Too much cardio stopping muscle growth?

kristi

Cathlete
I was wondering if it was true that too much cardio hinders the growth of muscle. If so how much cardio is too much? I forgot where I heard this statement.

Thanks.

Hi Kristi,

The short answer is, yes.

Maribeth just gave me a wake up call about this exact subject, since I am the Cardio Queen and have been suffering from some fatigue and actually gaining weight despite lots of exercise and good eating. I'm short on time, and she's much more concise and common sense than I am, so I'm hoping she'll see your post and send a reply. If not I'll try to paraphrase what she told me and post again later.

FitnessRN

I too am real interested to hear from Cathe, Fitnurse or Maribeth or Aquajock or any of the educated people here that can help on this I didn't really know one could overdo the cardio!!! YIKES :-wow :-hmmm

Edith
;-)

I too am interested in input from an educated one. I love cardio too much and am guilty of choosing cardio when I should probably be choosing weights.

Hi Kristi,

I, too, am interested in this - I found that, last year when I stuck to just cardio workouts, between October and January, I hardly lost any weight, even though my eating was really clean, and I was working out 5-6 days a week !

Anna

This is a hot topic and also hope to hear some good feedback regarding this issue. I know that previously cardio was always emphasized when it came to losing weight/fat and now it seems the movement is towards lifting weights with moderate amounts of cardio. It is very confusing and I know, at least for me, that doing cardio as the main way to lose weight/maintain weight has been deeply ingrained into my psyche.

Okay Kristi, here it goes-

When you perform cardio activity, your body manufactures the needed energy from carbohydrates in the form of circulating blood glucose and glycogen that's stored in your muscles. After a period of time, your body gets the idea that this activity might go on for a little while, so it begins to conserve its supply of carbohydrates by switching to fat for energy instead. The catch is that the body can only utilize fat in this way if glucose (carbs) are present. Under ideal conditions, your body continues to get glucose from your blood sugar/glycogen stores.

When you perform too much cardio, or overtrain, you create more of a demand than your body can handle. Physiologically, there is a threshold that your body will not go below in terms of glycogen, and so now it begins to look for an alternative source of glucose. Guess what that is? Your hard earned muscle. When you have used up all the glycogen your body is willing to spare, it begins to break down protein (muscle) to sell it for spare parts (glucose). It will also put a moratorium on any new muscle growth and divert any stray amino acids you have to the spare parts factory as well.

The way I understand the overtraining thing, though, is that it's really an interplay between several variables- training (demand), nutrition (supply), and rest & recovery (labor). Two people may follow the exact same training program and one will become overtrained while the other does not. This is because one is getting adequate nutrition, rest and recovery to support her training schedule while the one who experiences overtraining is lacking in one or more areas.

I'm so interested in this topic that I just ordered a book on overtraining from www.humankinetics.com. Looking back I'm beginning to realize that I've been doing this to my body for years. It's amazing I've made any progress at all.

I'm still hopeful we'll hear from Maribeth on this subject. I can give you my basic understanding but I'm way too rusty to get into specifics or quote resources at this point. Hope this helps for now.

FitnessRN

I think this entirely depends on how much you eat. If you take in more than enough calories to compensate for the increased activity I don't think you will see muscle wasting. Atleast this is my experience.

Janice

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Oct-16-02 AT 11:27PM (Est)[/font][p]Hey, FinessRN thanks for the great "printable post".

What EXACTLY are the symptoms of over training? I'm guessing fatigue is the obvious one, but are there some more subtle signs to look for?

Julie

Amadeus,

The biggies that I have found in my mini research project are fatigue, loss of interest in activities you previously enjoyed, fitness plateaus or even decrease in physical performance, and changes in your resting heart rate and recovery heart rate. For the RHR it is usually increased but there are some cases where it can be lower, so a significant (6-10 beats I read in one article) change from your norm is important. Basically every article I found said if you are asking yourself the question "Am I overtraining?" you probably are.

In mild cases the treatment is rest for 3-5 days, then begin your activity again at your normal intensity but for a shorter duration. Begin with an every other day schedule to give your body a rest in between.

Like I said, I ordered this very extensive book online, so if I learn anymore really interesting things I'll let you know.

FitnessRN

I too am interested in the answer, I never heard that before. I do step at least 4 days a week & 2 days of upper & lower body training. With one of the 2 days of upper & lower I still to aerobics, so I am getting 4 full aerobic workouts Karen

I did read in Trail Runner magazine that most overtraining is a result of "underfueling". I can give the issue and page # if anyone wants that I still have it.

Kinda amazes me we need to eat as much as some sources say we do!! :-wow

Edith
;-)

It's also important WHEN you eat relative to exercise so that you maximize results. I know that you should be eating a small carb/prot/fat balanced meal every 3-4 hrs, and the meal you eat immediately after strength training should be relatively high in carbs with a high Glycemic Index. Most sources I've read say 3:1 carb to protein ratio at that meal, and then again in about 2 hrs to be sure you refuel. I'm sure there are other guidelines, too. Those are the ones I'm most familiar with.

FitnessRN

Thank you for the information. Since I have been trying to tone up and lose weight I did not want my efforts to be for naught. I often worry about overtraining since I have been working out 5 or 6 days a week. I'll keep an eye out for the symptoms of overtraining. Thanks once again.

signs of overtraining

Know The Signs
It's important to be able to recognize the signs of overtraining before they become chronic. Physical signs of overtraining include:

decreased performance
loss of coordination
prolonged recovery
elevated morning heart rate
headaches
loss of appetite
muscle soreness/tenderness
gastrointestinal disturbances
decreased ability to ward off infection

Keep in mind that not all of the signs of overtraining are physical. Much like regular exercise has a positive effect on mood and stress levels, too much exercise can do just the opposite, leaving the exerciser irritable and depressed, particularly as the quality of the workouts declines. Psychological and emotional signs of overtraining include depression, apathy, difficulty concentrating, emotional sensitivity and reduced self-esteem

Understand The Cause
Once you recognize the symptoms of overtraining, it's important to understand and honestly confront the cause. For some, overtraining occurs as a result of an upcoming competition. Increased training prior to an event is understandable, but if it's interfering with your health and well-being, you have to question its worth. The solution? May be as easy as reducing the rate at which you increase your training intensity. The body needs sufficient time to adjust to your increased demands. Triathletes don't start out running 10 miles, cycling 100 miles and swimming 1,000 meters all at once. They gradually increase their training to allow their bodies to adapt.

For others, the basis for overtraining may have more to do with emotional or psychological reasons than physical ones. Much like eating disorders, exercise addiction is now recognized as a legitimate problem. Exercising beyond the point of exhaustion, while injured, or to the exclusion of all other aspects of one's life - these are some of the signs of exercise addiction. It's a difficult problem to recognize, particularly in a culture where discipline and control are lauded.

Individuals who exercise excessively are risking more than poor performance: They're risking their health. Overuse syndrome, which may lead to more serious injuries, is common. And the emotional cost of isolating oneself in order to exercise can be devastating. If you recognize these symptoms in yourself or in a friend, it is essential that you seek professional help.

The M Word
The key, it seems, to staying healthy is to do everything in moderation, which is best viewed as something relative to one's own fitness level and goals. Don't expect to exercise an hour every day simply because your very fit friend does. The body needs time to adjust, adapt and, yes, even recuperate. Exercising to the point of overtraining is simply taking one step forward, two steps back - not exactly good training tactics.
Your friend in fitness~~Francine

Good info, guys! How much cardio is too much? If you're depleting glycogen stores/lowering blood glucose levels to below a critical point(which varies somewhat from person to person), the body will make more. Since only very insignificant amounts of fat can be used for the manufacture of glucose, the biggest source is protein stores, of which lean muscle is a major one. Loss of lean muscle mass, even a little at a time, results in a lowering of metabolic rate.

This is why it is vitally important not to exercise on an empty stomach first thing in the morning and why you should really have a snack containing carbs an hour or so prior to your workout if it has been approximately 3 hours or more since your last meal. The longer and more intense the cardio session, the more carbs you will need to keep the fat burning fires stoked and to prevent hitting the wall.

You will also need to be fueled up before a strength training workout since an even greater percentage of the fuel for strength training is carb based. And, after a workout, you will want to replenish your glycogen stores so that you don't run low during the day.

Sounds like you'll be eating all day, huh...well, to a degree, you will. A good plan is to eat every 3 or so hours to avoid low blood sugar, which leads to the breakdown of muscle mass, and just plain feeling cranky. But, this doesn't have to mean that you eat more calories--just that you have to allot them differently than the traditional three meals a day.

Signs of overtraining from a nutritional standpoint include sypmtoms of low blood sugar, loss of muscle size, a slight but noticible increase in body fat even though you are eating the same number of calories. Signs of overtraining from a physical performance standpoint is the lack of response to strength training, fatigue, high resting heart rate, joint pain, and a general dread of the workout.

It sounds complex, but it is really simple once you get into the routine of it!
Maribeth

Question for Maribeth re: working out on an empty stomach...I get up at 5:30 and have to work out right away to make it through the rest of the chaotic morning (kids to school etc.). Is a small glass of juice enough before a workout? I do eat throughout the day the rest of the time, every 2-3 hours, and I have a protein shake with some carbs in it (banana, flax seeds) right after working out.

The last thing I want to do is be burning my own muscle!!

Christine

Christine,
A small glass of juice is the perfect solution for people who exercise early in the morning and don't have time for or can't stomach food at that time.
Maribeth

RE: signs of overtraining

Hi, I too have been interested and trying to "refuel" properly. Maribeth said orange juice is a good snack and I like it. I am nutritionally stupid....is oj high in carbs? Also, what else is a good "snack" high in carbs, but not so called fattening? I have read BodyRX and like the idea, but I also love to eat so I am trying it a little at a time. I have tried to add fiber to my life by adding FiberOne cereal to what I eat. That stuff is like eating hay.(but I am doing it anyway) As far as protein goes I bought some powder to mix shakes with and I have been drinking it, but it only adds 14g of protein per shake. Also I feel like trying to get all this protein in is going to add up calorie wise. I have been eating scrambled eggs every morning for the past week so maybe that helps. I am forcing myself to eat cottage cheese (yuck). HELP Does anyone have any good ideas? I feel like I am eating all day and I am working out with Cathe every day so I don't want all my hard work to show as fat from eating all day. I guess my question is Am I doing this right?

Sorry I rambled,
Christi

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.