Vent: hey celebs, quit mocking marriage!

jcm

Cathlete
My girlfriend got me thinking about this and now I'm annoyed too. I am NOT a celebrity fan (unless Cathe counts!). But I do know enough that Kim Kardashian has filed for a divorce after 10 weeks, and said before her marriage wasn't "ideal." Well, my DH and I just celebrated year 16 - I'm sure many of you can pass us! But we've been through: alcohol abuse, infidelity, a year of unemployment (and I stay home), 3 kids, and 5+ years living apart because of a job/poor housing sales. Please know I am NOT condemning those who are divorced: my parents were. But my friend is right. To give it 10 weeks, make the flippant comment it's not ideal, and go is just too much for some of us. Don't talk to me about "ideal." I don't know if it was a money scheme or what. I don't even know what in the heck that woman does to deserve celebrity.

Okay ... had to vent. Now I have to go put my 3 kids to bed ... by myself. Because my DH lives 5 hours away because he has to work and we can't afford to move. It's not really ideal.

AMEN Sista!

You took the words right out of my head!

And congratulations to you and your husband for hanging in there like you have for 16 years. I found your story very inspiring. You have a lot to be proud of!

JCM, good for you and your DH for making it through many tough years.

Personally, I don't like the Kardashians (not any of them), I don't watch their show, DWTS, won't buy their clothes, didnt watch the wedding and can't stand all the air time they get. Maybe, I'm missing something here. From what I heard from GMA and numerous other shows, this is Kim's second marraige, the first one didn't last long either. It is a mockery. Plus, I heard he found out from TMZ. Great time to limit TV and to workout.

Juice - thanks, but I'm sure many others have my story beat! And believe me: I've through about being done more than once!

And JT - the only "reality" t.v. I watch is maybe HGTV. It's insulting to my intelligence! WHY are these people famous?? I'm waiting for my own reality show. It involves loading and unloading the dishwasher, washing and putting away laundry, Cathe and running, packing lunches, homework ... I see millions. You're all dying to watch!!

I don't understand this obsession with the Kardashians. I can't stand them. Why would you want your courtship and wedding on television? I personally think she did it just to have a wedding - not a marriage.

Several of the ladies I work with love The Bachelor and The Bachelorette. I think it trivializes marriage.

I applaud all of you Cathe fans who are married and making it work through the good times and bad times. I tried and failed.

It was for the money and publicity. She didn't pay anything for the wedding, everything was given to her. I used to like them when they weren't so popular but now you can't get away from that family.

Enough is enough already, all of those girls are marrying for the money and their mom doesn't know when to stop.

I'm just tired of them all, I don't watch any of thier shows and definitely did not watch the wedding.

It seems to me that it is just one more wealthy, spoiled woman who wants to be the god of her world, and when someone doesn't bow to her or when the goin' gets tough, she gets going. I have had it too. It would be so refreshing if someone would just hang in there with hardship and all like you have, jcm. Ten weeks is just ridiculous.

On a kinder note, I feel sorry for her, because she will NEVER be happy and that is very sad, because she has everything the world has to offer and it still does not satisfy.

Now: I also realize that not all divorce is like this we are discussing and can be very painful. I have known people who really have been married to dirty dogs and they gave it their best shot because they held marriage in high esteem. So I am not condemning those who divorce...

but this situation is absurd.

I don't watch their show either and never,ever have and never, ever will! (We don't even have cable.)

You know Tracy, I'm with you. I feel sorry for her.

She obviously doesn't even understand what marriage is supposed to be. Her values and her perceptions are so screwed up, that she has zero chance of ever being happy in any situation.

I don't think she (or most other celebrities) has any effect on my definition of marriage or what I think about marriage. Their situations are so far removed from what most people experience, that I don't even consider the way they behave a mockery of what's normal. It's a completely different animal.

We all have our deal breakers. Maybe she found out he was gay? I'm not saying he IS gay. The point is we don't know what really happened. Truth is stranger than fiction.

I think a bigger problem is not that her marriage lasted 72 days. It's that she felt the need to include the public in her courtship, engagement, marriage and now divorce. It's kind of sad. Like the PP, I feel sorry for her.

I don't feel sorry for her at all! This was all for publicity and another payday, it smelled of that from the start.

I think they know they are running out of tricks, so made the stunt a bit bigger this time.

Honestly though, I think we just watched Kim and the family finally "jump the shark".

My girlfriend got me thinking about this and now I'm annoyed too. I am NOT a celebrity fan (unless Cathe counts!). But I do know enough that Kim Kardashian has filed for a divorce after 10 weeks, and said before her marriage wasn't "ideal." Well, my DH and I just celebrated year 16 - I'm sure many of you can pass us! But we've been through: alcohol abuse, infidelity, a year of unemployment (and I stay home), 3 kids, and 5+ years living apart because of a job/poor housing sales. Please know I am NOT condemning those who are divorced: my parents were. But my friend is right. To give it 10 weeks, make the flippant comment it's not ideal, and go is just too much for some of us. Don't talk to me about "ideal." I don't know if it was a money scheme or what. I don't even know what in the heck that woman does to deserve celebrity.

Okay ... had to vent. Now I have to go put my 3 kids to bed ... by myself. Because my DH lives 5 hours away because he has to work and we can't afford to move. It's not really ideal.

Isn't she famous because her dad was in the mob or something?

I really can't wait till we live in a world that no longer cares what the Kardashians do. :rolleyes:

Jennie, she is famous because her dad was a defence lawyer for O.J. Simpson in his murder trial in the '90s, and also because she has a mindless reality TV show ... basically she is nobody. Just a very good self promoter.

Stebby

Jennie, she is famous because her dad was a defence lawyer for O.J. Simpson in his murder trial in the '90s, and also because she has a mindless reality TV show ... basically she is nobody. Just a very good self promoter.

Stebby

Oh. See, I had no clue why she is famous. I like that I didn't know. :D Means I really don't give a rats ass about her. :D

There are plenty of successful celebrity marriages, they just don't always make the news because the people involved in them have healthy egos and are not so arrogant, conceited self-obsessed and downright unpleasant as the kardashian family. They only thrive because the country has such a thirst for celebrity gossip and the hideous concept of reality TV.

Successful marriages might include Tom hanks and Rita whatshername, Jessica Lange and San Shepherd, Harrison Ford and Calista Flockhart, SJP and Mathew Broderick, etc.

Some people know that marriage is to be worked at and can go the distance because they are just like you and me.

The Kardashians aren't even worth any cyberspace on Cathe's site, really.

Clare

She's also famous for having the "par for the course" sex tape, and because she's friends with Paris Hilton (another rich twit). I agree with Dela - I don't have an ounce of sympathy for this ego-maniac. She was actually on some Australian show yesterday asking for people to respect her privacy! What?!?!? Now you want privacy? Please!!!!! This was all a publicity stunt and she just needs to go away and leave us alone! What I find sad are the numbers of people that follow this crap, buy her stuff and make her richer and even more self-absorbed. ugh

I don't know how people that make their money from a reality show have the audicity to ask for privacy! You can't have it both ways.

That being said, I think this family is made up of spoiled brats. I think Kim wants things to be her way and when they are not, they bail.

The other sisters think that they are entrepreneurs and that tehy have a strong work ethic! They have no idea!

OMG, Kris Jenner has been on EVERY talk show and getting sympathy like her daughter is the victim AND anything that is negative about the family, she brushes it off. I think my local news/talk show was the only one that mentioned the tape.
The one thing that Kim kept saying is the "fairy tale" ended, of course, it does after the wedding and the marraige begins.

I cannot stand their show, and I really can't stand The Bachelor or the Bachelorette....every time those shows come on, I want to get a shot gun and shoot the TV.

I just hope these folks don't procreate. We don't need their DNA in the gene pool.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.