Valentine's Day

dss62467

Cathlete
Last night my BF asked me if I was one of those women who cares about Valentine's Day. I just kind of sat there for a second and then said no. Didn't want to admit to him that I had been thinking about it...but not about whether or not he would get me something, or if I should get him something, but what I should get my DD. He hadn't even occurred to me!

I told him to get me a bottle of wine.

some years my dh and i dont do much for eachother, other times we get s'thing for eachother. when we do get gifts its nothing extravagant.

we have 3 dds and i always make a fun valentine-themed dinner & dessert. we've made heart-shaped homemade pizzas. my personal fave is heart-shaped meatloaf and we used food coloring to make our mashed potatoes pink!:D

Valentines day is also our anniversary. The best gift DH got me was on our 10th anniversary he shoveled off the pond for me to ice skate. He did get me actual gifts but the pond was the best & the one I will always remember. :D

I have to be honest here. I HATE HATE HATE Valentine's day. Always had. From the time those silly cards started in the 1st grade!! DH and I don't exchange and we kinda ignore the day all together. I always felt soooooo badly for people that got nothing or didn't have anyone special on that day!!

Sorry.
ellie

I agree, Valentine's Day is a lot of pressure!

Since it is on a Saturday this year (and my son will be with his Dad), I think I am going to dress all slutty for my husband and when he comes home from work, be fixing him steak and baked potato in my racy outfit and spiked heels:p

I have to be honest here. I HATE HATE HATE Valentine's day. Always had. From the time those silly cards started in the 1st grade!! DH and I don't exchange and we kinda ignore the day all together. I always felt soooooo badly for people that got nothing or didn't have anyone special on that day!!

Sorry.
ellie

I'm with you...it's dumb. The only thing dumber is Sweetest Day.

I been married almost 17 years and I know we don't make Valentines day a special day at all.

I just feel that if he got me flowers or whatever it would really only be because Valentine's day is recognised as the day to show the ones you love feel special. To me it's too hokey....he knows I would just giggle and roll my eyes. Really, he would do this if I said let's celebrate.

The greatest pleasure would be if he came home and surprised me with flowers or something on an unexpected day. To me that's more meaniful.

IMO - if Valentine's Day is important to you, you should let your significant other know. If it is not and and you really mean that, then he needs to know that as well.

So, if it is important, you need to let your SO know that. Otherwise, you may be setting yourself up for disappointment if you think he can just guess what you want.

I am learning, at this point and time of my life, that we need to be totally honest with our husbands, fiances, boyfriends in situations like these. If we are not honest, we are setting them up for failure and it is not fair to them.

So if you want flowers and chocolates for Valentine's Day, let your SO know in a SUBTLE;) way. If you want to be wined and dined, do the same. And if it is not important let him know that as well but be sure that he believes you. Too many women say it's not important when it actually is and that is what leads to disappointment.

Let's face it - all men need a little help or a little nudge in the right direction......

My BF and I are of the same mind when it comes to forced gift-giving (hate it - ugh! Who needs the pressure!). We usually cook (yes, he cooks! I'm so lucky!) a fabulous meal. Sometimes, we'll break out a special chocolate truffle or two from a local chocolatier we like. Or place a small bottle of massage oil in sight for the promise of a massage later. But nothing is really expected.

Hate the goofy cards.

For Valentine's Day, we usually make a feast and include the kids. This year it will be sea food crepes with wine/cheese sauce and a 6 layer chocolate cake a la Martha Stewart. Last year it was individual beef wellingtons and chocolate mousse in the shape of a heart. We decorate the table and let the kids drink martinelli's sparkling cider out of wine glasses. Dh and I don't do anything more than that--too much expense and pressure--but we do love cooking our feast together.

Maggie:)

DH and I have never celebrated Valentine's Day. I told him early on in our relationship that I wasn't into these "Hallmark Holidays" and would rather treat it like any other day. So we do. :)

DH and I celebrate but it's normally just with dinner out. We never do it ON V-day though as we prefer to avoid the crowds and the limited menus offered by many eating establishments.

That being said, we are going out ON Valentine's day this year. I bought him tix to a broadway show for Christmas and I picked V-day because even though we wouldn't normally celebrate on the day, I didn't think he'd make other plans either. I also made reservations for a nice dinner. At the time, the place did not know if they will have a limited menu or not but I will call soon to find out. If they do, I will cancel our reservations. Worse comes to worse perhaps we can go out to dinner the night before the show and skip dinner in NYC.

Something simple, but sweet, if you're cooking for your special one(s) on Valentine's Day is to cook whole beets (either oven roast or boil), and then cut them with heart-shaped cookie cutters. Serve them as is with a sprinkling of salt and pepper, or use them in a salad. Not only do they look pretty, but they're good for you, too!

Back when my husband was my boyfriend, on our first Valentine's Day I told him that I would appreciate an 'I"m thinking of you email.' over the flowers and candy junk any other day of the year. I feel that Valentine's day hoopla is just too forced. You guys should have seen the look on his face. LOL! I then told him that the same does not hold true for my birthday and Christmas. :)

We don't do much. DS bday is the 17th, our anniversary is the 27th, and there is also my dad's, his wife's, and DHs grandpas bday in Feb, so it can be an expensive month. Normally we do some kind of take out -from either a cheaper or more expensive place, depending on what we have a taste for, a bottle of wine, and a movie (or not ;)) at home, after DS has gone to bed. We also normally do a card and maybe a bit of chocolate or a small, under $10 gift, for each other. Personally, I'd rather have my tulips than roses, and on some random day that he is "supposed" to give them to me.

Nan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.