*** STS 6 Monthers Alumni *** July 2012 *** Fireworks ***

Jo, I'm so sorry about your migraine, I have been struggling keeping them at bay too. I think it might be time to see a doctor, self-medicating so much doesn't seem the best option.
I still made myself workout today, C&W, but it's definitely hard when your head feels in a vice... I was hoping all the bloodflow would make it better, but it's much the same...:(
I'm not really bothered by the weather, Jo, thanks for your concern, but I guess I knew what to expect and it's ok. Of course I've only been here a month...lol talk to me next february...;)
We loved Sliver Falls yesterday, gorgeous place, I'm definitely going back there, so beautiful! The kids loved it too, lots of exploring.

So, Jo, are you going to meet your old boss and see what he has up his sleeve?

We have guys working on our furnace today and tomorrow. I don't really know much about the technical side of things, we are having a heat pump put in, dh's present to me so I can be warm... very sweet of him, I hope it's as good as everyone says it is.

Kim, that's amazing, how your ds has adapted and improved! I'm so glad he is able to function so well! I hope he will get to drive and feel the fun of independence. Our dr said we still need to get glasses too, and that he can't wear the contacts for long periods of time while he is growing. So I'm thinking he is probably going to wear them when we go out most of the time and probably get back his glasses at home or something like that.

How fun that you have your dvds! Enjoy them and let us know your opinion!

Rachel, hope all is well with you!

Actually getting reception at that cottage! Last week couldn't get anything. Got up early and did GS BSB before work on Friday then came straight here after. Decided to finish up the June rotation although I watched the new DVDs and they look awesome!

Did you see cathe's announcement of a new series on ask cathe!!!

My scale weighed me in at 2 lbs lighter than last week!:) that sure is motivating to me, that and the fact that it's finally hot out...lol!
I'm still very conservative as far as weights go, and even so I'm getting good doms! I did the same workouts as last week, slowly increasing the weights. I might do another week of this and then move on to another set so I don't get bored. I'm able to see definition both in my arms and legs and I love it! Gotta love muscle memory!

Good news, our California house closed escrow last Thursday night! I'm so happy all the loose ends have now been tied up! Things worked out so smoothly, it's wonderful!

Kim, how was your weekend at the cottage? Such a fun place to be able to go to! How long does it take to drive there? Dhs family have a place on Hood canal, maybe now that we are closer, we will do some weekends there. I know the kids would love it.

I saw the announcement of the xtrain series. Looks like fun! I might work on saving up for a spin bike...

Jo, did you meet your boss? What are you up to?

Rachel, have you had time to do any reading for your training? How's your dad? Is your Dhaka still on the vegetarian wagon?

Sounds like you are having a good day, the scale is down, the house details are done!

The cottage is about 75-90 minutes away, it is quite beautiful. Our city is surrounded by lakes and it's quite common for most people to have access to some kind of cottage at one of the lakes.

I'm still moving along with the June rotation but yesterday I replaced Athletic Training with CrossFire. I really enjoyed it! There was so much variety that the time flew by. DH did it with me and he also like it. It was very intense, basic choreography and little equipment changes.

I'm very excited about the new workouts!

Cendrine, I was wondering if dhaki was Swedish for husband:p.

I am just in for a quick minute.
My dad is recovering but it seems very slow. I am pretty sure that he will not ever have full lung capacity again but he seems to think he can still do everything that he always did and he had a mild anxiety attack the other day when he over did it. :confused: I am hoping it was sort of a wake up call for him but I sort of doubt it.:rolleyes:

We are working pretty steady and we are getting ready for a little weekend trip next week with some friends from high school...should be interesting:eek:

I have started reading Cendrine and making some flash card to help with my sanskrit. Oh and yep DH is still on the vegetarian wagon but he hates it when I say he is a vegetarian:rolleyes:. So silly!
There really are a lot of things that I found for him to eat. I am surprised on the products that they are adding every day!

OK got to go clean the kitchen and get ready for the evening! TTYS

Yeah Cendrine on the house! Yeah Kim on the DVD's! Yeah Rachel on your dad and (vegetarian but not vegetarian dh!) LOL! A new series??? OMG! I have got to get back in shape! I have been doing all kinds of things like Cathe, old Jane Fonda, even TaeBo trying to break through the weight issue. I haven't weighed but I think I'm retaining water from the workouts. I'm eating really good, but not feeling changes yet.

Okay, quick update. I have been so busy doing house projects and was trying to help with garage sale for the friend with the sick daughter. (How did I ever work?) We are going camping tomorrow for 9 days so will try and post pictures, etc. This is the first time out with the 5th wheel so keep your fingers crossed! LOL! There's a lot going on. Meeting old boss a week from Sunday.

Are you ready? You guys are going to think I'm OUT OF MY MIND!!!! Ready? I don't know, maybe I shouldn't tell you but...are you ready? Big sigh... I applied and was immediately accepted (because of my 4.0) to graduate school. That's right! I'm going to get my MBA. I started Monday. But! I'm ONLY doing one class at a time. No hurry to finish this at all! I know I know...I should give myself some time... but there's no time like the present!!

Okay, I'll be scarce still for another 10 days or so but will try to post as have access. We will be doing lots of hiking and the weather is supposed to be fantastic so maybe my butt will shrink! I'm looking forward to this break! Already got my homework done for the next two weeks so I don't have to worry about school!

Talk to you all soon!

Oregon Sites

Rachel, I haven't forgotten about providing you some destinations for when you come to Oregon. Here's a couple:

1. Seaside and drive down Oregon coast - the Oregon coast is very beautiful and rugged. When I was growing up in Salem, Oregon, we were an hour from the coast and an hour from the mountains. Skipping school offered many options! LOL! Actually I only skipped school a couple of times, but it was always to the coast! Check out this link (it's a little over an hour from Portland):
Your Visit - 30 Things to Do - Welcome To Seaside Oregon | Visit Seaside Oregon | Lodging in Seaside OR | History of Seaside OR

2. Cannon Beach/Haystack Rock - since you're already at the coast, you must go to Cannon Beach!!
The Columbia River - Haystack Rock, Oregon

3. Mt. St. Helens - it's only about two hours from Portland (in WashingtionO, and it would be a shame to be this close and not go see it! On a clear day you can see it from Portland. We're actually camping there tomorrow.
MountStHelens.com Information Resource Center & Visitor Guide

4. Crater Lake - OMG, this is fantastic. It's about 5 hours south of Portland but one of the most spectacular sites you'll ever see!
Crater Lake National Park - Crater Lake National Park

5. Mt. Hood - I learned to ski here and it's about an hour from Portland. We could ski year round because of the glaciers! It's very beautiful and if you're familiar with "The Shining" this is where they filmed it. When DH and I were dating I took him here on our first weekend getaway (him being an Ohio boy was bigger than the hills in Ohio! LOL!)
Timberline Lodge

These are just a few things to take a peak at. At all these place you can hike and get plenty of outdoor exposure. If you have an idea of other things you're interested in, like museums, etc., let me know. I picked these based on my own love of the beauty and outdoors. Believe me you will not be disappointed. I'll give you more options when I can spend some more time online. Also, I provided these to you first as these are some of my most favorite places.

Let me know if you are primarily interested in site seeing or want to be active! There are tons of options for things like white water rafting, etc.

TTY all later!!!

Last edited:
Want to add - the Oregon coast is very different from the gulf. Unless it is extremely hot, plan to be on the beach in shorts, barefoot or Teva type shoes and a windbreaker! It's usally windy but you want to let your toes feel the ocean. There is nothing like it and it's probably different than what you've been exposed to before (I'm guessing!)! And, you must have clam chowder as there are no better clams then the clams from the northwest! Okay, I'm biased, but am telling the truth!

Wow, Jo, so many things going on and continuing with school right away! I'm cheering for you for doing it and for doing it one class at a time, too! How exciting, and such a nice long camping trip ahead, I'm sure the hiking will help you get back to your happy size!

I'm taking notes on what you told Rachel about sights. I remember passing crater lake on our move up, we weren't in the stop and see it mood, so we'll have to go back and see it for sure!

Rachel, I'm seriously impressed with your dh for sticking with the inofficial vegetarianism... lol! My family has kind of come to accept that I hardly cook any meat any more. I guess a slow weaning worked for them!lol Do you guys do all plant based or is there room for eggs, milk,.cheese and such?

I am doing well with the eating, like you, Jo, so motivated I actually threw in a juice only day on Tuesday and did very well. I'm kind of thinking of doing a juice day once a week and see how it goes. Have you been using your juicer much?

Am going to show my new friend how to make things in the dehydration next week. She and her family loved my granola sample.

Working out is going well too, despite my headaches, it seems like I'm getting a little better each day but it's sure been a long stretch. Today was athletic step, I could not remember doing any of the choreography but enjoyed it.

Kim, im glad you like the workouts! I didn't order them because I figured there was going to be too much modifying for me, but I'm thinking the new series is one I want to give a try.

Cendrine, I meant to include you with these recommendations but was hoping I could give you some more specific ones when I get to see you in person! LOL!

Okay, we are packed and ready to go... but I have lost my glasses!!! Can you believe it? DH, SS and I have looked for hours and can't find them! I never left the house today so they are here somewhere since I was wearing them when I posted earlier and did my homework. So unless they show up in the morning, I'm wearing 4 year old glasses for the next week (or longer!). Uggghhh!!! What could I have possibly done with them? We have looked everywhere!! Anywho, I'm wearing my old glasses which will get me by, but I need my other ones. Fortunately, I have prescription sunglasses so these will work too...

Hope you guys have a great week and please keep your fingers crossed that I will come back with a smaller butt! Yes, we have hiking on the agenda so the prospect looks promising! Again, I'll post pictures as I can!!!

Here's to smaller butts!!!!

Thank you Jo for all those sites...I am going to copy and paste to our friend who is going with us! I am so excited!

And I think there is no time like the present Jo...I mean why would you wait anyhow! Right now you have the time and I think it's great that you are going for it!!!
Cendrine, we are not that strict. We are still eating cheese and eggs and milk. Although I did read an article the other day about things that "meat" is in that you would never know...One was parmesan cheese, It is used in the curding process...:rolleyes: But I love parm so won't be giving that up yet.

Not too much to report here. We have sort of a busy weekend with friend obligations all over the place but they are kind of spread out.
I am slowly working into study mode. Taking little bits and pieces each day but not full throttle yet...I did almost pike into handstand today and am real excited about that little nugget but who knows if I will be able to do it tomorrow:rolleyes:
Every day is a new challenge and something to practice!

Congratulations (I think) at being accepted into the MBA program Jo!

Finished up the June rotation yesterday with LIS Lower Body Trisets, taking a rest day today and going to start the July rotation tomorrow. Going to try and wake up early to do my workouts so I have time to spend with dd in the evenings. She is kind of bored as doesn't have much to do over the summer holidays. Too old for day camps, too young to work.

Very quiet weekend which I am quite enjoying! The last 2 weekends we were off to the cottage so didn't have much time at home. DD and I went shopping for dresses yesterday as we have 2 weddings to attend this summer. Some yard work and just lots of lazing around time. Going to actually attend church this morning, we have been very delinquent in attendance the last year.

Enjoy your camping trip Jo!

Cendrine Hope you are feeling better! Do you think the headaches are from the climate change??

Rachael Congrats on doing the pike into a handstand! So what is your fitness routine like these days? Do you do your yoga at home and at class? What does your studying entail besides anatomy??

Kim, I still have not integrated workouts back into my schedule...I know I will one day but I feel like I have so much to learn right now with yoga that I just do not have time. I am really learning myself more than ever and I think one day when I do go back to Cathe, there will be a world of difference. I am doing yoga everyday of the week. If we are working I do 3 to 4 at the studio and the other days at home. There are only 3 early days offered at the studio or else I might be there everyday but I do love the practice at home as it gives me time to tweak more.
The only other required book is called The Language of Yoga and it is a book of the postures with the Sanskrit name and the english translation but there are a ton of recommended books and a lot of them are more anatomy but some are on the philosophy of yoga and the history. My gf also did a teacher training program through the studio we go to and I was able to borrow her workbook to see what their curriculum was but I am thinking that they were light on the anatomy part. I am a little overwhelmed at where to even begin studying for that. There is also a selection of book report books. I am not sure how I would categorize them. They are more on the inner self. Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle and Molecules of Emotion by Candice Pert are just two examples of those. I am excited about reading those too.
Poor dd... I love that you are changing your routine for her!

I hope all is well with everyone! Have a wonderful Sunday!

Hi Girls! I'm popping in for a quick Howdy! OMG - so we left Friday and I had to wear my old glasses (with tape on one side) LOL! Then Friday night when we were getting ready to go to bed, DH stepped on my good glasses which were along side the bed by the wall in the RV! Yahooo!!! Fortunately he didn't hurt them!

Friday we went to Mt. St. Helens. Rachel and Cendrine, you HAVE to go there. Cendrine, about half way to the observatory there is a huge learning center with various rooms with short films (4 minutes) etc. about the explosion, history, etc. along with tons of pictures, artifacts, etc. It is fascinating. Last time I was there it wasn't built yet. Today we are in Bend, Oregon and getting ready to go to the Lava Monuments.

Rachel, I am so impressed with your yoga practice! Also, I have read the power of now and think it is a nice compliment to what you are experiencing right now.

Kim, poor DD! Are there other things like craft glasses or something that she could do? I know near my house there used to be a paint shop where kids of all ages could go and make pottery and then paint them. Or you could buy pottery that was already made but not painted.

Cendrine, I am being pristeen on my eating since we left! PERFECT! However, Saturday I had about 12 dorritos when we were in the car. I had run out of snacks (snaps, mushrooms and cherry tomatoes) and was getting cranky with everyone :( as I hadn't had enough to eat! So downed those to make me nice again! LOL!

Okay, got to go - we're headed to a place called Smith rock to hike.

Forgot to add - so far we're all getting along pretty well! LOL!

Last edited:
I pre-ordered! Anyone else do it yet? I don't know how much of the dvds I'll be able to do well with modifications (kick box ones are usually tricky for me) but I just felt like getting them! Excited to get more dvds!

I did high step challenge today and weighed in before the workout 2lbs lighter again! So happy about this! I know it won't always go at this pace, and I sure didn't expect this pace but am loving it, it feels like a jump start! To smaller everything, Jo! LOL! 12 dorritos isn't going to hurt in the big picture (I had a scone with jam and cream, the usual tea sandwiches fare and a strawberry trifle at the teahouse with dd on her birthday and still lost weight! I just made sure I went right back to regular clean eating for the next meal.

Dd got her ears pierced yesterday. The girls at the piercing place told her it was just going to be a little pinch. She got mad at them, saying that it was more than just a pinch, when they were done...LOL! she was easily distracted with a cookie and hot chocolate at the mall where we were. ;)

Rachel, congrats on the pikes to handstand move, that is amazing! Very good muscle control!

Jo, glad you found your glasses! And that they are not broken! DS's glasses come with a loose and break guarantee! never heard such a thing, but sure comes in handy with him, I'm sure!

Kim, how was church? I'm glad you get to spend more time with your dd at night! I'm sure she enjoys that time with you!

Crossfire today. This workout may become my all time favourite Cathe workout. Love it! Have to admit that the last 2 series STS Cardio and LIS haven't been my favourites, I still prefer things like the IMAXs, SJP, and these new workouts may just be among my top Cathe workouts!

I have had major DOMS in my hamstrings and I couldn't figure out why. I think it was from Turbo Barre on Friday. I've done that workout a few times but this was the first time since I got the STS Tower and I think that changed the angle of how I was doing the moves.

Jo, that's funny that you should mention crafts. DD and I went shopping to Walmart yesterday looking for a craft project. She got a supplies/pattern to sew a patchwork purse and has been busy working on that. I have a feeling that I will be getting a gift soon:confused: Will have to find an outfit to match:p Enjoy the camping trip!

Cendrine, of course I preordered:D Sunday afternoon as soon as it went up!! I didn't get the cycling dvd though. I very much enjoy the church service, I always feel so rejuvenated/alive. Are you looking for a new church after your move? You don't mention the church any more.
What a brave little girl you have! What kind of earrings did she pick out???
Congrats on the weight loss.

Rachael You will be busy studying! Studying is not bad when it's something you enjoy.

Just back from hiking. I realize I said we were going to two different places! LOL! We went to Smith Rock today and if I haven't lost weight...well I'll be mad! (We are going to the Lava monument tomorrow) Anyway, I took celery and mushrooms and tomatoes for snacks. On the way back DH wanted to stop at Subway, which he did, and I didn't get anything. I waited until we got back and I ate a salad. He even tried to get me to eat cookies and I refused. My will power is stronger than ever! Okay, back to Smith Rock. We did the hard trail which is very tough and a climb. This really showed me how out of shape I am. We only got part of the way and I couldn't go any further because the incline was killing me knee. So SS was unhappy with me and I told him to go the rest of the way but he wouldn't. So we came down and did a river trail. Anywho, we probably only did about 3 miles but it felt like 10. I'll sleep good tonight!

Cendrine, YES I preorder both DVD and downloads. Did that this morning and forgot to include in my post. Order the cycle one too.

Kim, awesome that DD got started on the purse! When I was about her age was when my aunt got me started crocheting and I went crazy making purses and hats and scarfs. Everyone got crocheted gifts from me! LOL!

Got to get back out with the guys. We just had a brief rain which is why I snuck in here to post! LOL! Fingers crossed I'll be down at least two pounds when we get back! I'll be hiking again tomorrow. Clean eating clean eating clean eating! That's my mantra!

Here's a link to smith rock. You can see from the picture that this is very vertical hiking!! Lots of rock climbers here too! Of course the trail traversed...but it was extremely steep. Anyway, I would have done it if my knee didn't start complaining!

Oregon State Parks and Recreation: Rates

Jo, sorry about your knee acting up, but the pictures look awesome! I hope you find lots of trails that you knee can agree with!

Kim, Turbo Barre is a hard workout for me, I always get sore on that one. Today I have doms from doing high step challenge... hearing you talk about crossfire makes me want to go take another look at it and see if I can't modify it anyway...

I don't know if I shared about church and me, I got very burned out helping with Sunday school a few years ago and took a good year off going at all. Then our church merged and moved locations and was very big and impersonal, so when I went back it just didn't fit my likes any more. I was not sure what to do from here, but it turns out there is a nice church a mile from our house that is small and friendly, and we are making good, closeby friends for the kids, so it works well for now.

Workout was cardio from body Max 2 , I so love that one! Finishing out another juice day today, it's going well. I have been reading up on this 28 day cleanse that has me intrigued. It has great nutritional support and I wonder if it might help my overall well-being. I think my body needs to get rid of some extra toxins that don't seem to budge with my overall good eating... I am sort of looking at possibly doing it after we come back from our cruise in August. Have any of you ever done a cleanse?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.