The thing about yoga that drives me nuts!

Carolyn B

Cathlete
Every once in a while I decide that I really need to do yoga. I have never enjoyed it, but somehow I think I should do it in addition to cardio, weights and stretching.

So....I drag out one of my DVDs and pop it in the player. The things they tell you to do drive me nuts!!! - including

- telling me to pull in my "side ribs" - what on Earth are side ribs???
- telling me to relax my upper thighs - and how exactly do you do that???
- and my favorite - leading me into "mountain pose." When I get into the pose they tell me do I realize - it's also known as STANDING UP!!!

Guess I just have a bad attitude about yoga! :D Anyone else?

OMG ! How hilarious! Especially the comment about mountain pose! ROFLMAO~

I think yoga is nice for calming, really I do, but I never "got it". I am glad I am not alone in this. What is the craze all about? I do, however, find nice results with Pilates, which are somewhat similar to yoga (sort of).

LOL That's how I used to feel about Shiva Rea!!! My first experience with yoga was with the X. Then I tried Shiva and Eoin Finn. Eoin is a bit out there too, but at least I could semi understand him. Now, that I've been doing yoga more consistantly, my body awareness has increased. I'm amazed that I can understand/decipher Shiva now.:eek::D

Everyone gets something different or nothing at all out of yoga. Initially, it was strength doing power heated yoga. Depending on my intention now, it's stamina or relaxation, body awareness, focused breath, or balance through stretching restricted areas, strengthing weaker muscles.

Wendy

Carolyn,

Thanks for the smile. :)

I love Yoga, but I have to agree about the strange lingo.

I actually like the form pointers. I have no idea where my side ribs are either but most of the time I do get something out of such instructions.

The best way to learn yoga in my opinion is live with a good teacher. A pose feels so much better when you do it right. By doing it right I dont mean achieving an extreme range of motion - but of placing the right emphasis on twisting/flexing/relaxing the right body parts.

Clarissa, Pilates is derived from yoga (and other influences) so there are a lot of overlaps. For some reason I never got into pilates. I click with yoga.

too funny!

I try to get into yoga every now and again...the first time I went to an actual yoga class was when I was an NP student and I was spending some time with the Ornish program (for people with heart disease hoping to prevent and possibly reverse damage). Part of the program is relaxation therapy and stretching...therefore I participated fully in a yoga class with mainly 70 year old men who were surprisingly flexible...thank goodness I wasn't far from my cheerleading days and was quite flexible yet...as I was easing into the fish pose, I couldn't help but think about how much teasing I would get for not being as flexible as these guys...
I guess I need to learn to get past my ADDishness...I just like to bounce or use power!
julie

I have a total love/hate relationship with yoga. Every now and then I'll have a burst of affection for it but often just find it tedious. I try to do it at least once a week though.

I think the instructions are designed to get you to think about or focus on a particular area. Like if i think about side ribs, I think and focus on my ribs on the side. The thinking about the area helps to focus the pose in that area. Like anything else with yoga there is a learning curve. For me yoga has really helped with tightness and stiffness that cause pain. I also think yoga instructor preference, just like everything else, is very individual. I tried Eoinn Finn and really didn't like his yoga, even though many many many folks do. If it doesn't work for you, don't do it. Or research and find an instructor that clicks for you.

P.S. - I also don't find yoga very exciting and I would rather just do step or go to spin class everyday, but alas, the body isn't willing, and flexibility is a huge part of keeping fit.

*runs out of thread screaming* Arghhh...I despise yoga, it puts me to sleep and irritates my body and mind. See? The opposite of what it is supposed to do for you...

:D

Yoga and I "click." I can't explain why though. I think because I tend to like meditative behavior, and yoga fits that bill nicely for me.

The vernacular is pretty entertaining sometimes. The attention to body alignment ~ right down to the pinky toe ~ can be intense.

I have several Yoga workouts that I try to do every so often and I feel the same way. I wish I could get into it more. I think part of it is that it moves too slow for me and I am a hyper person. Oh well.

Joanne

Yoga clicks with me too. There are SO MANY varieties... vinyasa, astanga, kundalini, iyengar, kriplu, etc... each with a different intent and meaning. Plus, you have the differences inherent in the teaching styles of each instructor. I highly recommend live classes for anyone starting out, before reaching for the dvds. A certified instructor can really be sure the pose is working for your body.

And for all you weight lifters out there: I've gotten just as many DOMS from yoga than I have from lifting. Plus, being flexible is IMO just as important as being strong (the lower back pain I used to have has virtually disappeared after increasing my yoga practices).

Anyway, just my two cents! And as far as the names of some of the poses... most of them make me smile: happy baby, for instance. Or cow face (love that one).

Namaste!

I'm another one who finds yoga a bit tedious :p . Luckily, I was told by my physical therapist that I probably shouldn't do it because of a severe neck issue, although that was about 10 years ago and I probably could do it if I really wanted to. ;) :D

But the big question I have is, what's up with those goofy names!? Is having a weird name some sort of a requirement for a yoga instructor? Shiva!? Rainbeau!? That goofy spelling for Ian!? I remember the first time I saw the name Eionn I had NO CLUE how to pronounce it. LOL!!!

Love yoga and there was a time in my life where I did it twice a day--a.m & p.m. Now I don't practice as often but every time I do I wonder why I don't do yoga more often. There are so many different schools and instructors. I am always amazed at the workout I get and how I feel afterwards--strong but flexible and stretched. Yoga can incorporate cardio, strength and flexibility.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.