The Good News Great People Thread

Aquajock

Cathlete
I don't know about you all, but I'm about at the end of my rope what with all the bad news, and news about bad people, and news about people you thought were good being bad! That combined with the relentlessly beyond-butt-cold temperatures has made me feel like all the warm blood has been sucked out of my body, especially my heart!

Sooooooooooooooooo . . . I'd like to list out a couple three people who have Done The Wonderful, and hope that others will chime in:

Chesley Sullenberger, the US Airways pilot who demonstrated his landing skill on the Hudsoen River, landing with such panache that another pilot who was a passenger described it as little more than "moderate turbulence". And walking through and making sure all the passengers got out safely, inviting the pilot-passenger to stay with his crew and giving her $20.00 when she told him she lost her wallet. AND, calling his local library to apologize for losing a book he's checked out that was in his luggage on the "creative flight". Was there ever so ample a modest hero?

Cathe Friedrich, who has continually worked to expand the horizons of home exercise with her productions, her forums, her products and her accessibility. To me, she's the Ultimate Entrepreneur, building a great business by creating and marketing an eminently worthy, high-quality and pro-social product.

AND . . .

My last hero I can't name here. She's a long-term Catheite who, out of the blue, offered to send me some DVDs of a workout format I'd recently expressed interest in. YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE, AND I STILL WANT TO KNOW IF YOU HAVE STARBUCKS AND/OR BARNES & NOBLE WHERE YOU ARE!!!!! THANKS FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY LEACHED-OUT LITTLE HEART!

Please, please chime in, people. I know there's good news out there, and this is a place where it's easier to find!

A-Jock

how refreshing!

my 3 arent well known but they mean the world to me!

1 - dh. love him to pieces, he supports anything i think, say, or do and we are 100% a team
2 - dds - gina & isabel - seeing them grow up is astounding. they are sisters and best friends
3 - newest dd - julia - she was my oopsie and not day goes by that i dont thank god for the miracle that she is in so many ways.

Great Thread!!!

1 - My hubby of course, my best friend!
2 - my 2 sons, I am so blessed. My oldest who will be 16 in June said to me the other night out of the blue "thanks for raising me the way you did" I thought I would cry!!
3 - My e-mail fitness buddies!! Thanks Gals, you are all so encouraging & a shoulder to lean on!!

To our veterans for their profound love, honor and respect for our country and fellow veterans.

My grandfather passed away recently and was laid to rest at Fort Snelling National Cemetary. It was 10 below zero & windy that morning but a group of very elderly veterans were there to present the colors, play taps, and give the ten gun salute. Watching as they walked away, a difficult task for some, hunched over and holding onto each other for support on the icy road, I was filled with deep sense of patriotism and respect that I'd never felt before. God bless them!!

Judi

My friend and personal trainer. I am in the best shape of my life due to her inspiration, motivation and awesome workouts! My life has changed in so many ways since we met and I am so thankful that she is in my life!!

My DH, who also inspires me every day for lots of reasons!!

My students (4th graders), who face so much adversity daily that it breaks my heart (not all of them, but too many :( ), but they still come to school EVERY DAY smiling and looking forward to what we can learn together each day.

Great idea, AJ!!! I am smiling more already!!!
Jenn

Thanks for this post!

1. My DH who, despite being not-quite-convinced, is knocking down the wall between 2 small rooms to make us one big family room.

2. A colleague/friend of mine who works with exchange students. We have one staying with us and now I know the work that goes into it!

3. My DD, who despite her 17 year old attitude is trustworthy and a very cool kid!

Jenn, Hats off to you! I could not be a teacher. The time I've spent in my daughters classrooms......ugh, it breaks my heart to see some of them. To see that the parents don't care about homework......kids hair isnt brushed....rotten lunches.....dirty clothes. Makes me sad to think about it.
Anyways.......I think teachers are pretty awesome people!

I have been the recipient of MANY little acts of kindness administered by some wonderful women from this forum -- everything from phone calls to check up on me :p, to home baked goods (that coconut bread was to.die.for!), and homemade preserves, and all sorts of gifts and cards. Some of my very best friends are women I've "met" on this forum, yet I've never met a single one in person. I simply must find a way to rectify that.

1. my bf...who makes me laugh everyday :D
2. my dd who is the most precious thing :)
3. my online fitness buddies whom I am blessed to have :cool:

Only three???

1. My sister, who has taken on the lion's share of caring for my failing mother. DS just sent me a gift certificate to Cathe, just because she a wonderful, generous person.

2. My MANY Catheland friends. I've gotten so much from all of you - advice, prayers, cards, workouts, inspiration, gifts and so much loving support.

3. And the list goes on and on: Jesus, my DH, my co-workers, my non-fitness friends (yes, there are some of them too!)

First is my DH. We have been together over 30 years, married almost 27 years, and he is tops.

My children, DS who is struggling with life right now but is such a darn good kid he will be fine. DD who though a teen girl is one of the sweetest teen girls I have ever met.

They are not people, but my animals. They are always there for me.

Jesus, without Him I would be lost.
My husband, my best friend for 27 years
My two DSs true blessings from God.
My mother, who is with Our Father in heaven.

Sorry, I couldn't cut the list off at 3.:eek:

To our veterans for their profound love, honor and respect for our country and fellow veterans.

My grandfather passed away recently and was laid to rest at Fort Snelling National Cemetary. It was 10 below zero & windy that morning but a group of very elderly veterans were there to present the colors, play taps, and give the ten gun salute. Watching as they walked away, a difficult task for some, hunched over and holding onto each other for support on the icy road, I was filled with deep sense of patriotism and respect that I'd never felt before. God bless them!!

Judi

TAPS always makes me cry. Always.

Inspirations to me:

• My grandmother, who wrote 12 books (all after the age of 50), received the Order of Australia, was an associate editor of Chatelaine, and one of the foremost reseachers in her field. She just died at the age of 100 from a stroke.
  • Barack Obama
  • Xiao Nan Yu, a principal dancer with the National Ballet of Canada, and one of the most beautiful, fit and talented women I have ever seen anywhere
  • My boss, who has to struggle everyday against forces beyond her control to get the job done

My car repair guy, who gave me a bunch of coupons & gave my car a complete servicing this week for $65.

My nutritionist, who gives me hope that there is a tasty, lean diet after 40.

Cathe, who inspires me & makes me laugh just when I think I'm gonna pass out.

The pilot...

I don't know about you all, but I'm about at the end of my rope what with all the bad news, and news about bad people, and news about people you thought were good being bad! That combined with the relentlessly beyond-butt-cold temperatures has made me feel like all the warm blood has been sucked out of my body, especially my heart!

Sooooooooooooooooo . . . I'd like to list out a couple three people who have Done The Wonderful, and hope that others will chime in:

Chesley Sullenberger, the US Airways pilot who demonstrated his landing skill on the Hudsoen River, landing with such panache that another pilot who was a passenger described it as little more than "moderate turbulence". And walking through and making sure all the passengers got out safely, inviting the pilot-passenger to stay with his crew and giving her $20.00 when she told him she lost her wallet. AND, calling his local library to apologize for losing a book he's checked out that was in his luggage on the "creative flight". Was there ever so ample a modest hero?

Cathe Friedrich, who has continually worked to expand the horizons of home exercise with her productions, her forums, her products and her accessibility. To me, she's the Ultimate Entrepreneur, building a great business by creating and marketing an eminently worthy, high-quality and pro-social product.

AND . . .

My last hero I can't name here. She's a long-term Catheite who, out of the blue, offered to send me some DVDs of a workout format I'd recently expressed interest in. YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE, AND I STILL WANT TO KNOW IF YOU HAVE STARBUCKS AND/OR BARNES & NOBLE WHERE YOU ARE!!!!! THANKS FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY LEACHED-OUT LITTLE HEART!

Please, please chime in, people. I know there's good news out there, and this is a place where it's easier to find!

A-Jock

I agree with you about the pilot - he is truly a good example in so many ways! Kids would be well served to use him as a role model instead of a lot of sports figures, like Michael Phelps, for one.!

Aquajock you are so cool! Thanks uber cool chickie!

1. DH-he is the sweetest and most supportive husband a girl could ask for. We have been married 16 years this Valentine's Day and I don't regret a minute. His love has helped me to be a better person. :)
2. My Mom and Dad (a tie)-they have hit a rough patch and are handling it with graciousness and no self pity. I find their patience and understanding heroic. Their wisdom is priceless.
3. My Sister In Law-She is married with five children and she deserves an award. Juggling her large family and performing as a champ is a feat. She does this all with a smile on her face and without any handouts. Where we live, all of the families around them ask for, take and expect handouts. My SIL has taken responsibility for her choices, excelled and expects nothing in return from her family, community, the state government or the feds. She is proud to manage her budget but also knows that she is lucky.

1. The women in my life - my sisters and my best friend for always being there to lend advice, an ear, or a shoulder to cry on and my daughter who I am really starting to enjoy spending time with (and the eye rolls are becoming minimal:p).

2. The men in my life - my husband, whom I still can count on after some difficult times and my little boys who delight me way down to my toes.

3. My mother-in-law. I lost my Mom years ago and my MIL has become my soft place to fall.

I like the guy with the fauxhawk from the ShamWow commercials who continues to spread the gospel of the ShawWow.

In all seriousness I would add the incredibly awesome medical staff at my mom's doctor's office. Any time, and today was no exception, that she needed immediate care they squeezed her right in, answered all of our questions and then some, and then armed us with the knowledge we would need to take care of her or deal with the hospital. Their concern and compassion is genuine.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.