Strengthen shoulders without injuring the rotator cuff?

RE: Strengthen shoulders without injuring the rotator c...

Hello everyone!
I've been a Catheite since 2006 and have lurked since then. I just had to chime in on this topic! My son is 16 and had shoulder surgery last June. He is 6' 8" and is a pitcher. He got hurt in P.E. in the weight room doing the bench press. (Tore his labrum) We did not want him lifting heavy, but the teacher insisted and bam, here we are. The surgery went great. (Dr. Andrews in Birmingham) Through all of this he's been rehabing his rotator cuff muscles and told no overhead weights, no pushups.
My son's physical therapist made a DVD specifically for baseball players and softball players to help them train their bodies for their sport. I'm mentioning this DVD because the key workout in it for upper body is the rotator cuff muscles. They are most of the exercizes my son has been doing for almost two years. I think the DVD would be a great visual for any of us (myself included) to work out our rotator cuff muscles. Maybe Cathe will include more down the road! Here's the website of "Rest, Train & Play" www.resttrainplay.com or call 334-749-4040. If you have baseball or softball players in your home I highly reccommend this DVD!
I hope this can help us and our ball players!

That's what I thought - you aren't supposed to turn the thumbs down on lateral raises. Somewhere I have the 7 minute rotator cuff book and they also say not to do that.

Hi!

Just wanted to tell you that the thumbs down rule was not for weight exercises, it was just for my cardio arm movements. And it was only for below 90 degree movement. Sorry if I was too general in my previous post.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.