*** STS 6 Monthers Alumni *** July 2012 *** Fireworks ***

Here's where we hiked today. This place was incredible! Cendrine, another great place to take the kids to learn about volcanoes as it's like another world!

Newberry National Volcanic Monument, Oregon - AllTrips

There's all kinds of hikes and the mains ones for everyday tourists are paved or nicely groomed. But they do have other "hiker" hikes as well. Just depends on what you want to do. There is tons of stuff to do there. Also they have an underground lava cave that takes about an hour to go through but we didn't have the right clothing to do it as it's 40 degrees. An hour of 40 degree weather in a sweatshirt would turn me blue! LOL! Next time!

Rachel - we stopped at an Oregon visitor center and I picked up about 10 travel guides for you for different parts of Oregon. It might be more helpful than just trying to search on the web. If you PM me your address I will send them when we get back. This area I'm in is another spectacular place to visit and is about 3.5 hours from Portland. This is another place I spent a lot of time growing up as we came here to ski. There's white water rafting, hiking, skiing, tons of things to see and do.

After hiking we went to a GF's house and had a BBQ then came back for a campfire. Tomorrow is our last full day and then we head home on Thursday. Not sure what we're doing yet. Ibo has been a fantastic dog and has made friends everywhere we go. He travels great and extremely well behaved.

You are just the best Jo! I sent off to the Oregon chamber of commerce so long ago for info and although they sent me a long email about all the stuff they were going to send...I never got anything!
I was just thinking how hard it was to isolate info on the web!

We are doing a little weekend trip this weekend with some of Dh's friends and their wives so it should be interesting.
I am one of those who hate to leave a dirty house even if it is just for 2 nights so I have been cleaning all day and took a little computer break to sit a minute.
Tomorrow I will get everything together and then off we go on a little adventure! This will be the first time I have spent any lengthy time with these girls...Looking forward to it.

Jo I love the Ibo update...I was wondering if he was a social butterfly.:D

Cendrine We work at so many of those "mega churches" so I know what you mean about size and a sense of a sort of non community which I thought was one purpose for church. There seems to be a lot of snobbery here...even in the smaller churches. It is really sad and maddening at the same time.

Workout was Bootcamp today, with cardio modifications, of course. I think I overdid it yesterday, and somehow the pressure in the weather is affecting my disc terribly the last two days, so I didn't much feel like working out but pushed myself anyway. I caved and took some meds for the pain afterwards, even though I know that the pain meds are probably part of the accumulated toxins in my system. I have only gone through 2 refills in the last 18months, so I know I'm minimizing as much as possible, but today I just thought I needed it.:(

Jo, I love all your great tips for visiting the places in oregon! I so am intrigued by the lava cave! I love walking in caves! We went and visited one in Switzerland too and it was great!

I love that Ibo is such a great camper!

I was surprised you said your trip is already over, I thought it was 9 days? Has it already been 9 days?

Rachel, I personally believe there is a lot of wrong going on in church as a whole, and it feels to me that people are so used to the way it always has been that it is very hard to find people wanting to do things differently and reviving that community/family/friendship atmosphere where you do life together not just wave at each other on Sunday. I'm sure that is why the statistics show that so many are leaving the church, but I could go on for a long time about this topic, have been doing a lot of thinking on this and reading and such and I find it quite interesting.

Kim, do you have a handbag you need a matching outfit for yet? ;)

Jo The park looks beautiful! Those hikes must have been challenging! I wonder how sore you will be! Is your knee okay??

Cendrine, we could have a long discussion regarding churches! ;) I know that I find it hard to find a balance between a small church where you get burn out and a large impersonal church. My parents were not very involved in a church but we had a loose connection with a very "relaxed" type of church but most of mom's family is very involved in kind of strange very fundamental church that seems to have lots of drama. Hope you find a place that you feel comfortable at.
I did a 5 day cleanse that my aunt suggested (she does some naturopathic medicine) years ago. Wasn't really a good experience, I ended up eating a Big Mac I was so hungry! Of course I was about 20 years old.
What kind of cleanse are you thinking of??

Rachael Hope you have a great mini adventure!!!

Yesterday was LIS Trisets Upper Body with DH. Tonight was supposed to be KPC but didn't happen, don't know why but super tired just watching the football game with the guys instead.

No purse yet, but dd is working on it. I'm curious to see if she loses interest before it's complete. She asked me yesterday if I wanted the strap to be green or yellow;) When I helped her pick out the material at Walmart I thought it was going to be for her:eek: It's patchwork with many bright patterns. I don't think it will match anything, LOL.

Hi Guys! In the truck on the way home! Cendrine, yes we had to cut short as DH have clients in (unexpectedly) from the east coast that he needs to meet with tonight. So last night we packed up and drove to moms in Salem, spent the night, and on our way home.

Cendrine, I am so impressed to see you back hitting some of the Cathe favorites again! But be careful! Isn't it frustrating when you think you are going great and then your back complains! Uggghhh!

Kim, just so ya know, the Oregon tips are for you too in case you ever come our way! I really got a chuckle about the color of the strap! It made me remember when I was in the 5th grade and I wanted my mom and I to have matching red gingham dresses for a mothers day tea at our church! LOL! My poor mom! Oh, and complete with full skirts! LOL! But, she indulged me. My aunt made us matching red gingham dresses and we went to the tea. I know it has nothing to do with the purse, but made me think about how moms indulge!

Rachel, have fun!

I will post some pictures when we get them downloaded.

TTYL!

Oh I can just picture you and your mom in your dresses, how cute!!!

Well no workouts for me Wednesday, thursday or Friday:( I could just tell that my body needed a rest, I was just tired, achy and grumpy. Work was really busy that week, and I just needed some couch time for reading, tv. It's funny how I go along doing Cathe rotations, running schedules and then all of a sudden it's like I hit a wall. By body just stops. Always seems to happen that way.

Last night we went to see a performance of Cirque de Soleil. Very interesting show.
Just having a cup of coffee and some quiet this morning and then we are packing the car and going up to the cottage for one night. We'll be home Sunday night and then I only have 4 days of work left before vacation!!

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

I had to take a break from working out on Thursday too, Kim, I think I might be a bit overzealous at times too... ;)
We went blueberry picking yesterday, it was fun, we came home with 10 lbs but I think I'll go back for more, the price seems really good and I have a big freezer I can fill... :) I use them all the time for Smoothies.
Today we went to IKEA to pick up school desks and some other things (now that our house closed and our credit card recovered from the roof and heat pump, we finally had the funds...lol. I'm looking forward to finally set up the school room!

Jo, now that I've been here a while I actually know where you were when you say Salem... I feel like I should wave to the freeway knowing how close you are!

Kim, what kind of cleanse was it you did? The one I'm looking at is called arise and shine. I think I'll do well on it since it's got good nutritional support. I'm kind of impatient to start, now that I've decided... lol

I don't remember the kind of cleanse it was many years ago. I remember green shakes things that we okay the first few days but got hard to get down by the end of the week.

Had a good time at the lake, still very hot and the kids just want to waterski/swim lots. Everyone sleeps well by bedtime.

On the countdown to summer vacation only 3 work days left!

No progress on my weight loss this week, but I kind of expected it. I had a harder time this week, felt hungry more often and it's getting close to that time of the month, so I'm thinking this probably explains it.
so I'm just pluggin along, sticking with it. I did high step challenge again today, and have an itch to try intensity tomorrow. I know I did it once when I first got it with low impact modifications, so I think I'll be able to do it. I have gotten much better cardio wise.

Kim, what are you doing on your vacation? I hope you get some good relaxing in!

Went to the goodwill store just down the street because ds said he didn't have enough shorts anymore and it occurred to me that we have moved away from all our hand me down friends....lol! So that's why we went, found the shorts, also found winter jackets for both, and a big girl bike to boot practically unused for only 24.-, of course then dd wanted to start clothes shopping and said all the cute stuff was going to be gone by the time she outgrew her current clothes....:rolleyes: Remember, she has only just turned 6.

I'm dehydrating zucchini from my friend's garden, I sprinkled them with garlic, onion, smoked paprika and salt and cut them in thin slices, they are thin and crunchy, chip like, quite fun!

The zucchini sounds yummy Cendrine. I did plant a little veggie garden this year again. Had to miss last year as the builders were still working on the lot. I am starting to get beets, peas, tomatoes and cucumbers! The lettuce does look like it's going to be any good though.

I forgot to post my exercise for yesterday, it was the new workout, To The Max, that is a crazy hard workout!! It was the second time I've done it. I thought maybe I was just really tired the first time but it is just a crazy hard workout. I think it will always have a dread factor. Then today was Imax 2, I am following the July rotation but kind of tweaking it as I go.

Oh, cendrine, I think you have a little shopper!! She already has an interest in fashion!

Not much on the agenda for my 2 weeks off and that is fine with me! I hope to watch some of the Olympics and probably will go out to the cottage for an extended weekend over the August long weekend. DH is working, we took mostly different holidays this year just so someone was home with dd more often. We do have 2 weekends away later in the summer. We are doing a our usual Minneapolis trip for 4 nights and then out to Saskatchewan for my cousin's wedding.

GF's! Hello! Sorry I've been MIA - have things to update you on but don't have time right now. I'm back to work (more on that later)!

Rachel, DH sent your package for me today!

I'll try and get caught up this weekend!

Hope you all are well!

Congrats, Jo! Can't wait to hear the details!

Workout for me the last few days was intensity with low impact hint and bootcamp, high step circuit with higher step level for cardio plus the bonus cardio from license to make It an hour, that got me good and spent, and now I'm gearing up to do low impact challenge.

The kids tried out the new slip and slide yesterday and loved it...;) they have been listening to audio books from the library lately, yesterday they were glued for almost 3 hours, an entire book!:eek:

OK, gotta get going...

I'm off on holidays early! But that's because I got poison ivy again!!!! I'm super allergic to poison ivy and have had 3 really bad cases over the years, I try to be super careful when we are camping/at the cottage. There was lots at the cottage and DH and BIL cleared it away from the boat dock but somehow I ended up with it on my face/neck! Usually I get it on the ankles because you walk by it. I'm not sure how I got it on my face, I'm wondering if somehow my beach towel got oil on it??

Anyways I look like I have the mumps my face is swollen, and I have open wet blisters from my right eye all the way down my face and neck, also a small patch between my fingers on my left hand. Just super gross!! It's been slowly developing since Monday but I was in denial! Anyways got so bad that I ended up leaving work early yesterday and cancelled patients for today and then I was on holidays for 2 weeks. Going to lie low for a couple of days, no workout yesterday and probably not today.

Oh, curious to hear your news Jo!

Cendrine, that's funny I got my kids a slip and slid this year too. I thought they would be too old ( and so did they) but when I set it up a couple of weeks ago they used it tons!

We have not had internet all week!
We finally got it "fixed" but it is just working on the laptop now. So sorry for the MIA!

Work is keeping us pretty busy right now.
And it's hot and I have a workshop going on every Tuesday for the next 4 weeks. So I am having to try and help DH find a fill in for me on Tuesday since the job is quite a drive and by the time the workshop is done it would be too far to drive.

Jo, you are the best! We got the package and are pouring over all the information! We are still not sure what we are going to do! Oregon is overwhelmingly beautiful! I am looking so forward to it!

I am sorry I have not had time to catch up with all of your posts. I am just swamped with all the work and then trying to fit in studying in my spare time.
Kim, I am finding the anatomy pretty interesting. At least how it pertains to yoga anyhow:cool: There is so much I am just trying to take it one day at a time.

Cendrine It sounds like you got some good deals at goodwill! I love it when I find a good bargain...

Have yall been watching the olympics?

Kim, I'm so sorry to hear about your poison ivy ordeal! What is there that you can do to speed up recovery? I've never had a run in with it and honestly haven't educated myself about how to treat it. I hope you are feeling better today! How long does it usually take to recover?

Jo, I bet you are real busy, can't wait to hear your update!

Rachel, it sure sounds like you are in a really busy season! How hard is it to find help for Dh at work?

I am happy to report that the scales moved again today...lol! I upped my workout times a Tad last week and o ly snacked on veggies, nothing else, and that seems to have worked out well.
I did the 80 min step and weight circuit premix from sjp, so fun, that one, very enjoyable music!
I think for tomorrow I'll do one of cathes first step DVDs. I'm having fun taking a cross DVD trip through cathe land!;)

Cendrine, I ended up at the doctor's on Friday and got cortisone cream and oral Steroids which did wonders it's almost cleared up!

But poor DH, who has never had poison ivy and is rarely sick, is covered head to toe in blisters. I feel so bad for him. He hasn't had a family doctor to get a steroid prescription from although he has an appointment today to interview with a new famly doctor. He made this appointment weeks ago with a new doctor's office that is opening in the area because I've been bugging him to get a family MD, it's suppose to be just a meet and greet with the dr. but hopefully he will give a prescription for something because he looks awful!! He has missed 2 days of work already although he is doing some work at home. The kid's pediatrician recently retired so they are also going in to meet this new family MD.

So I'm on holidays this week but DH is home sick, with my terrible rash I hate to out in public and it's crazy yucky hot. I feel a bit like a prisoner in my own home. The heat makes the rash itchy. Open wounds shouldn't go swimming in a public pool. I did take the kids to a local beach with their cousins for a couple of hours yesterday. I've done a couple of short workouts. So far not the best holiday. We are watching some of the Olympics, 2 bronze medals so far for Canada!

Glad you are enjoying the anatomy study, Rachael! It's a subject that you can study for years and never feel you know anything!

Cendrine, I'm glad that you have seen the scale move!! And you sure seem to be enjoying your workouts! The scale has gone up for me but I hope it's due to taking the oral steroids.

Oh Kim! I am so sorry about the poison ivy...I had never had an allergic reaction to it. DH was severely allergic so I would pick a day when he was gone and eradicate the yard of it. So one year I got all these black marks on me. They were very small and no one knew what they were. By the end of the night I was covered in poison ivy! No one I have ever known has ever gotten it in that manner. It was awful and needless to say I just spray it all down now with brush-b-gone!

Cendrine, I love that the scale is moving. It is amazing how a few minutes in the right mode can turn into a few pounds on the scale!
You would think with the economy that we would have no trouble finding people that want to work but people just really want to get paid...not work.

We are busy but I got to take the day with my teacher today. I am a lucky girl and it is not lost on me. I know that a lot of people are not as fortunate and are missing out on the opportunity to practice with her due to the odd time of the workshop.
It is funny how much hearing from her how much I have improved does to me. Esp. while in my head I am constantly making adjustments. I feel so far away from the end goal (not that there ever is an end) but when she compliments my practice...it just gives me an incite I didn't have...

Ok enough of the yoga talk!
We are sweltering down here too Kim so I am right there with you...Looking so forward to our trip to OR! DH is getting our drive down the coast all planned out.

Cendrine, when are you going to be gone again? We will be in Portland sometime on the 23rd of Aug and there for about 2 days before we leave for exploration!

Oh, good, Rachel, we will still be in town on those days! It'll be so fun to meet you in person!
I know what you mean about getting compliments from your teacher, positive feedback is so incredibly powerful! Good job on all your improvements, it's exciting to see you grow so much!

Kim, I hope you're steadily healing and that your Dh got a prescription out of his meet and greet appointment! Poison ivy is not something I've heard of until I moved to the states... I'm still uncertain about identifying it and just generally avoid all look likes because I'm. So unsure... has worked for me so far....lol

We are enjoying some lazy days at home, the kids are listening to tons of audio books while building things and doing art, reminds me of when I was a kid, except we only had tapes...

Workout yesterday was power Max, it got me good and tired, and today I did the low impact circuit premix from 4ds.

Off to read, but thinking of you, Jo!

DH and the kids got to meet their new family doctor yesterday. He seemed very nice! They are going back for annual exams in one month this was just a meet and greet but he took pity on DH and gave him a prescription for 8 days of prednisone, and cream. He did go to work today but it's going to take awhile to clear up. My poison ivy is much better but not gone! Still quite itchy at times.

DD and I kept busy today with some shopping and a super long bike ride. Now we are busy watching the Olympics.

Glad you are enjoying some lazy summer days Cendrine, when are you starting up school???I forget when is your cruise?? Are the kids excited about it? I'm been spending some of my down time due to poison ivy researching resorts for a hot winter vacation.

Rachael that's great that you have had some extra time with your instructor!! It sounds like there is lots of yoga enthusiasts in your town! Do you think you will teach when you have done your course?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.