Strategy ? on Pyramid Weights

BeckyG

Hi Cathe, What weight strategy is best on the pyramids? Should all weights be as high as they can, or is it better to leave gaps between the pyramids?

For example, last night I did chest using 8/10/12/10/8. Would it be better to instead do 5/10/15/10/5? Or is there even a difference?

Also can you give advice on increasing the weights. For instance, would you increase 8/10/12 to 8/10/15 then 8/12/15 then 10/12/15?

By the way, I really really liked this type of workout.

Thanks,
Becky

Bumping ... I am interested in the answer to this too. At present I am using the strategy "lift as much as I can" (e.g. 10/12/15/12/10 rather than 5/10/15/10/5), under the assumption that if my lightest weight is too light I'm wasting my time. But I also want to make sure I don't injure myself!

It might also make sense to do "asymmetrical" pyramids. You might go for as heavy as you can on the front end like 12-12-15-12-10, then dropping down more as you felt exhausted, or you might have more energy than you thought and do 10-12-15-12-12. As long as you end up fried, since you only get one chance, there are no more sets.

I agree with mogambo! This is the method I use. For example on the rep range for a set at 12-12-15-12-10. I do this poundage until I can increase that last set at 12. Then I work on doing 12-15-15-12-12. It's madness but it's also fun to watch your strength increase -- very motivating! :)

Hey, Mogambo, Pfive!

I'm looking to get more out UBP too and I'm real curious as to whether you do 12-15-15-12-12 at the same rep speed that Cathe uses (?!). What's your poundage looking like?

I was thinking about cutting the reps in half and using heaviest possible weights. Example: 6-5-4-5-6 and do one half rep to Cathe's complete one. Did that make sense?

Thanks for putting this on.

Julie:7

I'm with Mogambo and pfive on this one.

I vary the weight load based on how I'm feeling that day, especially on the PLB. If I feel especially strong and I'm up at 45 or 50 on the barbell for squats, I'll hang there for the next set of reps before dropping down. That way I feel I am increasing my strength within a safety zone, heck it's only 10 more reps and there's no low ends!!.

On the PUB, I might start biceps with 8-10-12 and then feel that actually I can do more, so I'll quickly rewind and do the -15- set too and then take it down from there to -12-10 and finish at the -10- rather than drop to the 8's. Just depends, sometimes we start too conservatively and amaze ourselves with what we can do.

I do up and down the pyramid with the next weight in the range that is the closest, so always 10-12-15-12-10, and not 5-10-12-10-5. But with the shoulder work I'm down ther e at 3-5-6-5-3, pathetic!!!

But are there necessarily hard and fast rules regarding pyramid workouts?

Clare

Hi Clare,

I wrote an informational post about pyramid style workouts (which fall into a category called High Intensity Training) in the video discussion forum that explains the purpose, etc.

When pyrmading up, the weight should increase by as little as 5% each set. You are so right that sometimes we amaze ourselves by what we can do, so when you rewind and tack on the extra set of 15's for biceps, you can drop your reps down to 6 with that weight if 8 is daunting, and then go back down the pyramid with Cathe.

The trick with these workouts is to find the proper starting weight in a given set that will cause some fatigue by the 12th rep and continue to challenge the muscle group as you move up the pyramid. Up style pyramids are extremely difficult to master, and finding that challenging weight load without a trainer or spotter nearby will take some experimenting.

Pyramid style workouts are a great way to break strength plateaus if the right weight loads are presented, but a day of rest following the workout is critical. I always do some cardio!

-Roe

Hi Roe:

yes, I saw your post with the explanation and loved it. I now have it on my wall at home for guidance and inspiration. Personally, these pyramids work for me and allow me to experience a greater weight range than MIS and PH ever did. I have already busted that plateau with biceps, back and chest. Still working on those shoulders...

Thanks for all your advice. You are right, it can be tricky sometimes deciding which weight to begin with as we pyramid up. I always allow myself leeway to change up or down depending on how I am feeling each day. And I feel safer challenging myself in this pyramid format.

My husband helps me at home as my spotter so I can go heavier with the lower body. I already see the diference and I am amazing myself at how much I can truly squat and lift. I am not the weakling I once thought I was!!! I have pyramid power!!! (my first grader's teacher always tells them they have "fact power" as they learn, so I have adapted this little ditty for my own uses)

Cheers!

Clare

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.