Strength Only Rotation

Seabush

Cathlete
Has anyone ever done a short (3-4 weeks) strength only rotation (no cardio)? What kind of results did you get?

Crystal

Crystal, I did this last summer with a 6 week S&H rotation. I will say that my results weren't so great, but the fact is, I ate like a horse with a tape worm.:p S&H just does that to me. I'm on my second week of Body Rx and this program doesn't push cardio, so, of course, I haven't done any yet. My eating is better than last summer, so we'll see how it goes.

What I really wanted to say was that I got the idea at VF.com. On the forum last summer there were a couple of posters singing the praises of a strength only rotation. They got good results. I think if you went there and did a search, you'd find the posts I'm talking about. Very encouraging.:7

I'm currently doing an all strength rotation & have increased my food intake & am getting TREMENDOUS results. I've lost an inch from my hips & waist (each, not total). I've lost .5 inch from my thighs. I'm stronger & seeing muscle definition that I never would have believed.

You can see the rotation I'm currently doing by going to www.fitnessvideofanatics.com & clicking on rotations. The rotation is called the Physique Transformation Conditioning Phase rotation.

I've been doing it for 4 weeks now. I'm really enjoying it & am actually dreading having to add cardio back in 3 weeks.

Deborah,

Your rotation looks interesting. I'm looking at it as it appears to work as follows:

Week 1

Biceps - 4 times per week
Triceps - 4 times per week
Shoulders - 4 times per week
Legs - 3 times per week
Back - 4 times per week
Chest - 4

Week 2

Biceps - 2
Triceps - 2
Shoulders - 2
Legs - 3
Back - 2
Chest - 2

Week 3

Biceps - 3
Triceps - 3
Shoulders - 3
Legs - 2
Back - 3
Chest - 3

Week 4

Biceps - 2
Triceps - 2
Shoulders - 2
Legs - 3
Back - 2
Chest - 2

How did you come up with this particular combination using these tapes?

Crystal

I just threw it together on the fly. I did it in it's entirety but got bored by week 4. It wasn't designed in weeks, if you look at the tapes, I just put the tapes in order & rotated them through as I created the rotation.

I will say that my arms are much more defined than when I started & my hips are 1.5 inches smaller. So, doing no cardio worked for me! I'm currently doing the Tank Top Rotation but leaving out the cardio.

Hi Deb! I see you mentioned you increased your food intake? Can I ask by how much? I recently(a week) increased my food intake as well and am hoping for good results. I'm keeping the foods clean and am surprised I'm having no cravings! I also increased my strength/endurance training but I don't think I'm capable of NOT doing cardio!!;-) Susan

I looked at your rotation and my first thought was ouch:) Do you feel like you are over training ever or is that why you only do it for 4 weeks. I have been getting into doing more strength but I am afraid of over training. Can you explain why this workout is not over training muscles and explain over training. Is it more about following cetain rules or is it really just how your body feels. Thanks for the help!

>I looked at your rotation and my first thought was ouch:) Do
>you feel like you are over training ever or is that why you
>only do it for 4 weeks. I have been getting into doing more
>strength but I am afraid of over training. Can you explain
>why this workout is not over training muscles and explain over
>training. Is it more about following cetain rules or is it
>really just how your body feels. Thanks for the help!

I'm following this rotation to a degree this month. I've modified it because I do think you are over training (e.g., working the same muscles two days in a row) if follow it as outlined.

Crystal

HI!

I JUST TRIED TO PRINT THE ROTATION " PHYSIQUE TRANSFORMATION CONDITIONING PHASE" FROM FITNESS VIDEO FANATICS AND FOUND I COULDN'T PRINT ANYTHING.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

THANKS

KRIS

I almost never come in to this forum so I didn't see all the questions regarding over training & eating--I'll try to answer everyone's questions.

Overtraining is just what is sounds like, basically over using your muscles to the point that they don't have time to recover. I didn't have a problem with over training because I put at least 48 hours in between working body parts. Also because each tape works the same muscle group but in a different way, you won't have as many issues with overtraining. Also, in the case of doing S&H Triceps/Biceps one day & then MIS the next, you will work lighter on MIS than on S&H so that will also not put you into a position of overtraining. In all cases, you definitely want to listen to your body. If you are too sore from doing one tape & will be using the same muscles in another tape, you might want to skip that part. Safety first, always!

I did the rotation for 4 weeks because when I designed it, I was using a program that I had hoped would keep me in that "phase" of no cardio for no more than 4 weeks. That turned out not to be the case. I ended up doing no cardio for 2 months. I had NO adverser weight gain effects even though towards the end I was eating 2700 calories a day (I'll explain that in a second). I quit doing this particular rotation just because I was simply board & wanted to do something different after 4 weeks. I bore easily. I'm currently doing the Tank Top Rotation for 12 weeks but to keep myself from getting bored with the rotation I'm mixing up my leg workouts & my total body workouts (subbing PS-Strong Legs for Leaner Legs & ME or PH for MIS).

As for increasing my calories, I eat SO completely clean it set me up for "deprivation binging." However, I didn't gain any weight in 2 months of increasing my calories from 1500 one week, to 2770 calories 7 weeks later. My calories increased 200 calories a week for this time period. I found this type of eating too restrictive & ended up quitting the program. I'm using WW & eating about 2100 on days that I workout. Even doing this, I should still lose weight according to their program. I'm looking to lose 15 lbs of body fat.

I haven't had any problems printing from fitnessvideofanatics but what you could try is highlighting the calendar portion of the rotation page, copy & paste it into a Word document. Print from there. If that doesn't work, click on the "how to use this site" button at the top of the page & then click on the "ask a question" button to send the webmaster an e-mail. I'm not that much of techie that I can be more assistance than that, sorry.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.