The Side "Stitch"

morgs

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

Wanted to start by telling you that I've been working out with you for over 2 years now and am in the best shape of my life. Gotta tell ya quick that last week I went to the bank and literally had all the gals behind the counter wanting to know all about how I am in such good shape, what I eat and , how I work out. I drove them all to this web site and told them 'start ordering' and 'start eating clean' and the results are guaranteed. Now to my question:
Really a 'non-emergency' question if you will, but I've always wanted to know why or what I am possibly doing ( wrong ) to end up with that annoying little pain in the side when I am doing high intensity cardio ( such as Hi/Lo in SJP or some of the blasts in Imax2 like 'airbornes' and 'plyos'.) Most call it a 'side stitch' but quite often, I'll be in the middle of a cardio work out such as the two above and end up with that pain in the side that sort of feels like a pulled muscle. Once I stop, stretch ,walk it out for a bit, it seems to disappear. That , however really bums me out because I have to interrupt my work out to 'walk it off'. I am wondering, since I fuel up with some peanut butter and whole wheat crackers and/or a bannana before my work out, is it because I am eating too much before my work outs , OR is it because I am not stretching correctly? It seriously ONLY happens when I am doing the 'aerobic' style working out like Hi/Lo in SJP, and the blasts in Kick Max, Bootcamp, and etc. I know you're busy , but if you happen to catch this one, please advise. And thank you for helping me keep things tight !! ;)

Morgan

I'm a marathon runner, and I've noticed that whenever I eat peanut butter or bananas before I start a run, I get a side stitch too, so I avoid them. I also have noticed that if I burp, it tends to go away. I've read several running books and articles on the topic, and it appears no one can say for sure what actually causes it. I'm only able to say what causes it for me.

I always get "the stitch" if I eat before cardio so as long as I do it on an empty stomach I'm golden! I'm an early bird so it works really well for me!
Good luck!

I have also read that being dehydrated will make it happen too. I found this to be definitely true when I went out to run, knowing I hadn't drank enough water prior, but not wanting to drink right before the run. Immediately, almost, it happened. Lesson learned...and I was mad at myself because I knew all along I had not consumed enough water that day. I have also read to take deep breaths to and not breathe shallowly.

the dreaded stitch

I get it when I drink too much water just before or during running :(
I can manage a few small sips, but that is it. Forget eating! I mostly carry water when running for my dog (a 35lb sheltie who needs water breaks every 3 miles or so)

Cindy

Side Stitch help

Thanks everyone for your input on this . Like I said, sort of a minimal thing to ask about, but still annoying. You're all right though ! Over the weekend I did Bootcamp ( Friday ) I Max2 Saturday, and Kick Max Sunday : I did not have anything to eat or drink right before working out and did not get a side cramp at all. ( I do however, had to stop and get some sips of water during I max2, ) BUT that was not enough to make a differance.
Guess I'll have to save the PB and crackers for a late mid-afternoon snack !!!

Thanks again all !

All advice is welcome and appreciated.

Hi! My DD would get side stitches when she was on the track team. I googled this and found a few articles that say to breath like you r blowing out Birthday candles. She tried this and it worked for her. i also run and, knock wood, I do not get side stitches... Good luck:)

Side Sitch

Hi! My DD would get side stitches when she was on the track team. I googled this and found a few articles that say to breath like you r blowing out Birthday candles. She tried this and it worked for her. i also run and, knock wood, I do not get side stitches... Good luck:)

I'm glad that I cheked in. I have another cardio work out scheduled for tonight .
( KPC,,,that high intensity segment can really get me going on the side cramps )

I will try breathing as you suggested. I think part of my problem too is that I am not breathing right, in fact, the last couple days in taking notes, I actually sometimes find myself holding my breath for seconds at a time.

Thank you so much for the input !

Morgan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.