tutorial videos

kesid

Cathe,

I find your step DVDs really interesting. However, I find them hard to follow, Is there a website or video tutorial that I can be directed to which will break down the steps that you use in your step DVDs.
Thank you

Welcome to the forum!

Obviously I'm not Cathe, but the avid steppers on this forum often recommend purchasing Cathe's earlier step workouts, where she breaks down the moves more. Hopefully one of them will chime in and give you the exact titles. You'll find lots of helpful information from the other Cathletes here. :)

Hello there,

Not Cathe (sorry, wish I was ;)) but I can suggest some beginner step workouts to help you get started. Unfortunately there are no tutorials :(.

1) Start out with Basic Step/Body Fusion. It is an absolute must for novice steppers new to Cathe.

2) From there go to Low Impact Step.

3) Now, I am not familiar with Cardio Hits or Classics, but from what I've heard they are far more basic/athletic style in nature as opposed to some of Cathe's more recent complex step routines. I do believe she also spends more time "teaching" the moves and breaking them down (her queuing is impeccable), so you might want to invest in those step workouts next.

The trick with step is that you must practice, practice, practice! The more you do it, the better you will get. Also, it is very common to get discouraged and give up, but I would encourage you not to! It is so fun once you really get the hang of it, plus you have the added bonus of working your body and mind!

Good luck!

Natasha

Natasha-

When I typed "avid stepper" I was thinking of you! I knew you could and would help out. :)

Pam

Natty is correct on basic step and low impact step.. and I did just get cardio hits I did first two already it was fun and sweaty and it is choreography that is not to dancy but dancy what I mean by that is she brakes the moves down to where u learn them pretty well. The choreography isn't hard in them because it is more basic and each move u spend more time on it. Like flying angles are on there and 360 And. Like i said it is broke down. I am gonna do tge last one on it tomorrow and I think I'm going to brake out a newer step to see if they helped but I can tell already it will help. There two moves I could not get but after doing cardio hits I can, or I know the more basic move if i have to now. I hope that helps some

Basic Step and Cardio Hits are both great recommendations from Natasha. Definitely start with Basic Step - she does a really good job breaking things down in here, and the pace is slow, and it gives you a nice foundation for the rest of her step work.

Another tip for some of the more advanced ones is, if your DVD player has the option, to "slow down" the normal play time. Some DVD players will let you play 0.5x slower or faster than the normal speed. I know some people will do this when trying learn the choreo. Also, if you are confused in the beginning by any steps where you have to turn your back to the TV, just face forwards until you get the foot work down. Good luck!

I have a question on learning step and practicing too. Do you put the DVD in and just push play as you try to follow along the whole way through or do you pause and rewind until you "get it"? I tried Intensity this morning and I didn't do too bad, though she lost me on the figure 8's and a few others. I'm not sure if I just keep trying the whole thing through, will it just click or doesn't it work that way? I did preview the whole workout prior to doing it and I think that's for sure a must. I did Basic Step and finally got that. The first time I tried it, I thought, wow, I can't even do that! I put it away for about a year, tried it again and I was able to follow along. Maybe that's just what happens and I never give it time? I do hope to be able to learn all of Cathe's step workouts. I feel like I'm really missing out by not being able to do them. I love reading everyone's advice on this forum, it is so helpful!

I have a question on learning step and practicing too. Do you put the DVD in and just push play as you try to follow along the whole way through or do you pause and rewind until you "get it"? I tried Intensity this morning and I didn't do too bad, though she lost me on the figure 8's and a few others. I'm not sure if I just keep trying the whole thing through, will it just click or doesn't it work that way? I did preview the whole workout prior to doing it and I think that's for sure a must. I did Basic Step and finally got that. The first time I tried it, I thought, wow, I can't even do that! I put it away for about a year, tried it again and I was able to follow along. Maybe that's just what happens and I never give it time? I do hope to be able to learn all of Cathe's step workouts. I feel like I'm really missing out by not being able to do them. I love reading everyone's advice on this forum, it is so helpful!

Ok, here is the scoop on step: it takes lots of time, practice and dedication. Trust me when I say no one is born a great stepper. Just like any obstacle in life, if you really want to overcome/achieve it, you can! The secret is there is no secret. You will make mistakes, get frustrated, look like a fool, slip and probably fall a few times, but if you give it time, get back up and try again...and again, you will find yourself one year later stepping with the best of them! (yes, that was a reference to myself). Like I said, if you really want to learn complex step, give it time. Rome was not built in a day :).

I stepped for the very first time May 2011 (when I found Cathe). No, I did not rewind, use slow mode, or any other helpful tricks. I just pressed play and off I went. I sucked bad. Really bad. BUT the more step I did, the better I got. Weekly I would visit step routines, dedicating only 2hrs/week. I just had it stuck in my head that I was going to "get it". There was a moment for me when I put in BM2 for the first time, and I nailed the choreo in one shot. I think I almost cried. Something that I worked so hard for (no, it did not come easy) was mine for the taking! Of course it's not only about step, but for every facet of your life.

So keep on stepping and I assure you, come next year, you'll be writing the same post as me.

Good luck!

Natasha

Natasha - thanks for your encouragement! I neglected to mention I even have trouble with the warm up on the step in HiiT 40/20 so I avoid doing that workout. You may have under estimated how truly Choreography Challenged I am! I will keep attempting the workouts and just trying to learn. I like the idea of just sticking the DVD in and pushing play, but was worried no one learns step like that, so I'm glad to know you did it that way. When I can learn to step, it will open so many options for me. I buy all of Cathe's workouts now with the pre-sales, so I wind up with so many step workouts that I've never touched. I don't own the low impact one that you mentioned should be next after basic step, hoping that is the deal of the day soon and it will give me an excuse to buy it. I'm excited to think of all these "new" Cathe workouts. I think all the talk on the forums of the IMAXs made me really want to learn to step. I know that's a long way off, but it will be my goal. Thanks again, Connie:)

Hello guys, thank you for all the helpful hints. I have ordered all the 4 recommended DVDs and am impatiently waiting for them. Will let you all know how it goes, once I do them. Thank you soo much once again :)

Natasha - thanks for your encouragement! I neglected to mention I even have trouble with the warm up on the step in HiiT 40/20 so I avoid doing that workout. You may have under estimated how truly Choreography Challenged I am! I will keep attempting the workouts and just trying to learn. I like the idea of just sticking the DVD in and pushing play, but was worried no one learns step like that, so I'm glad to know you did it that way. When I can learn to step, it will open so many options for me. I buy all of Cathe's workouts now with the pre-sales, so I wind up with so many step workouts that I've never touched. I don't own the low impact one that you mentioned should be next after basic step, hoping that is the deal of the day soon and it will give me an excuse to buy it. I'm excited to think of all these "new" Cathe workouts. I think all the talk on the forums of the IMAXs made me really want to learn to step. I know that's a long way off, but it will be my goal. Thanks again, Connie:)

The highlighted parts were everything I was thinking/experiencing last year when I found Cathe. I had a hard time with Basic Step!! Anything can be done if you put your mind to it.

Take care :)

I agree with Natasha - it takes practice. Don't get discouraged though, because you will be amazed at how much your mind and body learn even if you think you are not getting it. You might thing you are never going to get it when you pull the dvd out, but then the next time in you get some tricky foot work nailed and you are like wow!

I just plow through all at once and if I am not getting something I just do turn steps and watch her feet until I am ready to jump in again.

One other thought might be an early Christi Taylor DVD, like Totally Cool Step. She has something called "move master" that breaks down a lot of complicated steps. Her workouts are definitely more "dancey", but she does lots of break downs and repetitions, and that really helps with learning. Her workouts are on Netflix, so you could try before you buy. Once you get some of those moves, than you could come back and see if you feel more comfortable with some of Cathes. Just a thought.

Good luck!

Hi there,

I would suggest ...if you are doing a new routine, just keep going through..don't bother trying to "get" every move. It is amazing...the next time you attempt the DVD, you will get a lot further ...it is like magic!

I'm amazed at the progress I've made! ...it is so much fun when you finally "nail it"!

Have fun!
Liz

Hello everyone,

To add to what Natasha has quoted above, on top of breaking down moves and practising, cathe does repeat some of her popular moves in upcoming DVD. An example of a popular one is Hip hop repeater, grapevine on the step, box step, step slam etc...Once you have mastered the moves you never forget in my opinion.

I learnt the hard way with Body max as a starting point :D. I had not tried step before. I was fine.

All the best,

Nathalie

Last edited:
Don't get discouraged though, because you will be amazed at how much your mind and body learn even if you think you are not getting it. You might thing you are never going to get it when you pull the dvd out, but then the next time in you get some tricky foot work nailed and you are like wow!

You took the words out of my mouth! The mind/body connection is an incredible thing.

Try turnstep.com or stepcenter.com for some animated step move tutorials. Not all steps are on it, (and some of stepcenter is not free) but they helped me with some steps in the beginning!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.