Travel Channel Food Shows, Ever Notice...

DEEDEE2

Cathlete
...how all the food shows are about unhealthy foods? Delicious, but unhealthy. Donut paradise, pizza paradise, hot dog paradise, best places to pig out and the ridiculous Man vs. Food. I mean a 32oz donut? A 72oz steak? A serving tray loaded with french fries, the tray, not a plate on the tray. You never see, the largest veggie salad or the largest egg white veggie scramble.:D I guess healthy food is just boring.

It still bothers me to see such gluttony when people are starving. I mean how can you sit down to a dinner that would feed a family of 8 and try to stuff it all down just to get it free? I know, I know, its all in fun...I guess.:cool:

I totally agree DeeDee... but if you notice, there are very few food shows that are healthy in general, not just those that are gluttonous... although the idea of stuffing your face with a meal fit for 6 seems so unnecessary! Even the Food Network shows are often very unhealthy unless that is their specific goal... Paula Dean would not win any Healthy cooking awards I'm sure :eek:

I wish there were more shows that helped our country have better eating habits, but I think that most have their heads in the sand when it comes to the fact that we are so obese in general...

I'm also shocked at a few of those guys on Discovery & Travel channels that will eat all that very WIERD stuff from all over the world! Some of it is just plain GROSS!:p Even DH, who will eat ALMOST anything, thinks those guys are very extreme!

Paula Dean would not win any Healthy cooking awards I'm sure :eek:

I totally agree there. BUT did you see her party show Saturday night where she had the Ben & Jerry's guy on with two new "Paula" flavors ?!?:eek: Very unhealthy yes, but boy would I love to try a spoonful!! Not the whole carton of course. :rolleyes:

The only food shows I watch on the Travel Channel are Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations" and Andrew Zimmern's "Bizarre Foods" because they're about digging into a culture and eating what's local...which can be both weird and wonderful...and REAL.

Last edited:
I LOVE Anthony Bourdain. He's hysterical funny - his books are really good. I don't like Zimmer, because they just do too much killing of animals on his show and I don't like watching that. I'm a regular watcher of the Food Network and I agree with their show placements - they've even moved Ellie Krieger - one of my favs for healthy cooking and moved her to some random time. It's very annoying. Isn't gluttony supposed to be a sin? Kind of ironic in our religion-obsessed world that people can put that aside to be slothy, piggy people.

OMG..Andrew Zimmern's Bizarre Foods! I can't believe some of the things he eats on that show. Guinia Pigs :(, pig intestines, bugs of all kinds..... I could throw up just thinking about it. But it is interesting to see the cultural differences.

JJ

OMG..Andrew Zimmern's Bizarre Foods! I can't believe some of the things he eats on that show. Guinea Pigs :(, pig intestines, bugs of all kinds..... I could throw up just thinking about it. But it is interesting to see the cultural differences.

JJ

That's just wrong.... My pigs are calling PETA!

Piggies.jpg

Isn't gluttony supposed to be a sin?

Proverbs 23: 2 "....put a knife to yu r throat if you are given to gluttony. Do not crave his delecaies, for his food is deceptive."

Proverbs 25: 16 "If you find honey, eat just enough- too muchof it and you will vomit."

Proverbs 25 : 27 "It is not good to eat too much honey,..."

Andrew Zimmern's "Bizarre Foods"

I was flipping through the channels last week & came across his show...WOW. I had never heard of it before. Some pretty crazy stuff going into his mouth. :confused: I didn't watch the show so I can't comment on any killingof animals but I thought the concept was good showing other peoples eating habits. I guess if you think about it America has some pretty grose eating habits as well :(......SUPER SIZE?

Love the hair do on the one in the back!!! Is every day a "Bad hair day"? Kind of a wash & go style.

I also had GP when I was a kid - loved them!! I would get another one but Maggie (maynards women) has OCD when it comes to rabbits in the yard (not a pretty story) she may think the GP is along the same line :confused::(

I totally agree there. BUT did you see her party show Saturday night where she had the Ben & Jerry's guy on with two new "Paula" flavors ?!?:eek: Very unhealthy yes, but boy would I love to try a spoonful!! Not the whole carton of course. :rolleyes:

That's just it. You would like to try a scoop or two, like most people, but on one of the shows they had a Ben and Jerry's Gut Buster Sunday that had: 20 scoops of ice cream, 12 1in sq brownies, 1 scoop each of 18 different toppings and tons of nuts and whipped cream...all for one person! Isn't that crazy?! One show had a 12 egg omelet, another had a 3lb burger served with 5 lbs of french fries. All of the folks in these shows were trying to stuff all this food down just to brag and say 'I did it' and to get the food free. That is what I don't get, how is can be seen a 'cool' to eat so much in one sitting.:confused:

That's just it. You would like to try a scoop or two, like most people, but on one of the shows they had a Ben and Jerry's Gut Buster Sunday that had: 20 scoops of ice cream, 12 1in sq brownies, 1 scoop each of 18 different toppings and tons of nuts and whipped cream...all for one person! Isn't that crazy?! One show had a 12 egg omelet, another had a 3lb burger served with 5 lbs of french fries. All of the folks in these shows were trying to stuff all this food down just to brag and say 'I did it' and to get the food free. That is what I don't get, how is can be seen a 'cool' to eat so much in one sitting.:confused:

I saw that show too DeeDee!!! I wanted to puke just watching. That is so unhealthy. Then there's a guy with a show and that's what he does is go around power eating. Would be interesting to see his blood work #'s! :eek:

I saw that show too DeeDee!!! I wanted to puke just watching. That is so unhealthy. Then there's a guy with a show and that's what he does is go around power eating. Would be interesting to see his blood work #'s! :eek:

Can you imagine how you would feel after eating one of those huge meals? Man, the sugar in that huge sundae would probably kill some people.:(

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.