Upper 2. Dip bar mod

Cathlete
Well, I talked myself out of the dip bars and wanted to see if I could finangle my own with the turbo tower. I really don’t need or have room for other equipment. Anyhow, I have a window that has always been an annoying height from the floor. I used the open ledge as one side and the tower as the other. It did the trick. Please share if anyone has an alternate idea.

Attachments

• IMG_5445.jpeg
    IMG_5445.jpeg
    17.9 KB · Views: 14
I tried previously to rig up something using my FitTower because I wanted to see whether I even could do the dips like this or if I even wanted too, as I do like dips with
the tower or doing them on the step like Al…. I just couldn’t think of any way to do it,
nothing just the right height on the other side…so I gave up….when I have done the
dips so far, I did the step version & ok with that…..and as far as pull-ups/chin-ups,
so far I have only used the tubing version as I mostly do in STS 1, so for me, I think the
bars saga is over. :)

I tried previously to rig up something using my FitTower because I wanted to see whether I even could do the dips like this or if I even wanted too, as I do like dips with
the tower or doing them on the step like Al…. I just couldn’t think of any way to do it,
nothing just the right height on the other side…so I gave up….when I have done the
dips so far, I did the step version & ok with that…..and as far as pull-ups/chin-ups,
so far I have only used the tubing version as I mostly do in STS 1, so for me, I think the
I did UB#2 today. I kinda had FOMO about the dip bars, but after researching options to progress from bench dips to bars, I realize my shoulder issues will prevent me from progressing to being able to use bars (unless band-assisted) for quite awhile. So I lost my FOMO ... :rolleyes:. I do like seeing all the options & enjoy hearing/reading how much others like their bars.

I do like using a body bar across my squat rack to do the modified pull/chin-ups tho :). I also used it for the dips -- there was less stress on my wrists using the bar so I'll probably use that option. That padded bodybar comes in handy!

I agree, for me, doing the dips with the band, etc would be too much for my shoulders &
wrists as well. I enjoy them with the FitTower which I imagine is exactly what you are doing with the body bar. I have numerous body bars too :) (imagine that!). I do some YT
body bar workouts sometimes and have some of those Body Bar dvds from years ago.
I like the pull-ups/chin-ups with the tower, but that’s downstairs and it depends on where
I am working out as to what I use.

I agree, for me, doing the dips with the band, etc would be too much for my shoulders &
wrists as well. I enjoy them with the FitTower which I imagine is exactly what you are doing with the body bar. I have numerous body bars too :) (imagine that!). I do some YT
body bar workouts sometimes and have some of those Body Bar dvds from years ago.
I like the pull-ups/chin-ups with the tower, but that’s downstairs and it depends on where
I am working out as to what I use.
My bodybar came with a VHS workout- that's how old it is... lol...I think I may still have the VHS ...funny :p

I also "hang" from the bodybar placed high on the squat rack .... helps my shoulder impingement...

I only was able to do 4 and that was with the band under the knees.

I only was able to do 4 and that was with the band under the knees.

That's Great !! I don't think I would be able to do any.......even with the band ! LOL!

I guess I need that "security" of having my feet on the ground...to assist and to be able
to be able to adjust how much pressure I put on my wrists/shoulders.

When I used to go to the Wellness Center, they had the assisted pullup/chinup/dip machine
that you adjusted the assistance with by how many weight plates you chose.You went up
two steps to get a hold on the bar(s) and it had a bar for your feet that was controlled by the
weights you selected and once you stepped on that bar, you were ready to go!
I absolutely loved that machine, I did pullups, chinups, dips with no problem because I
could adjust the assistance as I needed. Of course, if you didn't need any assistance,
you could fold the feet bar in out of the way and do them completely bodyweight only.

Good stuff!

Last edited:
That's Great !! I don't think I would be able to do any.......even with the band ! LOL!

I guess I need that "security" of having my feet on the ground...to assist and to be able
to be able to adjust how much pressure I put on my wrists/shoulders.

When I used to go to the Wellness Center, they had the assisted pullup/chinup/dip machine
that you adjusted the assistance with by how many weight plates you chose.You went up
two steps to get a hold on the bar(s) and it had a bar for your feet that was controlled by the
weights you selected and once you stepped on that bar, you were ready to go!
I absolutely loved that machine, I did pullups, chinups, dips with no problem because I
could adjust the assistance as I needed. Of course, if you didn't need any assistance,
you could fold the feet bar in out of the way and do them completely bodyweight only.

Good stuff!
Now that you mentioned steps, I will put my 14” box there to stand on to get started, It was somewhat difficult getting on the band, I kind of looked like a trapeze artist

I think four is great! My son is disabled, and it took forever to teach him how to do a push-up on his knees. Once he learned, I started having him do 1 a day to transition from one of his physical therapy positions to the next. I was so proud of him that I told my dad about it. Dad said, "well, that's great, but one push-up a day isn't going to make a difference in his strength." I said, "Dad, that's 365 push-ups a year. How many do you do?" He admitted that 365 push-ups in a year could definitely make a difference, and it actually has. I have a pull-up bar and could only do one pull-up. It took me a year to get up to 3. When I went to the gym with my husband one time, I did my 3 pitiful pull-ups a little self-consciously, hoping nobody saw me. Well, one of the trainers walked by. He complimented me! I told him I could only do 3. He said that the only about 20% of men can do 1 full pull-up and that the percentage is even lower for women. Body weight exercises are tough. They are meant to strengthen you, so they are meant to be challenging. 4 is really really good! If you're having to work for each one, those 4 dips re doing for your body what they are supposed to do. It's the work we put into each exercise (rather than the number of reps) that makes the difference. I can't do a dip with bars. I haven't tried the assisted ones yet, because we're moving and I didn't want to take the bars out of the box. I have no idea how many I'll be able to do, but I would be pretty proud of myself if I could do 3 or 4. I'll be okay if I can do 2 - I have to start somewhere. I'll live with it and work from there if I can only do 1. If I can't do any with assist, I'll scream in frustration, but that's not going to happen, because I'm stubborn enough that I'll find a way to get at least one with assist. lol

I think four is great! My son is disabled, and it took forever to teach him how to do a push-up on his knees. Once he learned, I started having him do 1 a day to transition from one of his physical therapy positions to the next. I was so proud of him that I told my dad about it. Dad said, "well, that's great, but one push-up a day isn't going to make a difference in his strength." I said, "Dad, that's 365 push-ups a year. How many do you do?" He admitted that 365 push-ups in a year could definitely make a difference, and it actually has. I have a pull-up bar and could only do one pull-up. It took me a year to get up to 3. When I went to the gym with my husband one time, I did my 3 pitiful pull-ups a little self-consciously, hoping nobody saw me. Well, one of the trainers walked by. He complimented me! I told him I could only do 3. He said that the only about 20% of men can do 1 full pull-up and that the percentage is even lower for women. Body weight exercises are tough. They are meant to strengthen you, so they are meant to be challenging. 4 is really really good! If you're having to work for each one, those 4 dips re doing for your body what they are supposed to do. It's the work we put into each exercise (rather than the number of reps) that makes the difference. I can't do a dip with bars. I haven't tried the assisted ones yet, because we're moving and I didn't want to take the bars out of the box. I have no idea how many I'll be able to do, but I would be pretty proud of myself if I could do 3 or 4. I'll be okay if I can do 2 - I have to start somewhere. I'll live with it and work from there if I can only do 1. If I can't do any with assist, I'll scream in frustration, but that's not going to happen, because I'm stubborn enough that I'll find a way to get at least one with assist. lol
Thanks for sharing the story about your son and the push-ups. Makes the small progress each day with it in the end. I definitely can’t do 1 pull-up. I think three is super woman!

Well, I talked myself out of the dip bars and wanted to see if I could finangle my own with the turbo tower. I really don’t need or have room for other equipment. Anyhow, I have a window that has always been an annoying height from the floor. I used the open ledge as one side and the tower as the other. It did the trick. Please share if anyone has an alternate idea.
That’s creative.

I found the band really digs into my shins when I do the assisted dips. Solved it by wrapping it with faux fur seat belt cover that I received as a gag gift and never used. Works like a charm. I'm up to 7 dips! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.