STS 31 Chest & Back calculations?

Jazcam

Cathlete
Did anyone else have low calculations for disc 31 Chest and Back?

My weight for BB Rows, dead lifts and incline chest flys were about 1-3 pounds too low for 90% 1RM.

Yes

Mine too, off by a few pounds. I increased the weight to what I could handle for 6 good reps, and then updated my 1RMs for those exercises. When I did STS 34 yesterday, they were also a bit too light, so again, I increased the weights. I am hoping this is a sign of major strength gains, and not a problem with the STS formula/calculations.

Nope.

And I hope I'm not repeating myself. My weights were right on. Could not have gone heavier, would not have wanted to go lighter.

Disc 31 was tough, naturally. I chatted at Cathe a bit more than normal, couldn't help it. :)

I won't know if the muscle soreness will be from the workout or the outside work today, but I fully expect to feel it tomorrow. I did a LOT of gardening today, planting and hoeing. Felt good to be out in the sun, but Golly, that's a bit like work!

How's it going for all our other Disc 31 Mates???

I did Disc 31 this morning and didn't notice it at the time but when I look back at my workout sheet, the weights are 1-2 pounds off. I'm not going to sweat it because SNM has always said the numbers are just a guideline and as long as I was challenged on those final reps, I'm happy:)

Did anyone else have low calculations for disc 31 Chest and Back?

My weight for BB Rows, dead lifts and incline chest flys were about 1-3 pounds too low for 90% 1RM.

The weights are correct on the card. In mesocycle #3 you increase your weight by 5%, not your 1RM. Both numbers are similar and for simplicity we often speak of them as being the same, but there is a slight difference for most people.

SNM Follow-up

The weights are correct on the card. In mesocycle #3 you increase your weight by 5%, not your 1RM. Both numbers are similar and for simplicity we often speak of them as being the same, but there is a slight difference for most people.

SNM, I am hoping you will follow up on this. If the numbers are on the WO card are a bit light (I could do more than 6 reps), should we be increasing our weights?

SNM, I am hoping you will follow up on this. If the numbers are on the WO card are a bit light (I could do more than 6 reps), should we be increasing our weights?

Good question and I guess so. This is the problem that I had with my back work. The 6th rep wasn't challenging enough. I'll wait for SNM to answer your question.

Interesting

As I don't have a printer, I've been using the Guide and a calculator to figure the weights to use (like 1.05 X 43 = 45.15, so I increase my weight to 45 lbs.). I wonder if that's why my weights this week are right on target. I did disc 39 squat rack legs today and 6 reps were all I could have done with "good form", and sometimes that 6th one was a struggle.

Or, maybe I'm just lucky :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.