STS DOMS

skatch

Cathlete
So, this week I started Meso 2. OMG, the DOMS! My muscles are sore for 2 days after each disk. My forearms are so sore from holding the weights after the Leg disc. It hurts to grab things.

What do you do for cardio with the DOMS?

After the Chest, Shoulder, Tricep workout I did Cardio Core Circuit and after the Leg disc I went for a run the next day. My forearms are too sore still to do the Back and Bicep dvd, so today I did All Out Low Impact HIIT.

So, this week I started Meso 2. OMG, the DOMS! My muscles are sore for 2 days after each disk. My forearms are so sore from holding the weights after the Leg disc. It hurts to grab things.

What do you do for cardio with the DOMS?

After the Chest, Shoulder, Tricep workout I did Cardio Core Circuit and after the Leg disc I went for a run the next day. My forearms are too sore still to do the Back and Bicep dvd, so today I did All Out Low Impact HIIT.

Hello,

A steady pace (4ds step segments, low impact step segment without weight) workout is usually what I opt for when I am in serious DOMS.
A recovery low calorie protein shake help in extreme cases.

All the very best ;)

You already have great advice here so this is just my chime in. It's a bit off topic of what you were asking about but it might help.

I personally found that having a protein drink within 30 minutes of a Cathe burn fest helps to lessen next day DOMs. If I do a tough circuit workout or do cardio and weight training in the same workout, I mix the powder with a little fresh juice (no more than 4 oz.) and water or coconut water (4 oz or more to taste) immediately following the workout.

In the July 2012 Rotation, Cathe said this:

"...Remember that anytime you do a brand new workout or workout sequence, DOMS may very likely occur. Mild muscle soreness is fine to workout on top of with either cardio or weights. In fact it can help break up tightness and speed up recovery. More intense DOMS should be given proper recovery time of at least 48 hours between weight workouts (light cardio is ok to do with DOMS). So if you are ultra sore during any point in this rotation you'll need to modify it to suit your needs. As your body gets acclimated to the rotation, you'll experience less soreness between workouts...."

Additionally, here is the link to an article in Cathe's Blog from February of this year. It's not long. "Refuel" is the one that might interest you the most but read it all if you have time. It's all good guidance that will help you recover in a manner that keeps you going.

Cathe Friedrich - 4 Steps to a Successful Exercise Recovery

I understand what you are going through. I did an isometric leg workout in the early 90's that left me so sore the next day that I could barely stand up or walk. I had to take two days off work. The workout itself wasn't hard (isometrics can be deceiving) so I was shocked when I needed help to get out of bed the next morning. That's when my husband, who was a weightlifter, told me to use his protein powder after working out. I still get DOMs but they are only unbearable if I don't have protein powder after the workout and for a few days afterward.

Hope this helps.

Fitness Friend,

Teals

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! I do have a protein powder, I will try it right after my next workout. I usually wake up, have a glass of OJ, workout, have breakfast (usually cereal with banana, milk and walnuts) Is the milk and walnuts enough protein I wonder?

Hi, sometimes I make à protein shake for breakfast like: one scoop protein, one stick of celery and 4 baby carrots or spinach, I like to live the fruit for snacks

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.