Thinking about running .

merrybaker

Cathlete
Hi I'm 43 have never ever been a runner . Thinking about trying it . Have NO idea how to get started . Any pointers ? I was just going to measure a mile and do it ,then stretch. Shoes, Do I need special ones ? Any help would be great . Thanks in advance .:) :) :)

When I started running, I didn't look for advice.Which probably wouldn't have hurt, mostly b/c I didn't know ANYONE who ran.I just used running shoes and listened to my body.
Of course, you need to take it slow.I know that alot of people have success with the run for one minute, walk for two.They had a few running programs in my town and alot of women benefited from it.People around here, sort of screw up their nose when they find out you workout but then they are the first ones to sign up for stuff (jealous, but thats a different thread:) )
My suggestions would be:
Start slow-20 min maybe
Go to a store specalizing in shoes and let them help you with what kind of shoe you need.Chances are, your foot needs certain support that you can't see yourself.Make sure the shoe is a 1/2 size bigger then you need b/c you will lose your toe nails:eek:
Do the walk/run.Listen to your body and increasing your running when you think you can.
Good Luck, I am sure you will get lots of great advice.
Lori:)

Hi Mary!

I recently started running myself. I have run before, but not for quite a while. Lori gave you great advice. You definitely need good running shoes and I second the recommendation that you go to a specialty store and get your foot measured. It will save you much pain and frustration down the road.

As for how to begin your training, there are some great websites with loads of information on beginning runner programs. Check these out:

www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

www.runnersworld.com

Also, I have a book called The Complete Book of Running for Women by Claire Kowalchik. It too has has a great beginner training program plus lots of advice geared towards women and running.

Like Lori said, do the walk/run. Even if you are an advanced exerciser already, running is so different. If you do too much too soon you could end up burned out or worse yet injured. Make sure to listen to your body and don't do more even if you think you can.

Good luck with your program!

:D Nicole

I just want to second (or third I guess!) what's already been said, check out these websites and get fitted for running shoes.

I started out running first and THEN found these websites where I found information out that would have helped me in my early days.

(edit for typo)

Wow....and I thought I could help, but you have some great sites and great advice. I have run forever it seems but mostly distance now (marathons & 50K's). I am 46 and prefer trails also as it is easier on the body! Most important is the advice on getting GOOD shoes. Most people get injured as they being because they get cheap shoes. Good luck and let us know how it goes...:)...Carole

I am so glad you posted this Mary, because I am thinking of incorporating running into my fitness routine.

Good shoes... hmmmmm... I think I will be making a trip to the city. Any advice to insure I am getting a proper fit???? I'll check out the sites mentioned, but I'll take all words of wisdom. Carole, I was thinking of trails to be kind to my grumpy knees. We live in a rural area... lots of unpaved hills. :) My knees may not allow me to run for long, but I won't know until I try.

Autumn

Hi Autumn...congrats on your decision to start running. It is a great sport. I wish I had time to do it more.

Getting a good fit is tough because we are so individual - but select a specialized (or running) store, as someone stated, that measures your foot (overpronation/underpronation) and can watch you run a few steps in them. Also, most running stores will let you run in shoes for a good month or so and take them back if you don't like them or if they blister/hurt your feet.

Also, get a good book on runner's stretching. When I started running, I had terrible knee problems. A chiropractor taught me how to stretch my hips, and I never had knee pain again! So, get all of this good stuff and start of on the right foot (pun intended!)

I know Runner's World magazine usually does a shoe review a few times a year, and it's very thorough. Right down to which shoes are best if you overpronate or underpronate (in other words, favour the inside or outside of your foot when you stand/run). If you want a good shoe, you're better off to go to a store geared to running and now some big box sports store, because they'll have a better understanding of what you need.

When I started off, I knew nothing. I was out walking the dog one night and just thought "hey, I'm gonna run!". So I ran as far as I could until I couldn't breathe, walked a bit to get my breath and did it again. It wasn't ideal, but it got me started and THEN I did some investigating and research.

Enjoy! Running is awesome. Especially if you're lucky enough to be close to trails:)

I see alot of you are close to trails or live in rural areas. Keep in mind there are different shoes for trail running. I don't have any yet myself (though I plan to get some soon) so I can't tell you all the differences, but just wanted you to know they are out there. If you go to a good running shoe store they should ask you where you do most of your running, so they can help you pick the right shoe.

Good Luck All! It's so fun to see all the new runners! And I must say it's really keeping up my motivation!

:) Nicole

Mary, I did this program my mom found in Prevention magazine. It was awesome. I did the entire 12 weeks. I missed a week or two during the hurricanes. (I live in Florida), but caught right back up. I would highly reccomend it. I was never a runner before, but I can run now. I am still a beginner, but this program works. Running is great for the soul and the thighs. :)

http://www.prevention.com/article/0,5778,s1-2-92-181-3878-1,00.html?

There are 3 pages to this article. Have fun running. :)

Lori

Autumn...trails are great...:)...I have over the years tried many trail shoes. I normally stuck with Adidas until it seemed their trail shoes changed, got to narrow??...or something. My last 50K I used a new shoe from Montrail. No sore toes and I absolutely loved them even without much running in them before my long run last weekend. Needless to say, I am sold. I found mine very inexpensive and $30 cheaper than our local store at this site of you are interested http://www.backcountry.com/ ...:)...Carole

Do it, Mary. You might just fall in love. Shoes are the most important thing! Check out http://www.roadrunnersports.com. They can help you with your foot type and the correct type of running shoe. There's more than one! I love Reebok and New Balance runners.
Bobbi http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif "Chick's rule!"

Maturity is the ability to do a job whether or not you are supervised, to carry money without spending it, and to bear an injustice without wanting to get even.

-Ann Landers

I run now on ocassion. I have a good pair of running shoes and I always start off slow, never fast. It seems like once I get passed a certain mark, my breathing becomes more stable as I am not gasping for air as I do when I start out. Starting out is so hard for me and I have to motivate myself that I can keep going.
I can only run on ocassion because running irritates my knees and my hips get so sore so I have to allow my body to rest a few days before I do any lower body workouts.

Charlotte~~

I run now on ocassion. I have a good pair of running shoes and I always start off slow, never fast. It seems like once I get passed a certain mark, my breathing becomes more stable as I am not gasping for air as I do when I start out. Starting out is so hard for me and I have to motivate myself that I can keep going.
I can only run on ocassion because running irritates my knees and my hips get so sore so I have to allow my body to rest a few days before I do any lower body workouts.

Charlotte~~

HI!

I just wanted to say that I love running!! Go for it!!! Everyone has given you great advice.
:7 :7 :7

Beverly

Thanks for the info and advice! The weather is sooooo nice that I want to start now!! I am waiting until I get my shoes though, and I might not have waited if Mary hadn't started this thread.

Thanks everyone!

I guess something must be in the air because I have been thinking about starting to run on a regular basis. I've done some running in the past, but it has been very sporadic. I signed up for a running class at the local running specialty store in the town next to me. The class meets together for a group run, and then there are lectures about various topics following. I am so excited! It starts in two weeks - hopefully the snow wil be gone by then! Depending on how this goes, I might consider training for a race in the fall - perhaps a half marathon?! I don't want to bite off more than I can chew!

Tracy

Tracy,

That is exactly how I started running! I was working in Seattle, and I started running just to take in the beautiful scenery (and drop a few pounds). Well, not knowing what I was doing, I lost the pounds, hurt all the time - so I decided to join a clinic to learn the right way to run. I joined USAFit. They have a website with clinics all over the country. They teach you how to run, stretch, eat, buy shoes, etc. They even sent us encouragign emails with motiavtion from some of the most influential people in the world who are also "runners". 6 months later, I completed my first marathon!

Enjoy yourself!!
Joy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.