the gym vs exercise vids

I also have a gym membership and I love it.

But I'm the opposite from Laura :)

I do my 3 days-per-week cardio at the gym and my weight workouts at home 3X a week with Cathe's DVDs.

I used to do both cardio and weights (the weight machines) at the gym, but then became convinced by a couple of sessions with a great personal trainer that free weights would be better.

Two things led me to search the Internet and, luckily, find Cathe.

First... the main free weight area (the men's cave) did not have dumbbells and barbells light enough for me and the classroom where there were lots of suitable weights was always being used for classes. And the other smaller area for free weights, Bosu, stretching, etc. only had a few random weight dumbbells and the ones I wanted were always being used so I got frustrated.

Second... I can't afford regular workouts with a personal trainer, so Cathe is now my personal trainer and I love her workouts.

So.. for me... gym and Cathe works...

I only workout at home. I have taken two spin classes at different gyms and wouldn't mind trying Zumba, but will not spend the money to have to drive somewhere to workout. That's just an excuse waiting to happen for me (especially when the weather is bad).

I only work out at home and use the money I save by not joining a gym for exercise equipment and workouts. I have five kids and homeschool, so getting to a gym would be hard, although I definitely do prefer working out at home. I think I went to a gym once in college. I like being in the privacy of my own home.

I loved the funny list of reasons to work out at home. I am quite the sight in the morning when I exercise since I pull my bangs into a ponytail on top of my head along with the rest in another little bun in back. Then add the sweatband and tight spandex shorts! My girls get embarrassed when I take the dog on his quick morning walk decked out like that!

As for space, my stuff is all "organized" on one side of the kids' playroom/family room. They use my steps and stuff for setting up obstacle courses!

Sent from my iPod touch using CatheForum

I do both and love both. Have done videos since I was about 15 in 1990 - way back in the FIRM days. I found Cathe at the end of the 90's and my workouts have never been the same since!! I've developed great form because I try to emulate Cathe.

My hubby and I go to the gym together and do weights on occasion. I don't like going alone because of the "meatmarket" atmosphere. We've been known to bring STS workout cards on a clipboard - we've done Mesos 1 and 2 at the gym together. We've had people ask us "what are you training for??? It looks serious!" Ha! I also find I do all of the pushups on my toes when we are at the gym because I know people are watching... I rarely go down to my knees. I have more guts at the gym with hubby as my spotter and all too.... I've even done a 45 lb barbell for biceps...never thought in a million years I could do that! I'm getting close to 100 on bench presses too. I've even used the assisted chinup machine and used to be terrified of it!

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my home workouts too. Our basement is "my room". I've got dumbbells up to 45's, step, turbo tower, stability ball, medicine balls, etc. I'd like to eventually add a squat rack, heavy bag, and spin bike. I do my cardio at home because I adore step, kickbox, and HiiT. Also, hubby and I like to go biking and walking when it's nice outside.

I think both home workouts and the gym have their advantages. I just love the variety they add to my program!! :)

Kelly

Home!

I much prefer working out at home. I have access to gyms (military) but I find that I work out harder and longer at home. I like having my own personal space. Plus, the gyms are noisy (all those treadmills and TVs) and smell like Marines. Group finess classes are nothing compared to Cathe!

I have weights, a step, and extra space in my " office" which I left purposely sparsely furnished. I love working out at night after I put our kid to bed. (no babysitter needed!!!)

I used to do both

However, I am a freelance personal trainer, and the economy is so bad, I can't afford a gym now. I am being very frugal.

I fond value on both. I used to go to the gym 3-4 times per week and workout at home the other days. I like the gym for the leg machines, the Smith machines, spotters, and socializing - the same people were always there at the same day/time. Now I stay home as it's much cheaper and although I live next door to the gym (I can look out my window down at the people on the treadmills) I'm a gym snob and the quality and intent of the membersip here is subpar - I rather workout with more serious althletic types. So now I do Cathe (although not as much as I used to). Another bonus - your gym friends help keep you honest and consistent,

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.