sugar content my yogurt too high?

Fach

Cathlete
I love the stonyfield farm organic fat free french vanilla yogurt. It is 180 calories and 33 grams sugar per serving. Is this too much sugar? It is actually a bit too sweet for my taste but it's the closest yogurt I have found to my liking. I wish these companies would cut back on the sugar. It's not like we cant sweeten it ourselves. So is this too sweet to be considered a healthy choice?

That sounds like way too much sugar. I try to go with anything less than 10 grams of sugar. I've noticed that when things are "fat free" they usually add in sugar to make up for the fat. I like Dannon's Lite & Fit - 60 calories, no fat and 7 grams of sugar.

Marcy

Yes, I thought it seemed awfully sweet. Darn it! Guess I'll keep it for a dessert item instead.

I noticed that about Stoneyfield Farm yogurt also. And it's just a 6 oz. container! That is WAY too much sugar I think. I think my Axelrod yogurt has about 12 grams per container. Not great, but better.

Never heard of alexrod. I'll have to look when I go to the market again for a fat free vanilla [I hate plain ff] with lower sugar content. Isn't it crazy that we consumers don't want all that sugar, it costs more for the company to make, and it's still in there. Makes no sense to me......

Considering that a cup of skim milk has about 11 grams of sugar (lactose) and that yogurt is a slightly more concentrated form of milk (so it's natural concentration may be a little bit higher), I'd say that 33 grams is almost 3X the amount naturally occuring -- far from "clean". I agree that it's hard to find good tasting yogurt without added sugar or other fillers. You're right, we could just sweeten it to our liking -- but manufacturers are just appealing to the masses who want sweet stuff.

Deb

You should try & keep sugar grams to 6, 33 is way way to mcuh, you would be better off having ice cream:7

>You should try & keep sugar grams to 6, 33 is way way to
>mcuh, you would be better off having ice cream:7
yes, except for the fat. Slinks off, head hanging in search of healthier food choices......

Fach, if you don't mind mixing your own I like the greek strained yogurt. The fat-free kind I buy is 100 calories per 1 cup serving with only 3g of sugar.

It's my favorite breakfast - I put a little fruit spread in it and then a bunch of cut up fruit - sometimes a little coconut or flax oil, wheat germ, egg whites if I feel like it or hemp powder.

Very tasty. I have been disappointed with the Stonyfield since I love their philosophy but the yogurts are just tooooo sugary!

Most yogurt's are way to sugary. You should get less than 12 teaspoons of sugar per day (4 grams = 1 teaspoon), so 33 grams is over 2/3 your total daily sugar allotment! That's too much.

Pure, unsweetened yogurt is obviously the best for you nutritionally, because yogurt (at least the good kind) is packed with power-packing probiotics. A trick I recently read about is to mix a little of the unsweetened yogurt with the sweetened kind, then gradually increase the amount of unsweetened yogurt until you've developed a taste for it and don't have to eat the sweetened kind anymore. You can also mix in bits of fruit or cottage cheese to enhance the flavor of unsweetened yogurt without enhancing the sugar.

I recently tried kefir (another power-packing probiotic item - it's a fermented milk drink that resembles thinned yogurt, and it kinda reminds me of buttermilk). Kefir (pronounced kuh-FEAR) doesn't have as much sugar as yogurt, and it tastes a little bit more "sour" (not in a bad way, though), and after only four days I've already adjusted my palate and look forward to having a cup of it every morning. I mix raspberry with plain to lower the sugar content even more. Two things I noticed right away with kefir: 1) a fresh, clean taste in my mouth, and 2) healthier "movements", if you know what I mean. This is normal with probiotic supplementation from whole foods.

Good luck on your search for the perfect, low-sugar yogurt! :)

"A trick I recently read about is to mix a little of the unsweetened yogurt with the sweetened kind, then gradually increase the amount of unsweetened yogurt until you've developed a taste for it and don't have to eat the sweetened kind anymore."

Catwoman, I love that idea! :D

I agree its too much sugar. I was getting sick of eating my organic "Rachel's" yogurt because I just thought it tasted too sugary. It's like 26 or 28 grams I think. I switched to some bottled yogurt which has like 15 grams which is closer to the natural sugar in milk.

Excellent timing (for me) on this post. I was just in the health food section on Tuesday, talking to the lady who always helps me. I told her I want to get away from the sweetened yogurt. I only started liking yogurt about 3 years ago, and I slowly weaned myself INTO eating it by mixing a half container of Yoplait Light with cool whip. Then I slowly decreased the CW amount. The health food lady recommended doing the exact same thing with unflavored yogurt, as posted above....mix unsweetened with sweetened and slowly reduce till lit's all UNsweetened.

Gayle

33 grams? That's very high. I'd consider it junk food.

Buy a plain yogurt and add your own fruit-sweetened preserves to taste.

>... it costs more for the company to make...

Actually, sugar is probably very cheap compared to other ingredients.

I tried some unsweetened soy yogurt the other day. It was pleasantly tart, to my tastes. I didn't even miss the added fruit and sweetener. And I had a flash back to when yogurt first became popular (the 70's) and when all one could find was plain yogurt, and that's what we ate!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.