TravelFit thoughts/recommendations for others?

are

Just tried TravelFit for the first time and was way disappointed. I knew the aero was going to be limited from previous posts, but I found the bandwork also pretty much intermediate/beginner level. This is the fourth new Cathe workout (post-Imax1) I've tried and found really unsatisfying. Can someone recommend a newer workout that is as challenging as they used to be? It's getting so frustrating and I do love Cathe's style - would prefer to stick with her than find someone else! Thanks.

Cardio Core Circuit! It may be short.. but it's good cardio.

Also, her HIIT dvd.. they may be short workouts, but it's dead easy to double up, and it's a really good dvd.

For step, Athletic step is quite intense, just again, quite short.

Have you got any of the 2006 series?
Drill max is AWESOME!
Body max 2 is not quite as intense, but it's very very good
Butts and Guts is painful, but good, but no cardio :)

Hope that helps :)

What is your goal for the workout ... ?

Before tossing TravelFit altogether, you might try raising the difficulty level by using a tougher band (you could use two at once), and by trading in the squats for single-legged moves and/or suitcase lifts with the band as an add-on. Also, you can throw in some pushups in the middle, or trade in burpees for jumping jacks if space permits :) I also like combining TravelFit with my TRX workouts. Sometimes I'll also use my travel backpack to add a little weight. TravelFit moves take up very little room, it's doable from a tiny computer screen and/or ipod, and it doesn't overstrain my body when I'm already working on short sleep/time zone changes during a business trip, and it doesn't make so much noise that I have to avoid doing it in a hotel room. I don't use it when my goal is to max out intensity on either cardio or weights - but it's been a very useful travel workout.

Ditto on the Butts/Gutts, Drill Max, CCC recommendations - also I love doing Squat Rack legs (Meso 3). But not on travel :)

Last edited:
Travel Fit fit me!

I agree with Shadowpup that Travel Fit is ideal for, well, travel! I used it along with HiiT and came out of a 2 week vacation in better shape than when I left for it :eek:! I did a lot of hiking during the day and really welcomed the upper body toning I got from Travel Fit using the new bands (I used the green one). My husband joined me and used the heaviest band (the blue one). We used my laptop in a little hotel room and felt very energized afterward! The fact that it is a zero learning curve was great and we could get right into it without missing any moves. HiiT and Travel Fit are my first Cathe DVDs and because I loved them so much I pre-ordered the new series. I have incorporated Travel Fit into my rotations because I love how different it feels from just lifting weights (tension throughout the move). I hope you give this DVD another chance and try some of the suggestions that the others have given (especially the one about using a heavier band)!:)

If you're looking for a challening workout, Travel Fit isn't a great choice. I find Travel Fit useful for travel, but I agree it's an intermediate workout at best. I've used it on trips when I've stayed in tiny hotel rooms (and no gym in the hotel) and it's good for maintaining fitness but not breaking any new ground in terms of strength or endurance. Its best feature, in my opinion, is that it can be done in tiny spaces and with no equipment, and I'll still work up a sweat and get a total body workout, albeit a moderate one. It's been a relief to not feel pressure to make fitness gains while traveling; rather, I go into "maintenance mode."

Have you looked at any of the new workouts that are on preorder? They look pretty intense! Other recent workouts that I find tough: Hiit, Drill Max, and the Gym Style series for strength training. HTH!

I don't think TravelFit is supposed to be a high-intensity workout. The point is that this is to be done when/where you are tight on time/space and the fact that it's portable - you only need a band. When most people travel, they're not looking for hard-core workouts but they don't want to do nothing either. If you really want intensity, I would go to the hotel gym, a local gym, or go running or something. If you're at home, then Travel Fit isn't the right thing anyway - do a different workout - something suitably intense for your needs. Although I'll admit, I like Travel Fit for days when I'm not feeling up to a regular workout (like right now, when I have a good cold working).

I agree that Travel Fit can be useful on days when you don't want to use lots of equipment. It gives me a nice little shoulder burn and it moves along quickly. I enjoy it and put it in my rotation frequently.

I like Travel Fit for what it is... a good "travel" workout. I mean, if I'm on vacation I'm not sure I need to do something like STS or Gymstyles.
Also, like the other posters mentioned, you can UP the intensity with a stronger band.

Nothing from the STS Cardio series is very hard, in my opinion. They are all moderate workouts, merely because they are short. They are supposed to compliment the STS series, rather than stand alone, thus the reason the workouts are shorter and less intense.

I love Body Max 2 for a long, intense full body workout. But it really just depends on what your are looking for. For interval training you could try Imax 2 (a favorite) and Imax 3 puts 2 to shame in terms of intensity. The blasts are harder and the recovery time is shorter. Drill Max is a good circuit workout, Cardio and Weights on two risers is a good fat burning workout with weights and abs added in. Hardcore Extreme has some great mixes of several workouts as well as Cardio Fusion. Nothing on either of those two DVDs is "easy."

just got done

just got done with CCC today and travel fit yesterday they are great workouts! I like travel fit because its a nice break from weights and if someone wants to make it tough they can change the band and use the blue one. I think Cathe did a GREAT job on STS cardio!

Last edited:
Nothing from the STS Cardio series is very hard, in my opinion. They are all moderate workouts, merely because they are short. They are supposed to compliment the STS series, rather than stand alone, thus the reason the workouts are shorter and less intense.

I love Body Max 2 for a long, intense full body workout. But it really just depends on what your are looking for. For interval training you could try Imax 2 (a favorite) and Imax 3 puts 2 to shame in terms of intensity. The blasts are harder and the recovery time is shorter. Drill Max is a good circuit workout, Cardio and Weights on two risers is a good fat burning workout with weights and abs added in. Hardcore Extreme has some great mixes of several workouts as well as Cardio Fusion. Nothing on either of those two DVDs is "easy."

I really wouldn't say that HiiT or Cardio Core circuit is easy. You must be in GREAT shape. good for you!

I really wouldn't say that HiiT or Cardio Core circuit is easy. You must be in GREAT shape. good for you!

Yeah, I was going to say that Cardio Core Circuit is pretty tough. We just did a version of that live with Cathe at the TX RT. She toned in down significantly for the RT, though. The Hiit workouts are very intense, but they are so short. I feel like I cheated if I do that and nothing else, don't you? Having the STS Cardio only makes me want the STS stuff so badly. I bet, in combination, they make for some great workouts. I've been hinting at everyone "STS for my Christmas!!"

If you don't already have them, I would recommend buying future workouts via digital download. That way you have the option of making your own premixes in the workout blender. It is also a lot cheaper than buying the dvds

After previewing it for the first time, I found it would be a "nice break" from the other high intensity workouts to do on vacation or down time. Myself, it's taken me awhile to get back into a workout routine and this video is a good off day workout.
I agree with Cathlete1001. If you look back; Step, Jump & Pump is a lighter intensity workout than Step Blast but is still effective.

I have Cardio Core Circuit and Travel Fit in download form and made a circuit with workout blender using them. It was a nice workout and I was very sweaty during it :)

thanks, everyone, for your comments. I should have pointed out that I travel ALL the time and have been doing workouts in hotel rooms for about 20 years now (either making audio tapes of videos or more recently doing DVDs). I've found that there are many, many workouts that work very well in hotel rooms and in small spaces and that are all much more challenging than this one. So for others who travel, maybe I can help with some suggestions?

Firm 500 (great one) - if you don't have waterbells then just do the cardio
CF 4-day Kickbox
Montenegra method endurance (wow)
Kathy Smith aerobox
CF Circuit Max (floor aero sections; you'll need to modify a bit but not too much). I've also done the step sections without a step.

And if you don't have waterbells, you should get them - they're fabulous!

I DO have a lot of workouts via digital download.I didn't know you could use the workout blender on that - thanks! Off now to learn how it works (I assume there's info somewhere on the site!) That was a great suggestion.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.