Thyroid dysfunction and reducing cardio workouts

ChelePA

Cathlete
I won't go into all the detail, but basically I started a low carb diet because I was showing signs of glucose intolerance. I was always a very high carb diet, normal weight despite this. When I changed my diet, I lost 15 pounds quickly. I haven't had my period since that time (5 months ago). I am 43 years old. Of course, my doc did tons of lab work and it came back showing hypothyroid. No real symptoms despite the numbers. Everything I read is that if you have a sluggish thyroid, high-intense cardio workouts are not good. I feel the best I ever have but if these numbers don't improve, I am looking at medication. Anyone else in this boat? I only exercise 30-45 min per day but I was told to cut back to 2-3 days per week. On a positive note, my glucose numbers and A1C look fantastic.

I've been hypothyroid for over 20 yrs. and on meds. I workout everyday for 60 to 90 min. Dr. Oz is supposed to talk about the thyroid today on his show, according to Facebook. Are you getting enough iodine in your diet, that alone may help you without meds.

What helped me was a good multi with selenium (such as Thorne 2 a day). Or 2-3 Brazil nuts per day (a good source of selenium). And adrenal health supplements such as Gaia Adrenal Health and Now American Ginseng.

I've been hypothyroid for almost ten years. I workout six days a week, at least an hour a day, longer on the weekends. Good multi vitamin is essential.

Last edited:
"Everything I read is that if you have a sluggish thyroid, high-intense cardio workouts are not good. I feel the best I ever have"

First, this recommendation would seem contradictory to me: boosting that sluggishness would seem exactly what is needed. Secondly, go with your own knowledge abut your body, always. Books, websites and the medical profession will always say one thing, and that may be pertinent to the majority of the population, but not to absolutely every single person and her body. Also, here's your evidence: you feel better than ever!!

Clare

Agreed about listening to your body!
This is tangential to the topic, but I thought it warranted mentioning because there's been some discussion of coconut oil on the forums recently: coconut oil is supposed to be outstanding for hypothyroidism. Of course, plenty of doctors say it's a bunch of naturopathic baloney and plenty of natural foods folks say it's the ultimate remedy. For what it's worth.

Don't know who the author of the article is, but I would only believe what he says is true if I read it as the conclusions of a scientific article. However, the comments supplied by other readers, at the end, sure are interesting.

Two misconceptions which form the premise of this article:

1) all women work out ONLY to lose fat

2) women who run ONLY do so to lose fat/weight, and for NO OTHER REASON.

Yes, the author was contemptuous.

Clare

I've been hypothyroid for many, many years and on supplementation. I have never been told to cut back on working out nor have I ever read that it was appropriate to do so. I had a problem a few months ago when my doc increased the dose of my Synthroid based on a lab test. After about a month of being on the higher dose, any level of activity would cause my heart rate to go sky high. Turns out I had become hyperthyroid which is a dangerous condition. I stopped taking any supplementation for a few days and went back to the doc who lowered the dose and tested again which confirmed the need to reduce the dose. Working out at a high intensity could be dangerous in a hyperthyroid state because of the higher heart rate.

Don't know who the author of the article is, but I would only believe what he says is true if I read it as the conclusions of a scientific article. However, the comments supplied by other readers, at the end, sure are interesting.

Two misconceptions which form the premise of this article:

1) all women work out ONLY to lose fat

2) women who run ONLY do so to lose fat/weight, and for NO OTHER REASON.

Yes, the author was contemptuous.

Clare

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

"DH Kiefer is a Physicist turned nutrition and performance scientist. He’s been researching, testing and verifying what hard science proves as fact for over two decades and applied the results to record-holding power lifters, top ranking aesthetic athletes, MMA fighters and even fortune 500 CEOs. He’s the author of two dietary manuals, The Carb Nite® Solution and Carb Back-Loading™, and the free exercise manual Shockwave Protocol™. He’s currently considered one of the industry’s leading experts on human metabolism and plans to stay there. He’s a featured writer in every issue of FLEX and Power Magazine. You can learn more about him at www.dangerouslyhardcore.com. "

His background is quite impressive! I quite like how direct and to the point he is, but maybe too harsh for some people. I know what he wrote was my story at one point. I would swim for an hour and then come home starving and eat almost everything in sight. After giving up most cardio and carbs, I feel much better! I'm even losing weight. The only things I do for exercise are walking (everyday), weights, sprints or hiit intervals once a week.

I really appreciate everyone's responses. I was able to catch the Dr. Oz show as well. I am going to really look into all the suggestions and information. It's been frustrating because I made so many healthy dietary and lifestyle changes to now have some thyroid/hormonal issues.

I've been doing Kiefer's carb nite solution for about two months now. Absolutely love this eating plan. No more belly. No more hunger.

Karen

Karen, and anyone else who's done carbnite, the name makes it sound as though it's a low carb plan with one night a week carb-fest. I'm sure there's more to it than that, but is that essentially the idea?

That's it. Low carbs six days a week. Then pick your carb nite and knock yourself out. We're talking chocolate cake. bagels, spaghetti and meatballs, muffins, nothing off limits. But you do need to limit your carbonated caffeine drinks. (Coke, Pepsi, etc.) So far, so good for me. My belly disappeared. He does have a website. Explains it all. http://official.thecarbnitesolution.org/

Last edited:
I really appreciate everyone's responses. I was able to catch the Dr. Oz show as well. I am going to really look into all the suggestions and information. It's been frustrating because I made so many healthy dietary and lifestyle changes to now have some thyroid/hormonal issues.

What my Dr told me was this: Avoid FASTED Intense Cardio... The stress response to the adrenals is much greater doing HiiT or intense intervals in a fasted state (8+ hrs without nutrients) I changed that and make sure I eat selenium rich foods daily and in about 6 months the issues cleared up.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.