Suggestion for creating a travel workout from 'parts'

lurdes

Hi Cathe,

I was wondering if you would consider compiling footage from the videos you've already made to create an all-band, no-weights-required travel workout. Many of us have to travel a lot for our work. Thanks to kickboxing and running it's not hard to do cardio without equipment, but strength training is much harder. And now with all the airline restrictions, carrying weights in cabin or checked baggage is almost impossible. So I was thinking that many of your workouts already include strength exercises that use the band or require no weights. It's impractical to bring them all and keep changing DVDs, but if you put them all on one workout that covered all major body parts, that would be fantastic! I think it would be a good seller. I promise I'd buy it!!

Thanks for all your great workouts. I've been your biggest fan since the days of Step Heat!

Lurdes

Lurdes,
Not sure if this would help you, but I will be going out of town soon and came up with a list of exercises that I can do with the band from Cathe's w/o's. You just have to remember exactly what to do by the names. I will post the list if you want.

Gin

I bought Aquabells from Amazon a year ago and they are great. They pack easily and you fill the chambers with water and there are 8 chamber that goes up to 16 pounds for each one. There are 2 Aquabells in the pack for a total of 32 pounds. Great to use while traveling or on vacation where there is not a gym. So easy to use... i love them. They are set up like a regualr dumbell.

I love this idea. I don't travel all that often, but when I do I always take Cathe with me -- and dumbbells, deflated stability ball, even my step if I can.

I would love a workout specifically made for travel. There certainly is a lot you can do with tubes & resistance bands.

Cathe -- Can you have this to me by March 1 for my Florida trip? }( }( }( ;-)

Marla

RE: Suggestion for creating a travel workout from 'part...

>Lurdes,
>Not sure if this would help you, but I will be going out of
>town soon and came up with a list of exercises that I can do
>with the band from Cathe's w/o's. You just have to remember
>exactly what to do by the names. I will post the list if you
>want.
>
>Gin

Hi Gin,

That would be great - thanks for the offer!

Lurdes

Lurdes,
Just saw your post. All of these exercises are done with the band from Cathe's various workouts dvds.

T Back Squeeze
Lat Pull Downs
Scapular Retractions
Standing Rows
Back Rows
Lateral Raise
Front Raise
Rear Delt Raise
Rear Delt Fly
One Arm Overhead Press
One Arm Tricep Extensions
Cross Body Extensions
Kickbacks
Inner Thigh Lift
Firewalkers

Then, of course, you can do a variety of push-ups, tricep dips and core work without weights. You could also do some of the Kick Max leg work with the chair.

Good luck!
Gin

Following is a reprint of a post I put up last year, "Cathe On The Road". Although it does entail packing several discs, it also gives a nice, total body cardio and band-muscle workout.

Cardio suggestions:

Cardio Kicks

Maximum Intensity Cardio floor segment (modify travelling moves by substituting moderate moves like marches in place or side-to-side steps all the way up to high intensity stuff like plyo jacks, plyo lunges or the like)

Kick Punch Crunch

Kick Max

CTX Power Circuit warm-up and hi/lo
CTX 10-10-10 kickbox warm-up and cardio plus hi/lo (again, modify for floor space requirements as noted above)
CTX Kickbox

Step Jump Pump hi/lo add-on sequence

Resistance training without equipment or with the band:

Chest: push-ups, push-ups and more push-ups (couldn't find anything using the band for pecs)

Muscle Max:
Band leg presses for glutes, hams and quads
PAUSE and perform push-ups for pecs
Muscle Max ab/core routine
Band lateral shoulder raises for the middle deltoid
Band triceps kickbacks
Optional: triceps dips off of a chair with one leg raised

Gym Style Legs:
Leg Press with band
Inner Thigh Lifts with band
Vertical Outer Thigh press with band
Outer Thigh Raise with band

Gym Style Back, Shoulders and Biceps:
Back T-Back Squeeze with band
Shoulder Front Raise with band
Shoulder Lateral Raise with band
Shoulder Rear Delt Raise with band
PAUSE: fashion the band as if you were going to do leg presses, but instead hold the band in an underhand grip and perform traditional biceps curls (you'll have to play with the length of the band from floor to grip to create the tension you need)

Gym Style Chest and Triceps:
Chest: push-ups, push-ups and more push-ups
Tris:
Band Bonus Burn Cross-Body Extensions
Band Bonus Burn Kickback

A suggested mini-rotation for your hotel room would be to do about 30-35 minutes of cardio utilizing the workouts noted above, and then get in at least one exercise for each muscle group from the DVDs noted above using the band for an overall muscle conditioning experience.

And, since you're packing a band anyway for the resistance work, sling in the Core Max and Stretch Max DVD's to get everything in.

A-Jock

Although I want to thank everyone who suggested ways to do Cathe's strength workouts while traveling by swapping DVDs etc, I want to make sure this thread doesn't die before I've had a chance to emphasize that although I realize these solutions will work, I *really* think a single DVD compiled from separate workouts would be ideal. It also strikes me that for Cathe it makes a lot of sense to take existing footage and make a workout that would be extremely useful for so many of us. Cathe, I know you have lots of other projects on your "to-do" list, but as one of your very loyal customers I want to put in a plug for this one.

Again, my main concern isn't cardio - it's strength-training. Cardio is very easy to do without equipment (e.g., I can always run), but if I'm traveling for 3-5 days, I don't want to go the entire time without doing some type of strength work, and carrying any kind of weight is impractical.

Thanks!
Lurdes

I know a Cathe DVD specifically targeted at travel workouts would sell. I would sure buy one. :)

Until then, I just found a resistance tube that comes with a DVD workout. It's by GoFit (GoFit.net). I bought it a Dick's Sporting Goods for $12.99. The tube sets come in different strengths -- 5 lb., 10 lb, 15 lb., and 20 lb.

I bought this for the resistance tube (I needed a heavier one), but I will give the workout a try, too. It also comes with a door anchor, which is great!

:)

Marla

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.