STS first time!

Mary--- That's too funny. The last pair of dumbbells I bought at target, there was a skinny nerdy looking dude as the cashier, and I put them on the counter he scanned the barcode on the dumbbell at just left it there. He couldn't even lift them to the bagging section. I had to walk around the cart and put in the buggy!!! I just laughed. Us women that lift weights are amazing!!!

As far as the 5 am workouts...they are tough but I get through them. I am use to getting up to workout at 6 am, but I have had to get up 6 days this month at 5 am. I only have 1 more 5 am workout and then I am back to the good old time of 6 am. It took me awhile to get adjusted the the early workouts, but now if I miss a morning I am sluggish all day!!! I am very proud of myself!!! As everyone should be just for exercising regardless of the time. Its all in what works for you!!!!

We should all give ourselfs a pat on the back, just for being motivated to stick with a program!!!:D

As, for my workouts...I just finished CCC and Stability ball Ab Circuits!!! Trying to get the tummy to look hot for summer!!!!:p

Hope everyone has a lovely evening!!!!

Good Morning!!!

Just finished my cardio and off to work. Just wanted to wish everyone a Happy Friday!!! :)

Be back later!:p

The music program was a success! My son was really nervous but not nearly as much as last year...progress!:)
After the elliptical fell through I talked to my husband about using the money to get a cardio club step and altus turbo tower but he said we should wait until after taxes. He's right. The only reason we were willing to spend the money now is because we were getting a screaming deal. I'll be getting those two things in a few months though so..yay! Hopefully someday we'll find another elliptical. I'm really picky and if I'm going to get one it's got to be gym quality so I'm sure we'll end up spending more money than we want but oh well!

Zippity- I have used the LIS workouts with STS as well. I like to do 2 leg based days a week. I've done Trisets lower body, Afterburn (which I consider leg intensive since I get glute DOMS every time), Cardio Supersets and Athletic Training with STS. I don't have Turbo Barre anymore but I'm sure you could use that as well. I just make sure to separate leg stuff by at least 1 day or 2 days if I'm feeling particularly DOMS'y. For upper body though I keep the heavy weights to just the 2 STS days and for AT, AB and CS I make sure not to go above 8 lbs. The one thing I've found I can't do with STS is kettlebells. I tried twice and it totally wiped me out! I could feel my body treading closely into overtraining mode...you know that "hit by a truck" feeling? Heh. I've decided to not risk it again until I'm done with STS so I'm really missing that kind of training even though I love STS. I noticed you were going to do Paul Katami's kettlebell drills the other day. How do you like that one? I love Paul but I ended up trading that one since some of the moves felt a bit tweaky for my knees and lower back. I got his kettlebell combos instead and I'm hoping I'll like that one better.

Mary and Missy- that is hilarious about the checkout people and how they reacted to you buying heavier dumbells! I got a similar reaction from my husband's brother when I bought a pair of 15 lb dumbells. He was helping me bring my bags up from the car and he grabbed the dumbells and was like, whoah. He thought that would be way too heavy for me and was even saying he could feel it in his elbow a bit. I was like, "dude, you need to work out if those are heavy for you...a guy!":p
Missy- you're a beast getting up to work out twice a day! What an inspiration! I would totally love to get to that point some day too! It's so hard getting an evening workout in with the kids and all their stuff/homework/supper/bath's etc. I am thinking I want to start doing a little abs at night though. Even just 20 minutes of pilates or something to fit that ab stuff in would be nice.

Carolyn- It sounds like your having a lot of fun with your sister! Nothing like having "sista's" is there? That's one thing I feel bad about with my daughter is that since we decided to stop at 2 she'll never get a sister like I got to enjoy. I am really close to my 3 sisters, especially the one who is closest to me in age (we're only a year apart). Areka (pronounced Erica) and I always ran with the same crowd in high school. People knew if they were friends with one sister they better like the other one too because we were a package deal!:D
Have a great day girls!
Colleen

Last edited:
Did MMA Fusion this morning. I haven't done that one in a while, but it is a great total body workout, great core work there. I love it when the core is part of the workout. It had a good long stretch at the end too. Does anyone do the extended stretch after their STS workout? I usually skip it, only because after doing weights for an hour I am out of time.

I think 30 lbs is as high as I will go with dumbbells. My forearms give out before anything else, and I don't think those muscles will grow any bigger.

Off to figure out what to do with the kids today - last day of vacation week. Have a good day everyone!

Mary

Today I did Hiit 40/20 and STS disc 21. I feel great! I have the day off so I have the house all to myself...no distractions from kids or hubby! That seems to be the only time I can get any cleaning done too!
Mary I don't do the extended stretch either. I did actually do it once and it's a great stretch actually. It just adds way too much time. Today I was able to work out for as long as I wanted and I still didn't do it:eek:. I am just ready to be done and get in the shower!
Carolyn- Dylan didn't do any of his nervous ticks last night but for some reason he had his hands stuck in his pockets almost the whole time. He did take them out to do the hand stuff in the program though. Mark and I were joking that maybe he was playing a little pinball:eek: hehehe.
TTYL girls!

Hello, everyone! :)

First of all, a big thanks to those folks who encouraged me to add the STS banner into the signature line-Figuring out how to do it helped me get organized with the Workout Manager! :D

Colleen, I'm sorry about the elliptical trainer, but the Turbo Tower and step will is almost as good! :) Regarding Paul Katami Kettlebell Combo's-I ended up doing something else that day and actually haven't done this workout yet because like you mentioned it's difficult to work kettlebells in with STS. :)

Missyt, thanks for the info on LIS; I think I'll try Tri Sets next week as my fourth lifting day. :)

Maryle-Your band snapped? Ouch-I bet that hurt!!!! :(

Today was STS M2 Disc 15, and I was trying not to drop the 35lbs dumbells! :eek: Cardio Supersets with 5lb dumbells this afternoon-I used lighter weights than normal but actually this workout goes great with Back and Biceps so will revert back to 8-10lbs next time.

Last edited:
Just a quick check in! I've been a lazy cuss this week and didn't workout until today. I did legs first and then followed with chest, shoulders, triceps. They did go together fairly well. I was pooped, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. TTYL!

Linda

ETA: Hey! I work this weekend, too!

Last edited:
No workout for me today. :)

Carolyn- I'm so sorry about your shoulder! That totally sucks...right before you start Meso 3 too:(. I've heard the shoulder is really delicate and prone to injury too if you're not careful so take it easy. I'm so bummed for you, hopefully it's nothing too serious though...

Jean- I have Pyramid UB/LB and Butts and Guts and they are both awesome strength workouts. Probably two of Cathe's best actually (imo at least). I can't speak for the other ones since I don't have those though. As far as weighted gloves I don't have much to contribute there either. I've purchased a few pairs of weighted gloves for kickboxing (1-2lbs) and have not been happy with any of them. I have such small hands and every one I have slips around on my hands when I punch with them. In my ideal world they would make a glove that fits small hands snugly with the weight evenly distributed throughout the glove. The small pockets of sand they use for weight are uncomfortable whether they are in your palm or on top of the glove, for me at least.
Okay, gotta go for now. Talk to you guys later!
Colleen

oh one more thing...I've been toying with the idea of pyramiding back down through STS. I miss my circuits but boy do I love the structure STS has given my workouts! I just love doing the heavy weights too and feel my body really responds well to this type of training. Question: if I were to pyramid down where you do Meso 1,2,3,2,1 do I start at the beginning of the Meso? Like say after my rest week from Meso 3, do I start at the beginning of Meso 2 or do I start with the last workout from the 4th week of Meso 2? Has anyone else done this and what did you think? Is this how you do STS Jean? Thanks!

Happy Saturday to all!!!! Last night I did Disc# 6. And, then had movie night with my loving husband. It was so nice, we don't do that very often.

This morning I did my cardio and then went grocery shopping.

Carolyn--- I hope you shoulder gets better.

My left shoulder is/was giving me problems also. Wednesday night, during my workout you could hear it popping but there was no pain. Thursday morning it was pretty tender. If I roll my shoulder, it will catch occasionally and it is painful. I asked the doctor that I work for and he said the tendens tend to swell with heavy lifting and it was my body's way of saying they needed to rest. So I have been lefting them rest. It feels much better today. No popping noise, so I should be fine for Disc #7 on Monday!!! Yeah!!!! I was so enjoying STS, I did not want to have a set back!!! Looks like I will be okay.

Hope everybody has a lovely Saturday!!!

Chat with ya'll later!!!:eek:

Hello all! :D

Missyt, I hope your shoulder gets better; mine complained a bit the first week of STS, but thankfully have settled down. Right now, it's my heel spurs that are acting up; they are not liking ballet and yoga, since I have to go barefoot. :confused:

Today was Bob Harper's Yoga for the Warrior. I was going to do Athletic Training today, but the doms are fierce today. :eek:

Good evening!!! I have been so busy the past few days, I have missed chatting back and forth with you gals.

Jean---long story short... We watched Brides Mades, it was recorded on our DVR and if we didn't watch it by today it was going to be deleted since it was a free Dish on Demand Movie which we recorded in December. It was actually really funny!!! Glad we watched it. It was really nice for us to watch it together, since my husband isn't into chick flicks!!!!

Zippity--- My shoulder feels good today. I am going to do Disc #7 on Monday. Only time will tell.

Carolyn---Glad to hear you shoulder is better.

Good night, chat will ya'll tomorrow!!! :)

I did Disc 10 yesterday - another tough one with pushups, although not as many as last week thank goodness. But those 21's and drop set overhead presses really got me, especially with the increased weights. I could barely finish! Anyway, I am sore today, in a good way.

I had planned to do a Hiit workout this morning but feel a cold coming on so wasn't feeling up to it. I decided to pull out MMA Kickbox. I think I did this one once when I first got the series and never did it again, but it was perfect for today. I am really appreciating how Cathe built the Shock Cardio series to work with STS weights.

Marie, enjoy the time away with your husband, it sounds like you need it!

Carolyn, careful with your shoulder. Are you starting Meso 3 this week? I will be interested to hear how that goes.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone!

Mary

I'm here! :p
Quick post 'cause we got company right now (I'm sneaking this in!). Today was a crazy workout day. I did Lower Body Blast standing only premix. Then I showered and took Dylan to soccer. Then when I got back I did STS disc 22 (upper body doesn't make me sweat much so no need to shower again). Then I thought, what the heck...I went ahead and did Ab circuits, no equipment abs! :eek: I'm gonna be feeling this tomorrow! Talk more later!;)

Hello Ladies!

I have been super busy today!!! I have the (fitbit) like a pedometer--- it records steps, distance, floors climbed, calories burned. I got it in December. It also comes with an online tracking.... Over the past few months, I have gotten to 5,000, 10,000, 15,000, 20,000, and 25,000 steps a day and the next goal of mine was 30,000 steps. Well I woke up today and said "I am going to tackle that today" So long story short... I have been on and off the treadmill all day. I walk/ran 3 hours today and got to 30,000. Yes my husband thought I was crazy!!! But, sometimes reaching a goal means alot to you. So I am excited!!!! I did it!!!!:D

Yes Bridemaids was funny. My husband enjoyed it, it was more of a comedy than a chick flick. I was so proud of him for even giving it a shot!!! I enjoyed the time together. We are normally so busy that we never watch movies. Alone time with the hubby is always nice!!!!!!!!!:)

I hope everybody has a lovely evening!!!!:)

Hi everyone,
I know it's been a while since I checked in with you all, but I've been keeping things up, I'm about to start Meso 3 this morning! I'm also going to start a new thread about what to do when you're done STS. I'd love to get your input!

Morning girls!
Hi Rachel! It's interesting you are starting the thread about what to do after STS because I was just thinking of that yesterday. I was contemplating pyramiding down through STS (Meso 1,2,3,2,1) since I love the workouts and I love the structure it has given me. On the other hand, I am totally missing my other workouts too. Do you guys think it would be weird or unadvisable to alternate weeks of STS with circuits/kettlebells? Like, say after I get done with Meso 3 and take my rest week, I do 1 week of circuit workouts and kettlebell training, then do 1 week of Meso 2, and then alternate until done with Meso 2 before taking another cardio only/rest week?

As far as Meso 3, I'm the opposite of Carolyn and Marie...I'm totally psyched for it:D! I'm really curious to see how heavy I can lift and how strong I've gotten. I've never tried lifting to my near maximum before so I can't wait to see how I do. Plus I looooove Plyo legs so I'm excited to do those workouts again! Marie- I love those other workouts you mentioned too but I've been doing another lower body day with STS. One leg day just doesn't seem like enough to me. I did LBB yesterday (standing only premix). I actually think it's going to be even easier to add in another leg day with Plyo legs since it's really pretty cardio based. The Meso 2 legs were so tough, especially the first week. I had DOMS that went on for 3 days that first week! I plan to do LBB, B&G, lower body Trisets, and Gym Style legs along with Plyo legs for Meso 3.

Carolyn- I'm so glad you like the Walking Dead! I'm a total sucker for sci-fi/fantasy type tv and movies. My intense love (okay obsession) for Breaking Bad is actually unusual for me since it's not in that category! I thought about checking out Grimm too. I've also been meaning to catch up with Fringe since I hear that's really good also. That's what I love about tv these days...you can get it on dvd and marathon watch to get caught up. I hate when I watch a series the first season it's out and then it gets cancelled. It seems like such a waste. These days, I often will wait until a series is out a few years and it's getting a lot of good reviews before I dive in.

Missy- Congratulations on 30,000 steps!!! :eek:Way to go girl! I know what you mean about goals...I get almost a high when I achieve a really tough goal. Good for you!

Mary- you did disc 10 Yay! I was totally dreading that one with all the push ups. Now you are done with push ups for a long time!! Meso 2 didn't have any until the last chest disc and there weren't nearly as many as in Meso 1 so it wasn't bad. I just hate push ups. Even after doing Meso 1 my endurance for them is terrible. I suppose it could be my attitude about them holding me back :eek:.

zipity- Good for you getting some yoga in! I am totally slacking on that and stretching. I used to be so good at doing yoga at least once a week. I feel like it's really important and yet I always seem to run out of time after I get all the other stuff in that I want to do.:confused: There are just not enough days in the week or enough hours in the day!!

Okay- time to get the kiddos up for school. Have a great day ladies!

Last edited:
Betty- no more push ups for a long while! Meso 2 has a totally different feel...don't give up!;)

This weekend was so busy...as you guys could see from the lack of posts from me! We had company both Saturday and Sunday plus I worked a really busy Saturday at work. We had Mark's Grandma up Saturday and his sister and her kids up on Sunday. His grandma is such a sweetie. She basically raised Mark and is pretty much the most important person in the world to him besides me and the kids. Unfortunately she is 82 and has Alzheimers, congestive heart failure and is dependant on a wheelchair these days. She can walk to the bathroom with assistance but that's about it. It's so tough for us (and especially Mark) to see her slowly slip away:(.

Darn it- gotta get back to work. TTYL!

Good Morning ladies! Got up this morning and did my cardio and now am at work!!!!

Jean--- I lost 1 pd yesterday! YEAH!!!!!!:D

Betty--- I was shocked when I got the fitbit, at how inactive I was at work. I have a desk job and it was killing me. I started exercising alot in November, because I needed to lose some weight for health reasons and personal (looking in mirror was not nice). So I was doing really good, and wanted something to motivate me more. Thats when I got the fitbit. It has pushed me harded than ever. I then found Cathe and ordered the LIS series in December and started them Jan 1st. I am addicted now. I have been doing really well with the weight loss. (see my ticker). I highly recommend the fitbit, because it motivates you to walk more. I have (2) 5K's coming, (1 in March and 1 in April)

Have to get back to work. Check in later! :p

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.