Times per week to spin

taterkc

Cathlete
Hi all
For those who do spin workouts, how often do you do That kind of workout per week?

Just got a spinner from Sears and Cathe's three cycle workouts and love it!! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember losing a lot of weight during my spin days. Everyone who were regulars in the class did. We were all just shrinking, especially the guys. But we were so hooked on it, we were there almost every day doing 45 minutes and on weekends the gym catered to us and had 90 minute spin classes.
That being said, we were smaller versions of the same body type cuz it was all cardio.

I remember losing a lot of weight during my spin days. Everyone who were regulars in the class did. We were all just shrinking, especially the guys. But we were so hooked on it, we were there almost every day doing 45 minutes and on weekends the gym catered to us and had 90 minute spin classes.
That being said, we were smaller versions of the same body type cuz it was all cardio.

Interesting comment, Cupcake. I was spinning 5 to 6 days per week a couple of years ago, and I GAINED weight. I also noticed that the body composition of all the regulars in my classes didn't change ONE bit. As we age, overdoing the cardio can backfire by catabolizing the lean muscle tissue. Here's an excerpt from one of Cathe's blog posts on this topic:

Cardio overkill is a common problem, especially for women. Visit a gym and you usually see more men pumping iron while women are staking out the cardio machines. Don’t follow the crowd. There’s a smarter option. Devote at least as much time to strength-training as you do to cardio – and maybe more. Cardio won’t change the shape of your body. It may help with weight loss, assuming you watch your diet, at least until your body adapts to the stress of the cardio you’re doing. Most research shows steady-state exercise doesn’t lead to appreciable fat loss. Plus, long periods of cardio and calorie restriction leads to loss of metabolically-active muscle tissue. Ultimately, that works against you when your metabolism slows in response. Don’t make strength-training an afterthought. Make it the primary focus if you want to see real change in how your body looks.

http://cathe.com/5-common-cardiovascular-training-mistakes-to-avoid

My biggest problem is that my hormones are slightly unbalanced, and this seems to be a common problem for many as we age. I had to modify my diet in order to lose the unwanted pounds, and now I focus more on lifting than I do on cardio. Spinning is an exhilarating workout, and it's fun, but I personally wouldn't do it more than twice per week. Keep your body guessing and mix things up, but don't forget about the weights. They really do matter. Just my two cents. ;)

I guess it depends. I saw the 45 year old guy lose so much he went from overweight to lanky in just a few months. But like you said, it could be a lot of catabolism but back then when Spinning was really popular it was very hard not to get hooked on it and the music. We used to leave the room all drenched and get stared at by the people out in the general areas as we hobbled to the showers.
Certainly it wasn't the best way to change your body composition, like I mentioned,we just became smaller versions not toned or built ...except we did have the quads from the hill work and jumps. But I don't think you would expect too much muscle building from extensive cardio.

I do, on average within a month, spin once per week:)
It's because I like to vary the type of my cardio workout.

That being said When I started I was spinning twice.

Ps @complik8td spot on!

Last edited:
My biggest problem is that my hormones are slightly unbalanced, and this seems to be a common problem for many as we age. I had to modify my diet in order to lose the unwanted pounds, and now I focus more on lifting than I do on cardio. Spinning is an exhilarating workout, and it's fun, but I personally wouldn't do it more than twice per week. Keep your body guessing and mix things up, but don't forget about the weights. They really do matter. Just my two cents. ;)

Trying to recoup poor diet by working out long dreaded cardio session is a mistake!:):)
Diet, Diet and Diet in the kitchen:)

Trying to recoup poor diet by working out long dreaded cardio session is a mistake!:):)
Diet, Diet and Diet in the kitchen:)

Nathalie, I just want to be clear that I did not have a "poor" diet. I tried veganism for a couple of years. What I discovered was that I was eating too many carbs from all the grains and the fruit. I'm such a clean eater that most people think I'm crazy! The only "processed" food I eat now is protein powder, and a super clean one at that. My metabolism concerns are related to my hormones, as I have found out. As you get older, these things change. :(

I guess it depends. I saw the 45 year old guy lose so much he went from overweight to lanky in just a few months. But like you said, it could be a lot of catabolism but back then when Spinning was really popular it was very hard not to get hooked on it and the music. We used to leave the room all drenched and get stared at by the people out in the general areas as we hobbled to the showers.
Certainly it wasn't the best way to change your body composition, like I mentioned,we just became smaller versions not toned or built ...except we did have the quads from the hill work and jumps. But I don't think you would expect too much muscle building from extensive cardio.

I got totally hooked on spinning too, Cupcake!! The music, the ride, the energy in the room.... it's an incredible high. :) We all left the room drenched in sweat too, but what a great feeling. I also like the endurance leg work you get with spinning, which is great. I'm almost 57. My hormones have changed so much over the last 10 years. :(

Nathalie, I just want to be clear that I did not have a "poor" diet. I tried veganism for a couple of years. What I discovered was that I was eating too many carbs from all the grains and the fruit. I'm such a clean eater that most people think I'm crazy! The only "processed" food I eat now is protein powder, and a super clean one at that. My metabolism concerns are related to my hormones, as I have found out. As you get older, these things change. :(

Sorry Carole---I apologise my post came across as I was referring directly to your Diet. I tried , unsuccessfully;) to point out
the importance of nutrition. Many time, I noticed, fitness enthusiast tend to blame exercise program and/or
specific eating choices for a weight gain. How many time have I read on here post claiming hypertrophy cause fat gain!!
I also read protein powder cause fat gain. If I stop eating Clean and stop my exercise routine, OF COURSE I will gain fat and weight.
Trust me it happened to me last year when I was travelling for work. AS SOON AS I resumed my routine and restarted cooking clean.
All the fat came off, Yes it is fat coming off cause my trousers feel very loose. I now weight slightly less than when I started travelling.

It is what went through My mouth that made me gain the fat.
Not my beloved meso2:mad:;););)

By no mean I meant to quote it was your case. carole:):)
My post aimed atcommenting elements listed on cathe's article.
http://cathe.com/5-common-cardiovascular-training-mistakes-to-avoid
Hope this is clear No offense intended.:):)

Last edited:
No worries, Nathalie. I didn't take any offense. I just wanted to state for the record that I am an extremely clean eater. I'm obsessed about what I eat! I make all my own meals from scratch using fresh, whole, natural ingredients. I actually began an academic holistic nutrition program this year. I took my first class and then had to go on medical leave due to the need to have tennis elbow surgery. I'll be starting my academics again in another month. I enrolled in the program not so much to go into practice, but more so because I wanted to learn the true science behind nutrition. I've learned a lot on my own over the last five years, but I want to acquire the knowledge from an official program. I don't preach my nutritional beliefs to anyone, but should someone ask me about something, I'm glad to help. :)

Glad you are not offended Carole. I have read many posts of yours and they have been inspirational.

I will certainly come to you with question, I should quote thread about nutrition cause I love discussing nutrition and/or
TRAINING with someone who talk/discuss science:):):) I am definitely on the same page on that:)

Hi all
For those who do spin workouts, how often do you do That kind of workout per week?

Just got a spinner from Sears and Cathe's three cycle workouts and love it!! Thanks

I love spinning class. My 11 yo started this year with me. I vary instructors. Some more cardio/sprinting...some more strength with hills, etc. We go at least 2x per week.

You might want to check out Studio Sweat on Demand. They offer monthly subscriptions and have various classes that are straight spinning/ spin and sculpt/ spin and TRX etc. That way you have variety and less chance of overuse injuries. I found when I was spinning 3-4 times/ week my hip flexors started bothering me. You don't want to be spinning so much you have no time for your resistance training. They also offer a free trial offer to get you hooked lol!
Jamie

I spin twice per week. Several years ago I used to do more (4-5X per week) but I was losing muscle mass and didn't have enough "zip" for productive weight workouts.

My other workouts right now are weights (3X per week), Karate (4X per week) and yoga/foam rolling/stretch recovery sessions when I can fit them in. I am pretty happy with this balance. I have been injury free for over a year now (a great accomplishment for someone with a 35-year history of exercise related and overuse injuries, including shin splints, torn ACL, broken bone, rotator cuff issues, tennis elbow, plantar fasciitis, back pain and torn Achilles tendon) and my cardio fitness & muscular strength are as good as they've ever been. At 54 years old I am maintaining my weight on about 2,500 calories per day.

Stebby

Thanks for the feedback all! This really helps. It's becoming addictive so I'll try to limit it to 1-2 times a week and do other cardio and weights on other days. So when does my butt stop hurting from the cycle seat!? Lol!

Thanks for the feedback all! This really helps. It's becoming addictive so I'll try to limit it to 1-2 times a week and do other cardio and weights on other days. So when does my butt stop hurting from the cycle seat!? Lol!

Have you got a gel seat cover? It does help.
After few rides you should be fine:):) with your butt.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.