This makes me sick!

It's not children "these days". I tried to commit suicide at 15 because of school bullying. I was bullied my entire life until I graduated high school, but this particular school's level of bullying drove me to the edge. I'm 39 now, so this has been going on a long time. None of the schools did anything about the bullying, before or after my attempt. Of course, neither did my mother, who once told me that I deserved to be bullied because people were right not to like me.

No words to say but ((((((((morningstar))))))))

It's so sad that so many "grown up" enable this kind of behavior. The school is at fault and the parents are very at fault. They should be ashamed of themselves and their children. What needs to happen, is that we need to begin holding parents accountable for the actions of their minor children. If parents weren't so checked out of their kids lives, this kind of stuff wouldn't happen as often (unfortunately, it will never go away). Problem also is, some of these kids are just emulating their parents behavior. It's a very sad society we've "evolved" to. I do wonder if this is an American thing, or if this problem is as severe in other countries.

It's not children "these days". I tried to commit suicide at 15 because of school bullying. I was bullied my entire life until I graduated high school, but this particular school's level of bullying drove me to the edge. I'm 39 now, so this has been going on a long time. None of the schools did anything about the bullying, before or after my attempt. Of course, neither did my mother, who once told me that I deserved to be bullied because people were right not to like me.

That is so sad. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

It's so sad that so many "grown up" enable this kind of behavior. The school is at fault and the parents are very at fault. They should be ashamed of themselves and their children. What needs to happen, is that we need to begin holding parents accountable for the actions of their minor children. If parents weren't so checked out of their kids lives, this kind of stuff wouldn't happen as often (unfortunately, it will never go away). Problem also is, some of these kids are just emulating their parents behavior. It's a very sad society we've "evolved" to. I do wonder if this is an American thing, or if this problem is as severe in other countries.

I totally agree. I think parents either are not involved or they just think that their kid could do no wrong. Nowadays video games, tv, cell phones, and internet are kids babysitters and role models not parents. :( When I was picking up my son and daughter from Spring Camp yesterday I heard a 6 year old tell my daughter to "f" off.

Sending you hugs. Reading this just made me soo sad.

Disgusting.

Disgusting. It also happens with adults too.

Social networking has a dark side.

I was flamed and photos of myself and my daughter were posted at the Firm Ya Yas by a "moderator" of a Forum.

I was called a nut job, etc. My daughter was ridiculed.

The portion of the Ya Yas where this was posted was closed to most individuals.

Someone here made me aware of this behavior because it was so lame.

I admit to being a bid "odd" but that is not the point.

It really upset me that someone would take a photo of me and my daughter and post it with the sole intention being ridicule.

Say what you want about me, but leave children alone and Grow Up!

There have been too many sad stories about adults helping ridicule teenagers leading to suicide.

I have a pretty good idea of who did this to me, but I am not 100% sure. If it is the person I suspect, they acted like a friend to me and then did this.

Last edited:
I am a teacher. Do not accuse ALL of us of neglect to the bullying problem. I was bullied, apparently many of us were. It is not acceptable. We are reqiured to teach a social skills program on top of the content we have to cover. It does not work. I have 27 students under my watch. Kids are very sneaky. I blame the parents for not teaching social skills. Why would we have to teach them in school.......because some parents are not doing it.

I do know that the very well behaved/kind students in my class have parent involvement.

I watch for bullying and am required by the law to report it.

This situation is so terribly unfortunate. Someone wasn't doing their job.

I do feel that teachers have a lot on their plate. It is not our fault. I am tired of being demonized by the public. Walk a day in my shoes.

Hugs to you, Morningstar. I attempted suicide at 12 for the same reason. But what is going on is not bullying. It's ABUSE. Verbal, physical and sometimes sexual abuse. Until we start calling it what it is, it will continue to be largely ignored. Too many people see "bullying" as some sort of rite of passage when it's really abusive behavior.

The school district here has a zero tolerance policy for violence and "bullying". A few weeks ago a kid threw 2 pencils at my son (age 11) and the kid was suspended for a week.

I am a teacher. Do not accuse ALL of us of neglect to the bullying problem. I was bullied, apparently many of us were. It is not acceptable. We are reqiured to teach a social skills program on top of the content we have to cover. It does not work. I have 27 students under my watch. Kids are very sneaky. I blame the parents for not teaching social skills. Why would we have to teach them in school.......because some parents are not doing it.

I do know that the very well behaved/kind students in my class have parent involvement.

I watch for bullying and am required by the law to report it.

This situation is so terribly unfortunate. Someone wasn't doing their job.

I do feel that teachers have a lot on their plate. It is not our fault. I am tired of being demonized by the public. Walk a day in my shoes.

Gloria I don't think that I was accusing ALL teachers of neglecting the bullying problem. What disturbed me about this story is that from what I understood some of the teachers as well as the principal of the school were aware of what was happening and even spoke to the people involved. I just think that the ball was dropped somewhere. This poor girl was a recent immigrant and her parents too it would have been a good idea for the school to monitor this situation more closely, esp if supposed rape was involved. I'm not excusing the parents but it really truly could have been a cultural reason for why the parents were not more pro active.
I agree that teachers have a ton on their plate but I know the teachers that I know have nothing but my respet and admiration for all the hard work that they do.

Last edited:
Janie1234,

I wrote my post after a long day, and no, you were not blaming ALL teachers. IA that the media is saying the school officials knew, and that is not okay. Your point about the cultural difference with the parents is a good one. Thanks for the nice words. How I do my job is important to me, that is why I may have come off a little harsh. The parents and the school should be working together. Bullying must be taken seriously.

Janie1234,

I wrote my post after a long day, and no, you were not blaming ALL teachers. IA that the media is saying the school officials knew, and that is not okay. Your point about the cultural difference with the parents is a good one. Thanks for the nice words. How I do my job is important to me, that is why I may have come off a little harsh. The parents and the school should be working together. Bullying must be taken seriously.

Hey Gloria, . . no biggie, . . your post just shows what a great teacher you must be. You have passion and take pride in the work that you do. That is not something you find in everyone. I can imagine that being a teacher can be thankless job, . . almost like being a mom :eek: BUT teachers make such an impact in the future of our children. They help educate and prepare them for their jobs in the future. My kids have looked up to all their teachers and come teacher appreciation day I make sure to go all out. We all just have to work together. Have a great day and thanks for your post. :)

But what is going on is not bullying. It's ABUSE. Verbal, physical and sometimes sexual abuse. Until we start calling it what it is, it will continue to be largely ignored. Too many people see "bullying" as some sort of rite of passage when it's really abusive behavior.

I agree with bonvivant. The actions that prompted this thread, and the recent journalism on "bullying", make me feel that to label this conduct as "bullying" minimizes the conduct. It sure looks more like legally actionable harassment, threats (sometimes terroristic threats) and assault to me. If this took place in a working environment or other adult environment, people would be fired or jailed. This is some dark, dark stuff going on.

A-Jock

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.