STS 2.0 Total Body Giant Sets

jbliff

Cathlete
I did this yesterday and really liked it. I loved the fact that all three sets are a little different and we get to work our body unilaterally in set 2. I usually don't like repeating exercises but the way Cathe structured the workout made each set fresh and different. I can definitely see myself reaching for this workout many times. I was happy the rep count was not too high so was able to lift fairly heavy.

I liked the new set too!

I just got my set today and so of course I had to do a new workout. I enjoyed the Giant Sets workout and even though I can’t lift the kind of weight Cathe and her crew use, I did heavy up for me. The slow reps really get you good and it’s not dull despite the repetition. The middle unilateral set breaks it up. Finished with the ball abs…without the ball as Jen demonstrates. Very fun and different!

I wanted to wait until the official rotation came out before starting in on any of the weighted workouts, but decided to give Giant Sets a try today, just to get a taste for it. I kept it really light, mostly because I've also been pretty lax with my heavier strength training workouts since the beginning of the year (lots of stressors going on in my life... I wish when I'm stressed my natural reaction would be to work out, but it isn't.)

So, in doing Giant Sets really light. I think will serve as a good wake-up to my muscles, alerting them more serious stuff is on the way. :) I enjoyed it, though. This is personally my first Cathe set where she incorporates hip thrusts into the actual full workout (other than that there's the 100 rep hip thrusts in XTrain, but that's bonus material that I can tend to skip.). I really enjoyed their being present, and I particularly enjoyed the uni-lateral approach to them mid-way through the program.

Definitely look forward to seeing what kind of improvements I'll make when I heavy-up.

STS 2.0 GIANT SETS TOTAL BODY : 52 minutes; 7.8 METS
catheDateDateDateDateDate
Warm-UpRed tubing
Warm-up Squats2x10
Warm-up Squats2x15
Group 1 - 10 exercises; 10 reps each
Squats2x30
Chest Press2x35
Standing Shoulder Overhead Press2x20
Alternating Rear Lunges2x25
Deadlifts2x35
Standing Bent Over Double Rows2x25
Side-to-Side Lunges2x20
Standing Bicep Curls2x20
Lying Tricep Extensions (scull crushers)2x15
Hip Thrusts (w/Mat for cushion)65 BB
Group 2 - 10 exercises; 10 reps
Elevated Lunges on 12" step1x30
Alternating Single Arm Chest Press2x35
Alternating Single Arm Overhead Press2x20
Single Leg Rear Lunges/ Rt then Lft2x25
Single Leg Deadlifts1x35
Kneeling One Arm Row1x30
Single Leg Side Lunges1x20
Single Arm Bicep Curls2x20
Single Arm Lying Tricep Extensions2x15
Single Leg Hip Thrusts30 BB
Group 3
Squats2x30
Chest Press2x35
Overhead Press2x20
Alternating Rear Lunges2x25
Deadlifts2x35
Bent Over Double Rows2x25
Side to Side Lunges2x20
Bicep Curls2x20
Lying Tricep Extensions2x15
Hip Thrusts65 BB
Cool Down/Abbreviated Stretch

I jumped right in and did the full Giant Sets workout and loved it. I matched Cathe on her weights for all exercises and know there are already some I can increase. I wasn't sore the next day, just happily tired. The hardest, and funniest, part was trying to figure out how to get into position for the hip thrusts!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.