Transitioning from 5 meals to 3 meals

So I always read that eating 5 small meals a day is the best thing for metabolism. Now they're saying it makes very little difference. So I'd like to transition back to 3 meals and 1 snack. With small meals I'm constantly hungry and almost obcessed with food, because after I'm done eating I'm still hungry and start looking at the clock every 10 min to see if it's time to eat again. Makes me feel crazy.
The problem I'm having is that on weekdays my body is like clock work. I'm hungry at the same times no matter how much I eat, so even if I make my 9AM breakfast larger, I'm still hungry at 11AM. I don't even need a watch to know what time it is.
On the weekends my schedule is all different and I actually do eat only 3 meals and those are the days that I have an easier time sticking to my diet.
Did any of you make this transition?

I read a great book Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle. Here is what I currently do; During the week I eat five meals a day. The book suggests six but I combine the first two for one big meal, ussually around 7 or 8 am.

Meal #1 & Meal #2 2 Simple Carbs/2 Complex Carbs Starchy/2 Lean Protein/ 14grams of fat from Udo's Oil.

Meal 3, 4, 5: Lean Protein/Complex Starcy Carb/Complex Leafy Carb.

I eat a complete lean protein with every meal.

On the weekends I try to get all the elements of what I eat during the week but it is a lot less structured

Just out of curiosity, where did you hear that it makes little difference? The majority of what I'm reading still promotes frequent eating. Just wondering.

lynda

Hi,
Just my educated imput here.. spacing out more meals each day helps to increase and steady out the metabolism.
Increasing protein and keeping the meals liter on the fat side for 5-7 meals per day. Every 2+/- hours. You can actually have just as many (or more) calories and still maintain a smaller waistline-- or lose weight by wisely using FOOD to regulate your body and increase your metabolism-- and it CAN'T be done on only three meals per day :)

I just read In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan and he mentions about where did snacking suddenly come from. Previously it was three meals a day and NO snacks. He seems to think that is a good idea. I have been thinking about this also. I am eating 3 meals a day and one small snack with tea at 4:00 p.m. The other way I too became obsessed with food. Time to eat again?! I think I am doing better on 3 meals and 1 snack.

Hey, everyone has to do what works for THEM. :) I eat five to six meals a day. I don't do "snacks". They're meals. Protein (20 to 30 grams each meal), veggies or fruit, and good fats. My starchy carbs are "earned" as my post-workout meal. My first meal in the AM on early AM workout days (which is most of them!!) is a protein powder shake with frozen berries and flax meal. This is working for me like NOTHING else ever has, so no matter what "they" say in the future ... ;) I will be sticking with this.

If eating 3 meals and a snack works for you, and you're getting the results you want, then I think you should stick with that. If a different pattern is working and you're getting results, then stick with that. I really don't think there is one meal plan fits all.

Carol
:)

when i start back at work again 5-6 small meals over the course of the day is NOT an option. i do snack after work and started having dinner just slightly later then normal (the norm now is about 5:30-6). i have a little something before workouts in the am, have my breakfast which is a protien and a fruit of some sort. lunch is also very early b/c its the only time we get breaks at work so i have to keep moderate. i always have two veggies be it a salad or two hot veggies and a sandwich of some type with whole wheat bread. after work i snack on fruits(fresh or dried whatever i can get to and maybe a glass of milk or a yogurt mixed with protein powder) then i have a larger dinner with a larger portion of protein and lots of veggies and very small serving of a carb/starch like brown rice/red potatoes etc. if i am hungry before bed i might have a handful of peanuts with fruit.
i have cheat meals on weekends and that is when i do break down my meals more.

no it doesn't give me exactly the results i want but my main goal then is to have something in my body where i don't start getting headaches and feeling week over anything else.

i am with carol not everybody can follow the 5-6 meals for reason likes mine or it just doesn't work for them.

kassia

I feel better on 5 meals, but the transition from 3 to 5 wasn't fun. I too was starving at first, never feeling satisfied. That went away after a couple of weeks though.

I'm lucky in that I work out of my home, so I can plan my meals with ease. When I'm on vacation, I'm totally lost :D , and I know working outside of the home would require some effort and creativity on my part.

I take my food with me. I cook it twice a week, put it in Ziploc containers (in portion sizes I want for each meal), then put it all in a large Coleman insulated cooler, and carry it to work. I've even taken food with me to the dentist's office, doctor's office, or on short trips on a weekend when I know I'll be gone more than three hours. When eating out at restaurants, I order food prepared the way that I want, and that fits my meal plan, not necessarily what they offer. I have yet to find a place that won't tweak things for me. I really don't find it inconvenient to do any of this. I work a full time job, but it's a desk job and I do have a lot of flexibility in terms of being able to eat this way. My co-workers are used to it by now, and they ignore my eating every three hours for the most part. Now that they're seeing results like this, they're also asking a lot of questions. But I also recognize not everyone has the time or patience to prepare for meals like this. My family is not eating like this. I buy my own groceries each week and make my own meals. Hubby and my daughter are on their own - LOL! They're fine with that though, because they support anything and everything I do, and because they see the results, and they know how thrilled I am with them. Everyone's life is different, and you have to do what works for best for YOU.

I do love reading though about what everyone else is doing. It emphasizes how different we each are, and it also supports the fact that there is more than one way to reach a weight loss or fitness goal.

Carol
:)

I remember when I use to just eat 3 times a day I was in great shape and never was hungry. Now that I've been eating 6 times a day I'm hungry all the time and I'm not loosing weight anymore.

I think everyone needs to find an eating plan that works for them. But I must say that I do better with 5 meals. The transition from 3 meals to 5 was hard and yes, I did look at the clock too at 1st, but after doing this for a little while, my body got used to it. Now, I can't imagine eating any other way. Any change in eating needs a little time to sink in. I would recommend waiting a little bit and giving it an honest effort before you transition back to 3 meals.

I generally just stick to 3 meals and 1 snack. With my work and school schedule, it is hard to eat 5-6 meals per day. I used to eat 5-6 meals a day and found that it really helped stabilize my energy levels throughout the day. Now, I feel a bit sluggish around 3-4 p.m. You have to do what works for you and your schedule. If you decide to stick to the 5-6 meals per day plan consider logging in your meals and even customize a meal plan so it won't be too much of a distraction. Best wishes!

I've gone back to eating 2 or 3 times a day as well. When i was eating 5-7 times daily, I never felt satisfied. I was alway watching the clock so I could eat again. I like experiencing a full, but not overly full feeling.
My theory is the eating 5 or more meals came from diabetics and body builders. Diabetics to help keep insulin levels steady and body builders so they can grow. Just my theory. I don't want to bulk up and i'm not diabetic so I have no problems going 5 or 6 hours without eating. If I'm hungry I have someting to eat. If I'm not I don't.

You know, the problem is that there are rules set to what's the best way to be fit. But if we look, each person is different and we cannot set one rule. We all have different body types and we lose weight differently.
Ayurvedic body types explain that.
We are not all the same. Some of us get sick more often, some of us gain weight faster. Some of us are thin all their life no matter what.
I think what we do is important but what we do should work for us. I personally cannot do eating 5 times a day. It simply doesn't work for me and doesn't feel right. So all these new things they come up with is simply to make us read thei magazine. Nothing is written in stone. In few years, there will be a new thing that will probably make lots of sens since there is always a logical explanation. But it will not be good for all body types!
That's my opinion.
I take these things into consideration, but I always question them to see if they are right for me. Every woman is different.

Good discussion and I agree that everyone IS different and has to find what works for them. I wanted to add that Jillian Michaels has said many times on her podcast that she is not a fan of 5-6 meals per day because: 1) studies she has reviewed show there is not significant metabolic benefit to eating that often. 2) the approach of 5-6 meals a day comes from body building with the intent to GAIN weight and her goal is to help people LOSE weight. She states there is no evidence that shows 5-6 meals a day is helpful to weight LOSS. (Again she's focused just on weight loss, not necessarily muscle building when she's giving this answer.)

This is a great discussion. I have tried the 5 times a day, and I actually feel satisfied throughout the day, but I guess I couldn't keep the calories low enough, because I never lost any weight doing it. And, it was just too much planning and shopping for me.

So now I'm ordering a fresh meal delivery service, which is 3 a day, 1 snack, and a couple milks and fruits added in. We'll see, I'm kind of resistant to losing weight it seems.

I'm also a big fan of Jillian Michaels, she seems to be pretty straight forward and sensible.

I am now back to 3 meals a day and I feel so much better! Not hungry all the time and not focused on food all the time. I'm also able to loose after a weekend of oopsies... and then maintain. I just find I eat more than what I'm supposed to when I eat 5-6 times per day! Also I have to limit the fruit intake to 1-2 servings and watch how acidic the foods are. Fruits are not veggies and are considered my treat of the day. I have noticed this change in the last few years, since turning 36. So gals, what will happen at 40???

I loved reading the book by Joshi, The Holistic Detox. I find that lemon/grapefruit/water/ginger/garlic juice on a Monday morning is magic. I am also focused on more vegan recipes. My body seems to respond to this.

According to the "No Crave diet", it is better to eat just 3 times a day for reduced cravings and fat loss - more than this and insulin levels rise too often, promoting fat storage. On the other hand, most nutrition books recomend 3 meals and 2 snacks to keep blood sugar even, saying that this is a better way to stabilize insulin levels and lose fat than 3 large meals.

I agree that what works for the individual is best. I know that my blood sugar gets too low if I only eat 3 meals. People with better blood sugar balance would be fine with 3 meals and this may even be better for digestion that eating more often.

I too switched after 2+ years of eating 5-6x to 3 meals with "as needed" lite snacks....I must say gals (& guys;) ) that I have dropped the 10 pounds I havent been able to drop in 6 months. :eek:

I dont know if my body is just liking the change or if it really needed the between meal "fast" in order to burn up the fat...whatever it is- I'm a happy camper! ~ I am keeping an open mind that once I start STS and/or another
P90X round I may have to /need to eat a bit more frequently... Its all about staying open minded to changing needs of the body I think.

I mentioned this in another thread on the same topic, but I'll repeat it here:

Another reason for possibly prefering 3 meals a day to 5-6: According to Dr. Fuhrman (who does his reading and research), several studies suggest that people who eat fewer times a day, even on the same amount of calories, live longer than those who eat more frequently. (He's also a proponent of letting the body go through times when it is not busy with the digestion process, to facilitate the natural detox and healing processes--the energy used for digesting those extra meals then goes to healing).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.