Streaming lag

miniginny

Well, I'm really enjoying the Cathe on demand service, but I'm having trouble with the video lagging. I've been using my iPhone connected to my TV. Is there anything I can do to help with this? It's really frustrating to have to keep stopping to press play again.:(

(I also watched the Cathe Live video on my macbook today & had the exact same trouble)

I was not able to watch on my Ipad but was able to watch on my laptop and it was really choppy. I tried to wait for video to buffer but that did not help any either so I was unable to view the video. My internet is pretty fast so not sure why it is doing this. I'll try later to see if there is any improvements. I want it to work so bad!

Choppy video

Streaming quality is pretty much dependent upon your internet connection and your computer or device. What Internet type and speed are you using?

Some suggestions

144 mbps is a lot more speed than is necessary to watch Cathe Live. Plenty of people with cable modems of only 4 mbps and are able to watch without any problems. It's always a good idea to test your actual download speed on site just in case you're not getting the advertised speed. You can do this at a test site like Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test I doubt this is a problem, but it is worth a shot.

To help you further I really need more info.When you say the "video is lagging" do you mean it stops completely or just buffers and stutters sometimes? I just need a better understanding of your problem.

When you use your phone and laptop are you using wireless to access Cathe OnDemand and Cathe Live? If so what ISP are you using?

Also, what type of iPhone do you have and how old is you Mac?

As for the difference between us and say Netflix is we stream a higher quality video than Netflix. This means you need download speed and a slightly better computer than would be required to run NetFlix. But we're only talking a difference between say of 2 mbps. Netflix needs about 2 mbps and we need about 4 mbps to play our highest encoded HD videos. Most cable modems are 4 mbps or more. Your at 144 mbps so if you're getting 144 mbps you shouldn't have any problems related to your download speed.

Some things I can suggest without knowing any details is to try rebooting your router and also your computer. This can solve many issues sometimes.

Make sure your ISP does not throttle down large video files or have restrictions and that you don't have anti virus software or a firewall that is pausing the video download because it is trying to scan the file.

If you have an old computer try seeing if you can borrow a friends computer that is newer and see if that solves your problem. An older computer that is lacking in resources will cause a video file to be chopping and lose sync occasionally.

And one last thing I just thought of, make sure your Flash is up to date. Our streaming for desktops uses Flash.

Last edited:
I-phones

Does this also apply to Iphones? I could not get the video to play through my phone on my TV. I have a connection to play my Iphone through the TV and it just wouldn't work last night. I have been able to do the other Cathe videos through the online service but not the live one.

Michelle

Mobile devices

Yes, any mobile device that uses HTML 5 instead of Flash would have had an issue playing the recorded version of the live class yesterday. This includes all iPhones and iPads as well as many other phones and tablets using HTML 5 This problem has now been fixed, but you may need to clear your browsers cache.

Reboot Your iPad to Clear the Cache

Try rebooting your iPad. You need to kill it completely, not just put it into sleep mode. We just tested on our iPad and works fine.

I've been having all kinds of problems, with all of my devices. It worked fine on my main computer, but that's not in my workout room. Every device was different: some were slow and choppy, some gave me a message that the content was not available, some played fine but I couldn't get them to connect to my TV properly.

I am reluctant to pay for a subscription until I've got the kinks worked out on my end. Would you be able to post a "test" video that we can use to make sure we have the technical capability to stream the video properly?

Try rebooting your iPad. You need to kill it completely, not just put it into sleep mode. We just tested on our iPad and works fine.

I did and it's not working for me. Maybe I am doing something else wrong. Where should I be accessing it from? When I go to Cathe live on my iPad it gives me an option to subscribe, but not to log in?? Works fine on my macbook pro.

Problems with Stream

With the exception of the Cathe Live video that didn't transcode properly yesterday we really haven't had any major issues. The Cathe Live recorded video that had a problem only affected html 5 mobile devices like iPhones, iPads and many tablets and other phones. If you clear your cache on these devices (we suggest rebooting) they should work now.

As for connecting to your TV that is a totally separate issue and has nothing to do with our stream, but if you give us more details will be glad to try to help you. Also, we do suggest making sure you're running the latest version of Flash if you're using a computer.

Just want to know how to get it on my iPad. I cleared my cache, turned it off.... logged back in and it still shows "this content is not currently available online."

If it doesn't work on my iPad, I have no need for it.

I am pretty tech-savvy and know how to work my devices. But what I need is a "free sample" streaming video to experiment with to see which devices will work. I really don't want to pay $10 only to find out that I just don't have the right setup.

Last edited:
How to Log in to Cathe Live or OnDemand

I did and it's not working for me. Maybe I am doing something else wrong. Where should I be accessing it from? When I go to Cathe live on my iPad it gives me an option to subscribe, but not to log in?? Works fine on my macbook pro.

It sounds like you're not logged in. You just have to click on the MyAccount link at the top of the Cathe Live Stream | Cathe Video Streaming page and log into your account. Whenever you see the subscribe button it means you're either not logged in or haven't joined yet.

Trouble streaming on some devices

Honestly, I am pretty tech-savvy and know how to work my devices. But what I need is a "free sample" streaming video to experiment with to see which devices will work. I really don't want to pay $10 only to find out that I just don't have the right setup.

If you're already subscribed then you already have access to our videos to test. UStream is the largest streaming service in the world, so their delivery system is pretty well tested. You've already said it worked for you on your computer, but you had trouble with other devices. If you tell me what devices you're having a problem with I'll be glad to see if we can help you.

If you're already subscribed then you already have access to our videos to test. UStream is the largest streaming service in the world, so their delivery system is pretty well tested. You've already said it worked for you on your computer, but you had trouble with other devices. If you tell me what devices you're having a problem with I'll be glad to see if we can help you.

I am not already subscribed. I had gone to the Cathe ustream page to test the video that had been there. Now that it is no longer there, I have no way to test what will work. As of right now, if what I experienced this morning is how it will work for me, then I won't be subscribing. I don't think you will be able to help me; this is more of an issue with poor wireless signals in my basement and needing the right video hookup for my devices. I would need to experiment with different setups to see what works and doesn't work.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.