Stuck in the 40s

ccbw03

Cathlete
I am just starting Meso cycle 3. I was just wondering if it was normal to feel like you have really put weight on before you really notice a difference. Does that make sense? I really love the way weight lifting makes me feel, strong, energized, but I am feeling really fat. So do you get bloated before you get trim? This probably sounds really stupid. I remember when I did 4 day split, I gained 6lbs!! And it I know muscle weighs more than fat, but my clothes did not fit any looser. This happened to my one other time also, I tried to do a program and I gained..... Ever since I turned 40, things have just gone down hill at a very fast pace. I used to do your workouts 5-6 days a week and i maintained my weight loss for 4-5 yrs, then 40 came and someone switched a switch. I am so embarassed by myself I hate to go anywhere anymore....I try really hard and stick with the clean eating and exercising but nothing budges. Had my thyroid checked also. I don't know what else to try. Sorry I'm so whiny, just started typing and it all came out.....

Love your workouts and everyone in them!!
C

I totally understand what you mean about feeling bloated, and feeling like you've put on weight! I think it's a great question, and I'm sorry you're having a hard time! Don't be too hard on yourself, just think of all the hard work and the great things you are doing for your body :)

I hope you get an answer, because I would like to know as well! Take care!

I'm in the last few months of age 41, and I feel exactly the same as you. But I tried not lifting heavy for a few months, and that didn't work at all!:confused: So I'm back to lifting heavy and liking how I feel (if not how I look). If only I looked as firm and tight as I feel, LOL!;) I'm hoping persistence will pay off. Good luck, and know that you are not alone.

Sorry about how you are feeling. I'm in my 40s and weight lose is more difficult.

Have you tried counting calories? Even people who "eat clean" can over eat and take in too many calories or some people take in too few calories and slow down their metabolism. I know it's a big headache but that maybe the reason you are not losing.

www.sparkpeople.com and www.caloriecount.com are two good sites for counting calories.

Keep up the good work with your workouts.

Last edited:
know how you feel, this happened w/ me just within the last year,I'm 47. Can't budge the pudge around the middle:( what to do...

It's not just counting calories, although that helps immensely; you must also look at what you are eating. After 40, I found that I could no longer eat certain foods bc of the increased bloating & water retention and I have increased my water intake tremendously & cut back on caffeine & processed foods & sugar. But everyone is different so it's a lot of trial & error but hang in there; it will get better.

Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents...I agree that what you eat is important. I never had a problem with my weight until I turned 40, and then it became a constant struggle to keep extra weight off. I'm 53 and about 6 months ago I began eating cleaner - organic whenever possible, no processed foods, no gluten, hardly no dairy or sugar, and increased my water intake. I don't count calories, but I do write down what I eat to keep myself accountable. I used to be bloated all the time but since I started eating better, I'm hardly bloated at all any more. I'm about half way through the STS 6 month rotation, and I've also increased my cardio since starting STS. The combination of healthy eating, weight training and extra cardio seems to finally be working for me.

I don't mean to sound like I'm blowing my own horn, but I just want you to know that even though it's a difficult, you CAN get through this! I did, and you can too... Everyone is different and you just have to find the right combination for you. Don't beat yourself up... Don't be discouraged... You can do it!

Take care and good luck with reaching your fitness goals!!
Denise

my thing is, i love to lift heavy but my body does not respond well to it. I get too thick (even with a super clean diet) i need more endurance type of lifting and extra cardio. This is the workout that keeps me lean. not everyone responds well to lifting heavy. we are all different.

I agree with the age 40 thing, although there is another thread in another forum saying that age means nothing for weight loss. I don't really agree - even Jillian Michaels in her new book talks about the vicious cycle of estrogen and gut fat and how it works to keep the pounds around our middles as we lose our ability to make estrogen. It is harder to lose weight - that's all.

With all that said - I started STS too - and felt the same way. I was gaining muscle - not losing weight and feeling pretty bloated even though I was following the Eat Clean diet - and counting my calories. So - I read in Oxygen magazine that this woman really retooled her body with circuit workouts - lots of cardio and circuit style weight training - soooooo . . . . I'm experimenting with a circuit rotation. I'm doing 4 days on and one day off. I do one circuit (LIC or CW or HSC or whatever) and then one intense cardio (IMAX2, KPC, etc) and then repeat then take a day off. I'm hoping to see better results.

Tom Venuto also talks about it in his book BFFM. He says you have to decide on your goal - lose fat or gain muscle. It takes different approaches. I want to lose fat - so I have to do more cardio. I am hoping this new rotation will help increase my cardio substantially and still get me lifting weights to keep my muscles strong.

We shall see. . . .

I'm in the same boat. I had to increase my cardio once I turn 40, but even then I have lost some weight but my stomach feels like it's getting puffier or that bloating look your talking about.

Lourdes

Thanks!!!

Thanks to everyone for all the encouraging words. Why is it that we are so hard on ourselfs? I am going to try to do some more circut/interval type training. Problem is I need to find something that won't irritate a bad back, knees......I started with the weights because it was something I enjoyed doing and I needed something like that to help get me back in the habit of exercising again. Stress is also such a downer, but maybe after my schooling for x-ray technologist is finished (August) (yay me!!) things will settle down.

I appreciate all the feedback!! Thanks again!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.