The Probiotic Revolution

catwoman

Cathlete
Anybody else getting serious about probiotics? In the past year, I've been looking more and more into probiotic supplementation, and the more I learn, the more excited I get to learn more. I recently bought a book called "The Probiotic Revolution" by Gary B. Huffnagle, Ph.D., and as I have nothing else to do while recovering from foot surgery, I've started reading it. Wow! What interesting information! I didn't realize how "new" this field of research was in the United States, but I guess it's become status quo in Europe, where they prescribe probiotic therapy for all kinds of ailments. I recently went through a similar type of therapy instructed by my doctor when I stupidly did a colon cleanse immediately after receiving a round of antibiotics. Dumb-dumb-dumb! I should have known better. But after the probiotic therapy, I felt wonderful!

I think this is an area that the health-conscious among us are going to want to look into as we search for the next level of good health and clean eating. It's definitely picking up steam in the U.S. and it goes way beyond just eating yogurt or kefir.

Pro-biotics have been an open secret for years, they're just now getting the attention they deserve. I'm going to supplement my younger DD with either kefir or capsules this school year. She suffered 5 - count them - 5 bouts of stomach "flu" last year. She loves the taste of kefir, so at least I won't have to battle with her over it.

And colon cleanses...no thanks! :)

I have taken probiotocs off and on for years, especially when taking antibiotics. Does this book suggest taking them daily?

My ten year old son takes a probiotic and a fish oil capsule each day along with his multi vitamin. His doctor recommended it for his ADD. He is on a prescription as well but the doctor said that research shows that probiotics are great for helping with ADD.

My daughter had gastroenteritis a few times as a baby, once so badly that she was in hospital for 3 days. She also used to get bad colds and fevers all the time. We put her on probiotics just after her second birthday, at our doctor's suggestion. She turned 5 last week and has not had any illnesses beyond minor colds that last just a couple of days. She hasn't vomited for 3 years. No diarrhea. Good digestion. She is a very healthy little girl and I credit the probiotics to a great degree.

I really learned a lot about probiotics a couple of years ago, and there was so much info about them that I had never heard. I think the one statistic that I still find amazing is that 70% of our immune system is found in our gut. Who knew!?! My daughter has had only one round of antibiotics, and right after she did, I made sure to give her a good dose of probiotics for a month to help build up her intestinal health again. I give it to her periodically now, just to keep her healthy.
I had just recently heard on the news that a study done in Germany stated that the amount of times an infant is given antibiotics before thier first birthday exponetially relates to them having asthma. They were linking the killing off of the good bacteria in the intestines to the asthma. I found that interesting as well. I think we will really hear a lot more about the importance of probiotics in the near future.

DD has been suffering from IBS-like symptoms (self-diagnosis, no MD) for the past couple of years - stress really seems to bring on the intestinal woes. She tried Activia, but hadn't really had any luck and then our store started carrying Lifeway Organic Kefir smoothies. She loves the stuff and it has made a significant improvement for her.

I agree that it is an area that is picking up steam. When a small-town grocery store starts to carry this type of product you know it is going mainstream.

Twin Labs makes a fabulous probiotic powder that tastes very neutral, and lasts a long time. You can add it to any cool drink. I suffer from IBS and recurrent yeast infections, and this helps alot.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.