not warm. We all need to mobilise our joints too.
I would still warm up before abs:):):)

Last edited:
I always work abs first, and depending on the type of ab work, I bet you could use it as a warm-up. I'm thinking of standing ab work where you get a lot of range of motion with the dumbbell. Seems like that might suffice for an upper body workout. I usually do do a warm-up after ab work so I really don't know the answer to your question. I'm always fatigued by the end of my routine, so I feel like abs first is a good solution for me!

I always work abs first, and depending on the type of ab work, I bet you could use it as a warm-up. I'm thinking of standing ab work where you get a lot of range of motion with the dumbbell. Seems like that might suffice for an upper body workout. I usually do do a warm-up after ab work so I really don't know the answer to your question. I'm always fatigued by the end of my routine, so I feel like abs first is a good solution for me!

I am loving abs first, it's making me do them way more than when I would try to do them at the end of a workout, which is a good thing. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, I think doing ABS first is a sure way to make sure you get your AB work done. I have definitely had those days.[emoji1][emoji1]

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I've never thought of doing ab work first but now that I think about it I would prefer not to (whether as a warm-up or otherwise). Your core is so important that it seems if you exhaust it right away your form may suffer for the rest of your workout. I have no science based background but it just seems logical to me. I don't mind it in intervals throughout the workout that way doesn't seem to exhaust that group of muscles but at least keep them working.
I am with Nathalie suggesting that more than your abs need to be warmed up. I would think you'd want good blood flow throughout your body because even if your targeting say your chest and back the rest of your body still will be, on some level, supporting what you do. Then again, with all that's been said, you do what works for you because we all function differently and have different strengths, weaknesses and preferences.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.